joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Great Tennessee Valley Winter Discussion

John1122

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overnight models for the potential stormy period, the Canadian is a 1-4 inch state wide snow event, the GFS was moderately suppressed at 00z with maybe 1-3 in parts of the area. 06z GFS is major suppression with deep deep south wintry weather and cold and dry here.  I don't have the Euro but from 24 hour panels an I 40 and points north event seemed possible. 

00z GEM

snku_acc.us_ov.png

00Z GFS

sn10_acc.us_ov.png

I know it's still 8-10 days out but it's not looking good just can't figure out my weather program on my phone from the weather network is still calling for 8 inches next Friday hope it's right just not much confidence watching the models give snow to Louisiana and not us. Hope for models change for the best in the next few days.

13 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

I know it's still 8-10 days out but it's not looking good just can't figure out my weather program on my phone from the weather network is still calling for 8 inches next Friday hope it's right just not much confidence watching the models give snow to Louisiana and not us. Hope for models change for the best in the next few days.

No reason to feel down.  The setup is there like others have said. That is what matters most at this point.  Most models are a good hit for TN.

30 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

Let's not start the cliff diving yet....this is a process and it may or may not look good right up until show time. If it were easy, this board would not exist. 

Check out this thread from the last big snow here in our area....even the day before was full of uncertainty.....

5 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

CMC not on board. It has the LP moving from Denver across the southern Ohio Valley and then turning into a Nor'Easter.

Least reliable model.  Now if other models start showing that trend then it is onto something.  But I highly doubt it is right.  I believe that run was a hiccup.  From coldest to warmest in 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

Least reliable model.  Now if other models start showing that trend then it is onto something.  But I highly doubt it is right.  I believe that run was a hiccup.  From coldest to warmest in 24 hours.

I agree. The whole run just seems off based on what all the other models are showing. We'll see what the Euro has in store for us.

2 hours ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

The NW trend is legendary on long range modeling. I'm happy with a suppressed look right now. Still lots of potential tracks. Should be a little more clear in about 120 hours!

I was generally encouraged by the overnight model runs and the just released 12z GFS suite.

The lack of activity on the board is a testament to just how far out this is.  What I am reasonably confident in is a snow/ice event SOMEWHERE from the Lower plains and Tn Valley to the Oh Valley area.  The pattern projected will likely be more stable than other patterns you see, primarily because of the size of the blocking in the Pacific/Alaska region, but also in part to a muted block in the northern Atlantic/Greenland area.  This helps increase confidence in a storm, even if 100-150 mile swings have the potential to hose a LOT (maybe everyone) in our subforum for the benefit of those just north of us.

Fairly confident there are at least 2 waves that could provide snow/ice for our region (or just north of here).  Modeling SHOULD be more reliable (as long as we attain the general look shown) and I think we have already seen pretty good consistency (i.e. what was day 11-12 is now 8-9ish).  Still a LONG way out and plenty can go wrong, but all in all pretty good agreement on a period to watch and probably even track by this weekend.

I was generally encouraged by the overnight model runs and the just released 12z GFS suite.

The lack of activity on the board is a testament to just how far out this is.  What I am reasonably confident in is a snow/ice event SOMEWHERE from the Lower plains and Tn Valley to the Oh Valley area.  The pattern projected will likely be more stable than other patterns you see, primarily because of the size of the blocking in the Pacific/Alaska region, but also in part to a muted block in the northern Atlantic/Greenland area.  This helps increase confidence in a storm, even if 100-150 mile swings have the potential to hose a LOT (maybe everyone) in our subforum for the benefit of those just north of us.

Fairly confident there are at least 2 waves that could provide snow/ice for our region (or just north of here).  Modeling SHOULD be more reliable (as long as we attain the general look shown) and I think we have already seen pretty good consistency (i.e. what was day 11-12 is now 8-9ish).  Still a LONG way out and plenty can go wrong, but all in all pretty good agreement on a period to watch and probably even track by this weekend.

8-9 days ? heck the gfs moves precip into west tennessee a week from today . don't sell us short lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looks like it develops a late wave for parts of the TN Valley (central TN, northeast MS and northwest AL) to salvage a couple of inches.  That would be a total hail mary, lol.  Hiccups are to be expected, though this is a distinct possibility (the storm evolution, not the hail mary part).  Hope to see the EPS differ with the OP with regards to the evolution.

To me, it looked like the Euro hopped on the front runner, which halted the boundry from being able to press.  After that, the next system had nowhere to go but north and west..

The Euro going toward an APPS runner is a bit discouraging.  I'm sure there will be flips and flops before the models latch onto the real solution, but the EURO has more weight than most.  The weaker -NAO would definitely play havoc with a good track for the TN Valley.  A strong SE ridge off the NC coast would kill us.  Hopefully this flip is just a FLOP!

26 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Does anybody have any good suggestions on where I can look up estimated snowfall totals for this possible upcoming storm?

Look in the weather links section. But always remember, any of them should be taken with a huge grain of salt even 48 hours before a storm. At this range they are mostly just for fun. They will change dramatically every 6-12 hours as we've seen the last two days. 

At this point I'm pretty sure of two things, that it's going to get colder and that a storm will track somewhere across the East in 6-9 days.  Will it be cold enough? Who knows. Will it take a favorable track? Who knows.  We should get a much clearer picture towards Monday but even then we will probably be struggling for details if the wintry solutions are still on the table. Winter storms here are much much harder for models to nail down than Lakes cutters that are rain events here.

2 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

What does this mean ?

The ENS keep the nw broad flow and don't have the signal for the wound up storm of the OP.  The OP isn't a cutter, it's a storm that starts to bomb in the Rockies and weakens as it heads due east, but it goes by North of us and pulls in a ton of warm air. The ensembles aren't even remotely close to that solution.

For instance, at hour 210 on the Canadian OP it's 53 degrees in Nashville. At hour 210 on it's Ens it's in the upper 10s to near 20.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived