• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Mammoth Mountain announced its last day will be this Sunday. Pretty awesome that they are skiing in August.

This was last week...still some good bumps:

Mammoth.jpg

Unfortunately, Squaw/Alpine didn't make it to August...the ridge out there this summer was too much to fight in July...their last day was July 15th....still pretty awesome though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread...but I'm looking to buy my first snowmobile for the upcoming winter.  Any suggestions as to the best 2-person snowmobile for around $8,000 - $10,000, either new or used?  Also, what about typical annual maintenance items/costs, how many years you can expect the snowmobile to last, etc.

I will mostly be riding in central/northern Wisconsin, maybe into the UP of Michigan.  Not a ton of miles per year.  I've snowmobiled quite a bit over the past 5 years, but all on rentals due to not having a good place to store it, and having young kids.

I know I can google a lot of this...but I'm interested in the first-hand thoughts from the good folks here.  Thanks in advance! :)

26 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread...but I'm looking to buy my first snowmobile for the upcoming winter.  Any suggestions as to the best 2-person snowmobile for around $8,000 - $10,000, either new or used?  Also, what about typical annual maintenance items/costs, how many years you can expect the snowmobile to last, etc.

I will mostly be riding in central/northern Wisconsin, maybe into the UP of Michigan.  Not a ton of miles per year.  I've snowmobiled quite a bit over the past 5 years, but all on rentals due to not having a good place to store it, and having young kids.

I know I can google a lot of this...but I'm interested in the first-hand thoughts from the good folks here.  Thanks in advance! :)

I just picked up a nice 2011 Ski Doo 600 Ace GT.  It has 2100 miles and I paid $4K.  It is a 4 stroke and as such, doesn't require regular addition of oil, doesn't stink from burning oil, gets great gas mileage and is pretty quiet.  It will not be the fastest sled but will be perfect for my wife and the 13 year old boy when she isn't riding.  I also have a 1100cc 2007 Arctic Cat 4 stroke for me and a 2002 Arctic Cat 2 stroke ZL 550 that my son rides most of the time.  I'm sure that you can get a good sled for the $8-$10K you are looking at spending, especially if you consider looking at used ones too.  Do yourself a favor and get a good covered trailer for transportation and storage.  I don't have one and really wish I did.  I don't know prices in your area but I would think a good used clamshell would run between $1800 and $2500 while other types would be more expensive depending on the features.

How long a sled lasts depends completely on you. How many miles you put on, how hard you ride and of course on how you maintain it all come into play.  If you are mechanically inclined, unlike me, two strokes offer easier home maintenance and repair.  Overall, 4 strokes seem more reliable to me.  4 strokes are much heavier though.  Annual maintenance consists of oil and fluid changes, carbide replacement, hyfax replacement and other minor lube jobs for the suspension and such. I put on anywhere from 800 - 1200 mile per year but I'm lucky, a groomed trail goes right to my front door.   

Snowmobiling can be as expensive a hobby as any but you can always get in cheaper by looking around for good used sleds and searching for deals on clothing and accessories. Don't skimp on them though, a good helmet, boots and outfit will make riding more comfortable and enjoyable.   There are several of us in the NNE forum that ride and I'm sure you will get more input from them.  

39 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I just picked up a nice 2011 Ski Doo 600 Ace GT.  It has 2100 miles and I paid $4K.  It is a 4 stroke and as such, doesn't require regular addition of oil, doesn't stink from burning oil, gets great gas mileage and is pretty quiet.  It will not be the fastest sled but will be perfect for my wife and the 13 year old boy when she isn't riding.  I also have a 1100cc 2007 Arctic Cat 4 stroke for me and a 2002 Arctic Cat 2 stroke ZL 550 that my son rides most of the time.  I'm sure that you can get a good sled for the $8-$10K you are looking at spending, especially if you consider looking at used ones too.  Do yourself a favor and get a good covered trailer for transportation and storage.  I don't have one and really wish I did.  I don't know prices in your area but I would think a good used clamshell would run between $1800 and $2500 while other types would be more expensive depending on the features.

How long a sled lasts depends completely on you. How many miles you put on, how hard you ride and of course on how you maintain it all come into play.  If you are mechanically inclined, unlike me, two strokes offer easier home maintenance and repair.  Overall, 4 strokes seem more reliable to me.  4 strokes are much heavier though.  Annual maintenance consists of oil and fluid changes, carbide replacement, hyfax replacement and other minor lube jobs for the suspension and such. I put on anywhere from 800 - 1200 mile per year but I'm lucky, a groomed trail goes right to my front door.   

Snowmobiling can be as expensive a hobby as any but you can always get in cheaper by looking around for good used sleds and searching for deals on clothing and accessories. Don't skimp on them though, a good helmet, boots and outfit will make riding more comfortable and enjoyable.   There are several of us in the NNE forum that ride and I'm sure you will get more input from them.  

Great info - thank you!

Archived