Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-17 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

yeah, and just maybe he's tired of Chicago getting slammed. Others from that area that want to see a severe winter are thrilled with how things are shaping up at this juncture 

Chicago has definitely had the hot hand, two 20" big dogs in 4 years is very impressive. The Iowa crew deserves a good 12-18" blizzard. 

Actually have heard rumblings that we may not even officially hit La Niña status this winter. Crazy. 

Since the demise of the big 2015-16 El Niño in April, the tropical Pacific has been loitering around in neutral… and now forecasters think it’s likely to stay that way through the winter. For now, we’re taking down the La Niña Watch, since it no longer looks favorable for La Niña conditions to develop within the next six months.

47 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Chicago has definitely had the hot hand, two 20" big dogs in 4 years is very impressive. The Iowa crew deserves a good 12-18" blizzard. 

Actually have heard rumblings that we may not even officially hit La Niña status this winter. Crazy. 

Yeah, this is pretty shocking...considering that a moderate-strong La Nina was predicted 6 months ago.  Still time for things to change, of course.

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Expected to have neutral ENSO this winter now. 

figure1.gif

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

It is quite possible that conditions don't reach official Nina status, since you need 5 consecutive overlapping trimonthly readings of -0.5 or lower in region 3.4

18 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I'll be happy as long as we don't get another damn el nino lol.  Three 1"+ events for the whole season makes me never want to see one again.

OUCH! @ that and your season total. Mby's been on a "That 70's show" roll the past three winters. Scored above avg snowfall, even with the strong Nino

21 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I'll be happy as long as we don't get another damn el nino lol.  Three 1"+ events for the whole season makes me never want to see one again.

I would rather have a good DJF and warm MAM.... Lately it seems we get a warm December, cooler January and cold February..... and a cold March & April.

14 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Why do you care? Yea, there are people on this forum who hate winter, but not many.

Well, because I'm tired of warm, snowless winters here in the Pacific NW for one.

I'm also sick of dry NW flow running into March/April and screwing over severe season.

14 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I'm praying for a early start to Winter, but it doesn't seem any time soon.

Halloween Blizzard anyone?

I love winter as much as anyone here, and I'm not ready for it to start "anytime soon". Absolute LOVE Fall first! Then around halloween time bring on the snow. I always use November 1st as my switch.

41 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I love winter as much as anyone here, and I'm not ready for it to start "anytime soon". Absolute LOVE Fall first! Then around halloween time bring on the snow. I always use November 1st as my switch.

Thanksgiving for me. Of course, I'm farther south, but I wish for pleasant, or at least interesting fall weather right on through November, then bring it!

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Thanksgiving for me. Of course, I'm farther south, but I wish for pleasant, or at least interesting fall weather right on through November, then bring it!

My magical snow date is Nov 20th, I have no idea why just sounds good.

In the meantime October is probably the best month of the year for the tranquil weather lover.  The older I get the more I appreciate those vivid blue skies, temps in the 60's, and the smell of fall.   Only thing better is a raging snowstorm.:)

Though it obviously will be plus or minus a few days in any given year, November 1st truly is a switch from nature as well here in SE MI. The last 10 days of October are an amazing spectacle of brilliant color and then as soon as Halloween is over its almost instantly gone. You could take a landscape pic on October 25th and it would be a postcard scene of every bright color imagineable and then take a pic of that same spot on November 5th and it would be all bare. As I said some years run a bit earlier/later than others but the above dates are a good bet most of the time.

Fwiw my mom, a big snow lover, also is in the Thanksgiving camp for when she wants the white stuff to start.

On 9/10/2016 at 1:21 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Though it obviously will be plus or minus a few days in any given year, November 1st truly is a switch from nature as well here in SE MI. The last 10 days of October are an amazing spectacle of brilliant color and then as soon as Halloween is over its almost instantly gone. You could take a landscape pic on October 25th and it would be a postcard scene of every bright color imagineable and then take a pic of that same spot on November 5th and it would be all bare. As I said some years run a bit earlier/later than others but the above dates are a good bet most of the time.

Fwiw my mom, a big snow lover, also is in the Thanksgiving camp for when she wants the white stuff to start.

With last year's pre-Thanksgiving storm, my winter was too long! I had shovel worthy snow(s) in 6 calendar months and more snow in April than December! By contrast, even the record 2013-14 season had all the real snows confined to 4 calendar months. Gimme an active but compact winter and I'm a happy camper.

31 minutes ago, Willh said:

Already noticing a lot of leaf colour changing up here in the Keweenaw. Sposed to have peak colour between the last week of Sept and the first week of Oct.

It looks and feels like fall.

I'm ready for winter.

Fall colour reports for the UP: http://www.uptravel.com/fall-color-reports-56/

I'm not ready for Winter yet, but I am ready for an extended Fall.  Frost adv tonight should push the color show pretty quick... does seem a little bit later than normal.  Peak here probably in 10-14 days.

IMG_5488.JPGIMG_5523.JPG

also saw this guy today

IMG_5524.JPG

On 9/14/2016 at 3:38 PM, weatherbo said:

I'm not ready for Winter yet, but I am ready for an extended Fall.  Frost adv tonight should push the color show pretty quick... does seem a little bit later than normal.  Peak here probably in 10-14 days.  Great pictures!.

Latest Euro, FWIW, has 540 thickness into your area at 240 hr. First flakes by the 27th?

On 9/14/2016 at 3:38 PM, weatherbo said:

IMG_5488.JPGIMG_5523.JPG

also saw this guy today

IMG_5524.JPG

Archived