Welcome to American Weather
Skivt2

The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

1,645 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

King Pine isn't upside down and can't be seen from 89. It's actually east of Conway close to the ME border and is not only still open but IMO one of the best small areas anywhere.  

LOL, King Ridge! Thank you for pointing out my mistake. On my way up to Cranmore this year for a NE Ski Museum event, I took rt 153 to avoid the bridge construction over the Saco, it was the first time I'd been by there since mid-late 70's looked exactly as I remembered. My junior high/high school's ski trips were Saturday at Attitash and Sunday at King Ridge, I think we stayed at the Purity Spring resort. I have a friend who now works there and I see a lot of video footage and it looks like it has a lot of fun terrain. That whole area is very pretty too.

48 minutes ago, Angus said:

LOL, King Ridge! Thank you for pointing out my mistake. On my way up to Cranmore this year for a NE Ski Museum event, I took rt 153 to avoid the bridge construction over the Saco, it was the first time I'd been by there since mid-late 70's looked exactly as I remembered. My junior high/high school's ski trips were Saturday at Attitash and Sunday at King Ridge, I think we stayed at the Purity Spring resort. I have a friend who now works there and I see a lot of video footage and it looks like it has a lot of fun terrain. That whole area is very pretty too.

Yes King Pine is part of the Purity Spring Resort.  That's part of what makes it such a fantastic small area, nearly unlimited water from a spring fed lake.  They've had great snowmaking for over 30 years enabling them to keep chugging along and be profitable against much bigger players.  

On 5/13/2017 at 6:02 PM, gravitylover said:

King Pine isn't upside down and can't be seen from 89. It's actually east of Conway close to the ME border and is not only still open but IMO one of the best small areas anywhere.  

Yup. Went there this winter. Great for my beginner GF

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Correct.

So by far highest peak of that range. 

Believe it or not there was a ski area on Long Island in the 70s. Considering the highest point in is around 300' it wasn't a big deal. They had no snow making and as soon as the  80s LI snow drought hit that was it 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

So by far highest peak of that range. 

Believe it or not there was a ski area on Long Island in the 70s. Considering the highest point in is around 300' it wasn't a big deal. They had no snow making and as soon as the  80s LI snow drought hit that was it 

Actually there were several ski areas on LI when I was a kid.  Bald Hill, Bethpage and one other that I can't remember the name of.  Take a look on NELSAP, they have the info there.

Looks like we might have lift served skiing until June at kilington this year with the cooler air returning so quickly.  

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Looks like we might have lift served skiing until June at kilington this year with the cooler air returning so quickly.  

Yeah its going to be close I think.  I'm watching the webcam every day to try and monitor the amount of melting.  We're just starting to see the S-turn start to melt inwards from the edges.  This is the traditional marker of the beginning of the end.  I'll be curious to see how damaging tomorrow and Thursday are to this region of Superstar.

If they make it to June 1 I'm going to try and head up.  That's a Thursday but they may open just for that day because I'm thinking that every day is going to count when it comes to late may melting.

Either way I'm trying to head up on Saturday.  Already have permission from the wife - so I'm half-way there!

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

The photos I've seen from Superstar look mighty impressive for this time of year.  The very cold first two weeks of May have done wonders for preservation it seems.

I wonder whether the World Cup ice will be extra durable.  Two to three weeks ago or so, last time they groomed, they pulled up some chunks of the World Cup ice into the groomed sugar snow.  It made the groomed section horribly treacherous.  The World Cup stuff is not going anywhere.  It will be interesting to see how durable that bottom layer is.

47 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

I wonder whether the World Cup ice will be extra durable.  Two to three weeks ago or so, last time they groomed, they pulled up some chunks of the World Cup ice into the groomed sugar snow.  It made the groomed section horribly treacherous.  The World Cup stuff is not going anywhere.  It will be interesting to see how durable that bottom layer is.

They have made it to June before, so I have doubt that with the extra snowmaking power and what they did prior to the WC, things should easily be skiable.

Big time spring snowstorm for the Front range today and tomorrow...prob 3 feet or more. The powderhounds will be out at Abasin I'm sure chasing this one.

Pretty classic ULL look and precip pattern:

f33.gif

Yeah nice...should be absolute poundage...the peak is prob this afternoon through about 06z tonight there.

Here's an interesting question. I'm a groundskeeper and a landscape design business owner with many years experience at the top nursery on Long Island. 

Why are the tree lines so ridiculously high out west. It can't just be the wind factor we have here on Lower peaks as they also get extreme winds at high elevations. The sugarloaf fire and fake above tree line skying got me thinking about this 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Here's an interesting question. I'm a groundskeeper and a landscape design business owner with many years experience at the top nursery on Long Island. 

Why are the tree lines so ridiculously high out west. It can't just be the wind factor we have here on Lower peaks as they also get extreme winds at high elevations. The sugarloaf fire and fake above tree line skying got me thinking about this 

Jet stream....i skied at 11000 ft out west with no wind try that even at MWN level.

2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Looks like a fake picture, nobody's interested  in skiing anymore this season. 

Fake? you lost me.

12 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Why are the tree lines so ridiculously high out west. It can't just be the wind factor we have here on Lower peaks as they also get extreme winds at high elevations. The sugarloaf fire and fake above tree line skiing got me thinking about this 

Sugarloaf fire?  Never heard of this, though there was a lightning-caused blaze on nearby Mt. Abraham last June.  However, a day I haven't learned something is a day I've wasted.  (Not original, though I don't know who to credit.)
I'd always thought the 'Loaf snowfields were naturally above tree line, which (looking at Bigelow, and at Katahdin to the north) appears to be slightly above 4,000'.   Unless inhibited by lack of soil, or removed by catastrophe, trees will grow wherever there's sufficient summer warmth for their seeds to mature.  IMO, "tree line" does not include the krummholz belt, where wind and winter desiccation kills any branches above the snow.  However, Dan's "jet stream" answer is also informative.  Base elevations at CO ski areas tend to be 1,000-3,000' higher than MWN, but those base areas usually approach or pass 90F in a typical summer while MWN's record "warmth" is only 72.  Their average daily max in July is 54, which is only about 7F higher than at Barrow, AK.  (I forget the town's current Inuit name.)

Fake? you lost me.
Please check the batteries on your snark detector.  ;)

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Fake? you lost me.

Not really, everones moved on to installs, jogging in 90F heat and Lesco Love Canal.

42 inches in Allenspark CO...36.2 inches in Estes Park.

Classic front range mauling in spring. Wish we lived there...

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Sugarloaf fire?  Never heard of this, though there was a lightning-caused blaze on nearby Mt. Abraham last June.  However, a day I haven't learned something is a day I've wasted.  (Not original, though I don't know who to credit.)
I'd always thought the 'Loaf snowfields were naturally above tree line, which (looking at Bigelow, and at Katahdin to the north) appears to be slightly above 4,000'.   Unless inhibited by lack of soil, or removed by catastrophe, trees will grow wherever there's sufficient summer warmth for their seeds to mature.  IMO, "tree line" does not include the krummholz belt, where wind and winter desiccation kills any branches above the snow.  However, Dan's "jet stream" answer is also informative.  Base elevations at CO ski areas tend to be 1,000-3,000' higher than MWN, but those base areas usually approach or pass 90F in a typical summer while MWN's record "warmth" is only 72.  Their average daily max in July is 54, which is only about 7F higher than at Barrow, AK.  (I forget the town's current Inuit name.)

Fake? you lost me.

I read there was a massive forest fire in 1908 that burned most of the forest in the Sugarloaf area.

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I read there was a massive forest fire in 1908 that burned most of the forest in the Sugarloaf area.

Found this in a Sugarloaf chat site:

1908: A great forest fire in July burned from Burnt Mtn. across the north side of Sugarloaf and west of the Caribou Pond Road toward Crocker Mountain with a total loss of about 5500 acres. It nearly burned the village of Bigelow and the railroad had a rescue train standing by to remove the residents and their possessions if necessary but the fire came only within one-half mile of Bigelow. This fire provided some of the above treeline skiing on Sugarloaf Mountain which we enjoy today.

The Bangor Daily's centennial article on the fires of 1908 (3rd worst 1900 on, behind 1903 and 1947) noted widespread fires, with the most acres burned in Somerset County.  Sugarloaf summit is in Franklin, but only 6 miles from the county line.  The article had no mention of Sugarloaf, not that anything is proved thereby.  Perhaps the fire enlarged an natural bald, as the climate/site tree line is probably lower than 4,250'. 

1 person likes this