Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Very snowy at Killington.  Fun to be back on skis.  Even though we knew how much it snowed it was amazing to see the snowbanks on the side of the road.  Don't remember if we ever even saw bank like that last year.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

what an entirely different world with a little elevation and away from the coastal plain. I still haven't had a frost yet. A few years back I hit up opening day. I had to walk up an un godly amount of stairs after the chairlift ride, in ski boots. Do they still make you walk up the stairs or have they figured out another way to get skiers to the top?

4 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Very snowy at Killington.  Fun to be back on skis.  Even though we knew how much it snowed it was amazing to see the snowbanks on the side of the road.  Don't remember if we ever even saw bank like that last year.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice!

I saw on Killington's social media they said the 10" exceeded any storm from last year and given it was high water content I'm sure those banks are just as high as any other time.  

What a great week for the mountains.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Nice!

I saw on Killington's social media they said the 10" exceeded any storm from last year and given it was high water content I'm sure those banks are just as high as any other time.  

What a great week for the mountains.

Due to a K-1 Gondola CPU failure, all lifts are currently on hold until approximately 11:00 a.m. See killington.com/conditions for more.

6 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

The NRT is not on hold so if you can hike up to it you can ride that lift.  

If you're going to hike for it, might as well go ski something else...I'd imagine the dense wet snow is skiable on a lot of other terrain as long as you tread lightly as usual in early season conditions.

19 hours ago, Hitman said:

In hindsight, was it worth making snow last week?

Yes without a doubt.  Still piles (surrounded by grass) in the base area and up to 2000ft, but above that it's consistent cover.  Don't know depths as I'm going from the view from afar.  But keeping that white ribbon should give a good head start.  

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yes without a doubt.  Still piles (surrounded by grass) in the base area and up to 2000ft, but above that it's consistent cover.  Don't know depths as I'm going from the view from afar.  But keeping that white ribbon should give a good head start.  

Ya'll making snow again this weekend? Looks like a decent 48-60 hour window.

8 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Looking at the Killington Summit webcam this morning, it looks like the natural snow cover is almost gone.  World Cup Race in 22 days.  Superstar still has snow and the guns should be firing back up today.  They have to be a bit worried.  

Forecast doesn't look all that bad...they'll have a couple solid days of snow making this weekend...then the warmup next week, but it looks fairly brief and more importantly it looks DRY. Avoid the high dewpoint cutters. The ensembles are pretty bullish for some decent cold around mid-month too. As long as they avoid one of those 2-day torching cutters, I think they'll be ok.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Forecast doesn't look all that bad...they'll have a couple solid days of snow making this weekend...then the warmup next week, but it looks fairly brief and more importantly it looks DRY. Avoid the high dewpoint cutters. The ensembles are pretty bullish for some decent cold around mid-month too. As long as they avoid one of those 2-day torching cutters, I think they'll be ok.

Yea you can see where SR made snow on AMX, manmade is like glue

current.jpg

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It snowed up top

http://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/webcams/

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thoughts on CNL selling off its portfolio of resorts to a hedge fund?

Jiminy Peak, Okemo, Sunapee, Sunday River, Sugarloaf

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=498

The ski areas will remain under long term lease agreements with their existing management companies, such as Boyne USA Resorts and Triple Peaks.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:41 PM, Hitman said:

That’s great stuff – not sure how long ago they had to answer the questions, but the calls for opening day at Killington near the end of October were right in line.  It can really happen anytime in October (or I guess even into November in some cases), so going with the end of the month isn’t necessarily a slam dunk either.  PF, that was a great piece of info regarding your uncle and meteorology, I never knew that.

Archived