• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Today was about as good as it gets for corn snow.  Hard freeze last night followed by temps in the 35-45F range (top to bottom) with full sunshine.  Just the top inch or two softened to peel away corn.

The woods were skiing beautifully thanks to Nature's natural groom from the thunderstorm heavy rain the other day that smoothed everything out.

Tree wells are still fairly sizeable.  Nothing like skiing the woods with a solid base on April 18th.  Snowpack in this zone off the Starr trail is still deeper or even twice as deep as the maximum depth last winter, lol.

17973818_10102950986865530_3988645005511

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Interesting that they have the upgrade your pass option.  The link for that is not currently working for me but if I get my typical Wachusett bronze pass and an upgrade...

You are within striking distance of most of the areas.   The Maine are not not day trip for me but still pretty cool option.

It might even motivate me to plan a Tremblant trip if I buy it. 

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You are within striking distance of most of the areas.   The Maine are not not day trip for me but still pretty cool option.

It might even motivate me to plan a Tremblant trip if I buy it. 

That's the beauty of those passes and what they are trying to do.  Consumers want options and you are right, if you're within 2 hours (generally the max time frame the industry considers a day trip, though some like to push it to 2.5hrs but that's a lot of driving for a day) you can rack up the days at participating resorts each weekend.  And with no black out dates, the vacation periods are free game to get more value out of your pass.

• Like 1

That's the beauty of those passes and what they are trying to do.  Consumers want options and you are right, if you're within 2 hours (generally the max time frame the industry considers a day trip, though some like to push it to 2.5hrs but that's a lot of driving for a day) you can rack up the days at participating resorts each weekend.  And with no black out dates, the vacation periods are free game to get more value out of your pass.

We regularly do 4 hr day trips. That's why Bretton woods offers the insane kids season pass for free. They can't get the day trippers at 3+ hrs from Boston

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 4/17/2017 at 7:59 PM, powderfreak said:

The DesLauriers family is the original family that owned it but my guess is it wasn't necessarily "problems" caused by them, more just a very challenging industry to stay afloat as a smaller to mid-sized ski area.  They started having issues when the price of insurance really started increasing for ski areas...operating costs are astronomical and its very hard to keep a positive balance, especially only when relying on money from Dec-Mar winter season. 

I thought there was a contentious divorce that had something to do with it.  I believe the wife own the base lodge and would not let him use it.  We had to boot up in hotel rooms that year with no food service etc.

16 hours ago, amarshall said:

We regularly do 4 hr day trips. That's why Bretton woods offers the insane kids season pass for free. They can't get the day trippers at 3+ hrs from Boston

That's nuts!  You drive 4-hours each way and ski all day in the middle?  

You are definitely out at the far end of the distribution scale for day-tripping skiers & riders, haha.

Yeah. Sunday river day trip from Duxbury is a regular occurrence. Leave at 5am with my kids in their pajamas.

2 hours ago, Quakertown needs snow said:

Still mid winter conditions at Sunshine. I'd love to spend an entire April thru May there some day. Glad I got tho check the place out several times over the years.

180l.jpg

132l.jpg

I've been following the weather/snow for interior bc, and I dont think they had more than one day at the mountain elevations above freezing since december before this week.  not freezing cold, but amazingly consistent below freezing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I've been following the weather/snow for interior bc, and I dont think they had more than one day at the mountain elevations above freezing since december before this week.  not freezing cold, but amazingly consistent below freezing.

It's been a cold season there...and like you said, not for the extreme arctic outbreaks, but for the consistently below avg temps. One of the few areas that has had a cold winter/spring.

2rXBG.gif

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's been a cold season there...and like you said, not for the extreme arctic outbreaks, but for the consistently below avg temps. One of the few areas that has had a cold winter/spring.

2rXBG.gif

Mt Washington Auto road today at the drift

C9y9g6XVwAAUV_j.jpg

• Like 1

Darn, that's an impressive drift. it has been snowing/icing at Sugarloaf since yesterday it appears looking at their instagram account. Sunshine's normal closing date is late May. You take a gondola up to the base area, it's easy to see how they go so long. 4 hours each way is tough! But I guess if you have two adults driving, it's somewhat mitigated. I've done 3.5 hours - Stowe and Sugarbush - plenty of times but SR is tough because you have a long drive on secondary roads which to me are fatiguing. 

I did Jay Peak as a day trip back in late April 2015...right after that got that 12" upslope snowstorm around 4/25-4/26. That was really pushing the edge of my limit though...close to 4 hours each way. But I got some pretty amazing skiing in. No lines, deep snow cover and powder in the glades.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

Ditto and checking webcams dreaming I was still skiing ;) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I did Jay Peak as a day trip back in late April 2015...right after that got that 12" upslope snowstorm around 4/25-4/26. That was really pushing the edge of my limit though...close to 4 hours each way. But I got some pretty amazing skiing in. No lines, deep snow cover and powder in the glades.

It's exactly 2 hrs from here at the cabin. Toying with the idea of skiing tomorrow with the kids. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, and it would get me to day 30 this year...

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mt Washington Auto road today at the drift

C9y9g6XVwAAUV_j.jpg

That'll be there for a while.  Nice...looks like the mountain passes I saw in Norway in June back in 2011. 

Props to them for clearing that much snow...that road is sketchy as sh*t.

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Darn, that's an impressive drift. it has been snowing/icing at Sugarloaf since yesterday it appears looking at their instagram account. Sunshine's normal closing date is late May. You take a gondola up to the base area, it's easy to see how they go so long. 4 hours each way is tough! But I guess if you have two adults driving, it's somewhat mitigated. I've done 3.5 hours - Stowe and Sugarbush - plenty of times but SR is tough because you have a long drive on secondary roads which to me are fatiguing. 

Definitely a great late-season spot in the Alberta Rockies.  That zone can be brutal in mid-winter...extreme cold and dry that might make a snow weenie go crazy despite being in the middle of huge mountains...but they get awesome early and late season snows once the seasonal jet starts moving north.  They do get a good bit more snow than Lake Louise (close by) which can be the poster child of cold and dry or suppression depression, but the moisture seems to come early and late season there.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that's quite the haul but that one paid off.  I think the longest day trip for skiing that I personally drove was from Albany to Sugarbush which was around 3 hours.

I did do a 4-hour Stowe to Albany round trip for a funeral, but didn't include something as physically tiring as skiing all day.

Lots of coffee, music, podcasts, whatever, ha.

My son and I skied Sunshine Village last year for two days on our Fernie, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke tour and enjoyed. He went back this winter for 2 days at Sunshine Village and 2 days at Lake Louise. He preferred Lake Louise, said the back bowls were a ton of fun. We had very comfortable temps two years ago. This year, my son experienced very cold temperatures. 

Did a 4.5 hour each way trip to Saddleback back in March 2012 during the melt out, skied in hi 70's/low 80's sunshine and then drove back to metrowest - alone - killer day. 

I used to do the day bus trips from Long Island to Vermont before my friends got the house near Stratton/bromely/magic.  The furthest they would go is kilington. 5-6 hours each way. The bus meets up at sundown ski shop on the south shore of the island at 330am. Granted your not driving but it's brutal. Leave at 330am and get back about mid night. And the bus's are always sold out during prime season! 

19 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I used to do the day bus trips from Long Island to Vermont before my friends got the house near Stratton/bromely/magic.  The furthest they would go is kilington. 5-6 hours each way. The bus meets up at sundown ski shop on the south shore of the island at 330am. Granted your not driving but it's brutal. Leave at 330am and get back about mid night. And the bus's are always sold out during prime season! 

my son has been doing that from binghamton to killington and mt snow.  brutal.  better him than me.  Not a big fan of the bus for anything, let alone a 5 hour trip.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, powderfreak said:

That'll be there for a while.  Nice...looks like the mountain passes I saw in Norway in June back in 2011. 

Props to them for clearing that much snow...that road is sketchy as sh*t.

Not just the mountain passes.  On one of my brother's 3 times stationed in Germany, he and the family did a driving tour of Scandinavia, in June IIRC.  That included a couple hours on a narrow road along the central Norway coast, with the seaward side a near-vertical drop into saltwater and the landward mostly like that MWN-Road drift, no guardrails either side and very dense fog blowing in off the water, also very few turnouts.  The only gaps in the snowbank occurred where snowmelt-swollen streams came crashing down from the mountains - no guardrails there, either.  They've traveled to all 7 continents, and that section of road was probably the most terrifying time they've encountered.

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Not just the mountain passes.  On one of my brother's 3 times stationed in Germany, he and the family did a driving tour of Scandinavia, in June IIRC.  That included a couple hours on a narrow road along the central Norway coast, with the seaward side a near-vertical drop into saltwater and the landward mostly like that MWN-Road drift, no guardrails either side and very dense fog blowing in off the water, also very few turnouts.  The only gaps in the snowbank occurred where snowmelt-swollen streams came crashing down from the mountains - no guardrails there, either.  They've traveled to all 7 continents, and that section of road was probably the most terrifying time they've encountered.

Yeah I should've clarified that a bit more...basically any area above treeline looked like that, and up there above treeline is like 1,000ft above sea level, ha.    There are some terrifying roads there...its all huge drops straight to the ocean.  There was some serious snow left in June there in a lot of the places we traveled, except for Oslo area which is further south and right on the ocean. 

Today showed the nastiness that is New England skiing in late April.  Afternoon temps were 32-38F from top to bottom with heavy mist/drizzle. 

The snowpack is so filthy in a lot of areas as an entire winter of debris is accumulating on the top of the snow as it melts down.  Glades here at 2,500ft (below the Fifth Avenue trail) were still skiable but below 2,300ft became too patchy so you have to exit. 

18033306_10102955167487530_3247523389974

Sharp gradient in snowpack, but moving higher with each day.  Goes from zero snow cover to multiple feet pretty quickly.  Still over 5 feet in the Nosedive Glades and Rim Rock area.

18 hours ago, Hitman said:

was never able to post the pics, but here's the video montage of BC trip.

that's awesome, did you make this with iMovie? thanks for the shoutout of my daughter's dog....we just got back from Engelberg Switzerland where we had a late season dump of epic proportions. upper mountain classed for two days, while skiing/riding at mid elevation was basically blind at times between the snowfall, clouds and above treeline elevation. Last day was the payoff with unreal powder for late April. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Today showed the nastiness that is New England skiing in late April.  Afternoon temps were 32-38F from top to bottom with heavy mist/drizzle. 

The snowpack is so filthy in a lot of areas as an entire winter of debris is accumulating on the top of the snow as it melts down.  Glades here at 2,500ft (below the Fifth Avenue trail) were still skiable but below 2,300ft became too patchy so you have to exit. 

18033306_10102955167487530_3247523389974

Sharp gradient in snowpack, but moving higher with each day.  Goes from zero snow cover to multiple feet pretty quickly.  Still over 5 feet in the Nosedive Glades and Rim Rock area.

Without sun, late april snow cover is like a tree falling in the forest.