Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016-2017 Great Tennessee Valley Winter Discussion

John1122

12 minutes ago, Angry Smokey said:

Thanks! Hoping for one more decent snow chance before we move on to next winter

Have some good friends in Elizabethton BTW.  Great place.  The Euro and GFS have been phasing systems or getting close multiple times on each run during the past day FWIW.  We really need a -NAO to have a chance.  Right now the cold is missing from the equation as well and there is nothing to keep systems from cutting on some runs.  That said, the southern jet appears to be really active.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Angry Smokey said:

Good stuff, so best place for models is what you linked above?

I like Tropical Tidbits...Pivotal Weather is also good.  Those two are great free sites.  If you want a little more in depth for a decent price...the model center here on AmWx is good.  I pay for WxBell during winter months, and then drop the subscription after March.    

4 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I like Tropical Tidbits...Pivotal Weather is also good.  Those two are great free sites.  If you want a little more in depth for a decent price...the model center here on AmWx is good.  I pay for WxBell during winter months, and then drop the subscription after March.    

Great stuff thank you! Lurked for a couple years and finally decided to post. Appreciate all the help

3 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

^ Interesting tidbit from this morning's OHX forecast discussion. I think we can all agree regardless of today's trends, we got something on the board worth tracking. At this point, just give me snow somewhere within 200 miles of BNA and I will chase it. IMBY has lost a lot of meaning as this winter has progressed.

I agree, the 18Z run of last nights GFS was a dream run, several opportunities if we just had a little more cold air!

55 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

Here's an example of how lackluster this winter has been so far.....Mt. Leconte averages 100 inches of snow a year, but has only had 8 inches so far this season.  Saw this while reading the daily blog post from the winter care taker up on top of the mountain (http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts)

That is crazy.  I think they will start making up some ground as the Weeklies are a great set-up for Mtn snows late this month and into early spring IMO.  Highly unlikely they make-up all of it...I am not saying that.  But it is the year of the comeback...;)

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

That is crazy.  I think they will start making up some ground as the Weeklies are a great set-up for Mtn snows late this month and into early spring IMO.  Highly unlikely they make-up all of it...I am not saying that.  But it is the year of the comeback...;)

I believe March usually brings the heaviest snows to the highest elevations in east TN. More than any other month on average. 

I noticed the Bradford buds are swelling, and even opening on some of the local trees.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen trees blooming in early February before—not even during last year’s super warm, super Nino.  Depressing, really.  A lot of local fruit orchards could be in for a very bad season if this warmth continues. 

Two perfect track storms in the 7-14 day range and it's a heatwave for both. When LeConte can't even get snow you know it's a record breaker for a bad winter. Those of you in the far eastern areas that pulled 3-6 inches essentially won the lottery this year. We'll see if next year is any better. Right now signals are mixed at best.  As it stands, unless we get a spring surprise, this is the least snowy winter ever in my area. Not sure what LeConte's least snow winter record is, but I'd be shocked if that's not on a solid pace for it.

2 hours ago, dwagner88 said:

I believe March usually brings the heaviest snows to the highest elevations in east TN. More than any other month on average. 

There have been some monsters during March above 3,500'.  If the Weeklies are right...this might be one of those years.  This winter reminds me very much of 89'.  When if flipped warm, we never went back.  But I usually don't throw in my last towel until the second week of March.  The window at the end of the month would be decent if climo wasn't making things difficult.  

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Two perfect track storms in the 7-14 day range and it's a heatwave for both. When LeConte can't even get snow you know it's a record breaker for a bad winter. Those of you in the far eastern areas that pulled 3-6 inches essentially won the lottery this year. We'll see if next year is any better. Right now signals are mixed at best.  As it stands, unless we get a spring surprise, this is the least snowy winter ever in my area. Not sure what LeConte's least snow winter record is, but I'd be shocked if that's not on a solid pace for it.

Let's just hope this isn't one of those bad winter couplets that you speak of....I am riding the solar min/weak Nino/QBO flip train and try to put that truth(bad winters are found in pairs) out of my mind.  LOL.

2 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

It was march 5, 2015 when we got our last 3+ inch snowstorm on the west side of the state.  I would not be surprised if we had a late storm come through into march.  It has happened before and it will happen again.  

As long as the southern jet is spitting out storms from the GOM, anything is on the table.  We just need some cold.

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Let's just hope this isn't one of those bad winter couplets that you speak of....I am riding the solar min/weak Nino/QBO flip train and try to put that truth(bad winters are found in pairs) out of my mind.  LOL.

Honestly I'm almost inclined to include last winter in the bad winter couplet. It was blow torch warm and most of the region was almost snow free.  KY and VA border areas were the exception in the region. Warm/snow drought was the rule. 

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Honestly I'm almost inclined to include last winter in the bad winter couplet. It was blow torch warm and most of the region was almost snow free.  KY and VA border areas were the exception in the region. Warm/snow drought was the rule. 

You know...I did think about that.  I really think the Super Nino just cooked the northern hemisphere. Maybe we can return to a more predictable state next year.

4 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Yeah, Having temps in the 60's for such a long duration in the winter months is a tough pill to swallow.

I have used my wood stove about 25% of what my normal usage would be...Wood for next year will be seasoned better as a silver lining.  But yeah, we have given back 2-3 weeks at a time of prime winter months this year.  Glad I don't own a ski slope... 

45 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I have used my wood stove about 25% of what my normal usage would be...Wood for next year will be seasoned better as a silver lining.  But yeah, we have given back 2-3 weeks at a time of prime winter months this year.  Glad I don't own a ski slope... 

I'm sure your back will be appreciative of a few less swings on the ax this summer/fall, HA.  What do you guys think of the Feb 25-30 strech?  I was looking around and it looks like we may have some favorable conditions around that time frame for a snow storm.  You all seeing anything of interest around that time??

We did finish above seasonal averages for snow here in the Nashville area for the first time in several years. That was thanks to the one big dump in late January of 7+ inches.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Model ►
GFS
Zoom ►
Continental US
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  

share.png
snod.conus.png
Still 9 days out so take it with a grain of salt and enjoy looking at the possibilities until the map goes in a completely different direction on the next run.

With the light snowshowers today the seasonal total for Honaker is now 7.50 inches. To me this seems more like an event that would occur in late march given the thunderstorms that preceded it. A little bit of a shock as well to go from low 70's to upper 20's in 48 hours. It's times like this I can simply admire our mesothermal climate.

I hate to get sucked in, but the suppressed Miller A in the GOM is about what you want to see at this point from the GFS. Take the middle ground between it and the CMC/Euro and the track is perfect. Colder temps are beginning to show as well. Even the northern track edge Euro/CMC aren't far off on temps. Have the storm along the GOM and the area would likely see wintry precip.

9 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I hate to get sucked in, but the suppressed Miller A in the GOM is about what you want to see at this point from the GFS. Take the middle ground between it and the CMC/Euro and the track is perfect. Colder temps are beginning to show as well. Even the northern track edge Euro/CMC aren't far off on temps. Have the storm along the GOM and the area would likely see wintry precip.

LOL.  I know...I am watching it as well.  

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived