Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,508
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
    Joined
Skivt2

The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Damn Freak looks awesome, nothing better than spring skiing , google tans and cold ones on the picnic table.

Yeah man I know you get it, cold beer and skiing in hoodies with cobalt blue skis overhead...although it is a little early, I really love spring skiing days.  You're going to have an awesome vacation in March...no matter what the weather does, so much snow in the mountains that isn't going to melt with a mild week or two.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man I know you get it, cold beer and skiing in hoodies with cobalt blue skis overhead...although it is a little early, I really love spring skiing days.  You're going to have an awesome vacation in March...no matter what the weather does, so much snow in the mountains that isn't going to melt with a mild week or two.

 

I never worry, the beer is always cold, the pool hot,the skiing is secondary. Just a time to spend with friends of 40 plus years now. Only real downer year we had was in 99( I think) with 6 inches of rain falling in two days, oddly enough the rest of the week was stellar as 4 inches of snow fell on the backside. The amount of water pouring out of the Whites in Pinkham Notch was insane when we went for a ride during the rain out. Good times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This past weekend was huge in Vermont.  Absolutely huge.  We set our single day record since we put the RFID system in several seasons ago.  I heard it was similar across the state.  Very well known snowfall in NNE leading up to President's Weekend...plus great weather on Saturday and decent weather on Sunday all added up to 2-3 huge days of visitations.

Great to hear about the mountains doing well.  I heard that both Magic and Gunstock had to stop selling tickets times over the weekend to prevent overcrowding, so it seems like it's not just the major mountains.  It's also great that Magic has gotten their second lift running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Win addressing the Vail sale...

As you have undoubtedly heard, Vail has announced the purchase of the Stowe Mountain Ski operation, while leaving ownership of the Stowe Mountain Lodge, Stowe Mountain Club, Golf Club and real estate development assets with AIG. We have long anticipated that Vail would come East and considered Stowe one of the most likely targets.

We have long respected Stowe as a very well-capitalized and well-run resort, and we have admired the success of Vail under its recent ownership. Vail will clearly bring a number of changes to Stowe, not least of which is their EPIC pass. This pass has changed the landscape in the West and certainly will create some challenges, but also some opportunities, here in the East.

The fact that Vail chose Stowe as its first Eastern acquisition is a great testimony to the skiing and riding here in Northern Vermont, and recognizes that their terrain is commensurate with mountains like Vail and Park City out West. Whether Stowe or the Mad River Valley has better terrain depends on who you talk to - I know where my vote is cast. Personally, I like to think that our terrain is the Eastern equivalent of mountains like Alta, Jackson Hole, Aspen Highlands, Telluride and Squaw, where I have skied in recent years.

Thanks to your support these past fifteen years, I believe that we are extremely well-positioned for the future. Good competition is always welcomed, and Vail will bring that to Vermont. The one thing that they cannot bring to Stowe, however, is the special nature of the Mad River Valley - the nearly 4,000 acres of terrific skiing we have at Sugarbush, and the unique environment of our neighbor, Mad River Glen.

The three roads into the resort (German Flats Rd., Sugarbush Access Rd., and West Hill Rd.) make getting here on a holiday fairly easy. Our new parking lot at Lincoln Peak with shuttle service on weekends and holidays handles the crowds well. And our new Valley House lift has really improved the wait time out of the base area. (Of course, there are hardly ever long lines at Mount Ellen.) With our 16 lifts able to handle 21,000 people per hour and our nearly 4,000 acres of skiable terrain, people are moved all over the mountain when we are 100% open. If the EPIC pass brings more skiers and riders to Stowe, as it likely will, I think everyone will appreciate even more the environment we have here at Sugarbush.

Last week, I wrote to you regarding Gadd Brook Slopeside, and I believe that they, too, will become even more attractive as one compares their value and convenience to other areas. If you or someone you know is in the process of looking for a home at Sugarbush, please let us know. We have just furnished our model unit, and are offering Open Houses every day during Presidents' Week from 1:00 - 4:00 PM. We can also schedule a tour at your convenience by appointment. For more information, please contact the team at Sugarbush Resort Real Estate at 800-806-1070 or
[email protected], or stop by the office in The Farmhouse. Heidi and Kyle are available to answer any questions you might have about the new residences. You can also take a look at our Gadd Brook website for more information.

Finally, let me speak about our forecasted conditions. While this has been a year where the hornets have been spot-on, it is also the year of the roller coaster. After receiving over five feet of snow in February and unbelievably good conditions, Mother Nature is acting up again, and we are in for a few days of very warm temperatures and some rain showers. The snow will be nice and soft. We will likely lose some natural terrain, but our snowmaking trails have excellent depth and should hold up well. Winter looks to be returning Saturday night with some very firm skiing on Sunday, and we are likely to see some snow and then perhaps a lot more as we get into March. Going out on a limb, I am betting that we are still in for great spring skiing right through April, and we will continue to enjoy some terrific adventure and camaraderie here at Sugarbush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  That's pure panic right there from Win Smith.  I've never seen another competitor in the ski resort industry send out an email directly related to the happenings at another resort.

I don't think people understand the gravity of that email.  I would've sat and let it play out for a while.  He's spooked about losing seasons pass revenue would be my guess.  Then asks people to buy real estate.  

Theres a reason why you won't see Killington, Jay, Smuggs issue press releases because Stowe was purchased.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow.  That's pure panic right there from Win Smith.  I've never seen another competitor in the ski resort industry send out an email directly related to the happenings at another resort.

I don't think people understand the gravity of that email.  I would've sat and let it play out for a while.  He's spooked about losing seasons pass revenue would be my guess.  Then asks people to buy real estate.  

Theres a reason why you won't see Killington, Jay, Smuggs issue press releases because Stowe was purchased.  

 

I don't know the business end of it all too well nor the politics, but I wouldn't think Smuggs would be too threatened by this given the target demographic there compared to Stowe (as we discussed previously). I am confident Smuggs will be ok in the end with a loyal following. I am guessing Sugarbush is triggered by this because they do try to compete with Stowe in terms of demography. Either way as I have said I just hope all the boats will continue to float for the sake of the state economy and I know I am fortunate to be able to ski in the first place no matter what hill I'm on. I will still continue to go to Smuggs with the occasional splurge at Stowe and perhaps a night ski or two at Bolton. I was given a free ticket to Killington which I also have to use this year still (probably will do that in March).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Wow.  That's pure panic right there from Win Smith.  I've never seen another competitor in the ski resort industry send out an email directly related to the happenings at another resort.

I don't think people understand the gravity of that email.  I would've sat and let it play out for a while.  He's spooked about losing seasons pass revenue would be my guess.  Then asks people to buy real estate.  

Theres a reason why you won't see Killington, Jay, Smuggs issue press releases because Stowe was purchased.  

It was reasonable until the ask to buy real estate. Then it became lol to me.

Anyway.... people will ski where they ski... I can't imagine this creating a situation so dire that other resorts begin dropping like flys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a crazy week so far on the hill... conditions have unfortunately changed a lot. Best evah to spring.

Sunday was insane, we filled the lot and had to turn people away. ...I've never seen that before.

It's crazy how much snow we've lost this past week. Still a decent base and there's plenty to move around to fill in random spots, but I'm concerned for March. At some point there will be trail closures.

Berkshire east has really done a great job with mountain biking, and i have no doubt that they'll want to get the snow off the hill asap so they can change over to non-winter ops. While they've spent tons upgrading their snowmaking capabilities recently (and it definitely shows in the product on the slopes), I'm certain that they have become even more proactive in not wanting to spend a fortune making snow that outlasts the crowds.

Let's see what the place looks like by Sunday afternoon....

Btw, I haven't seen anybody up lately. I usually meet up with guys from here at least once a season.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It was reasonable until the ask to buy real estate. Then it became lol to me.

Anyway.... people will ski where they ski... I can't imagine this creating a situation so dire that other resorts begin dropping like flys 

I've never heard of another ski resort commenting like that regarding the business of another area.  At first it read like a Vail press release, haha.   

I'd wait at least until the sale is final (there's an agreement to purchase right now but lots of stuff still needs to be cleared) and then maybe once pass prices are listed before going crazy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I've never heard of another ski resort commenting like that regarding the business of another area.  At first it read like a Vail press release, haha.   

I'd wait at least until the sale is final (there's an agreement to purchase right now but lots of stuff still needs to be cleared) and then maybe once pass prices are listed before going crazy.  

Yeah, I think he's panicking over his season pass holders, the 'Sugarbush" "Mad River Valley" premium won't look very enticing if Stowe offers something right up the road for almost 1/2 the price. He sounds like a car salesman extoling the attribute of one brand/model over the other. Their big coin word this past year has been camaraderie lol....one big happy family, all resorts benefit. It sounds a little like he was changing his tune there a bit re: Stowe. #camaraderie #competition . He even gives s light dig to the traffic issues on the access road to Stowe versus Sugarbush #reaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Yeah, I think he's panicking over his season pass holders, the 'Sugarbush" "Mad River Valley" premium won't look very enticing if Stowe offers something right up the road for almost 1/2 the price. He sounds like a car salesman extoling the attribute of one brand/model over the other. Their big coin word this past year has been camaraderie lol....one big happy family, all resorts benefit. It sounds a little like he was changing his tune there a bit re: Stowe. #camaraderie #competition . He even gives s light dig to the traffic issues on the access road to Stowe versus Sugarbush #reaching.

I don't think the consumer in general, especially in a setting like this, appreciates this type of response. It's basically a nicely worded dig at Stowe during the entire article. Comes off as pretty sour grapes.

 

Generally, you are walking a thin line when you're argument becomes kind of petty like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring skiing at Smuggs is a blast today but it will take a beating this weekend. You can wear a t shirt on the Madonna summit.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I never worry, the beer is always cold, the pool hot,the skiing is secondary. Just a time to spend with friends of 40 plus years now. Only real downer year we had was in 99( I think) with 6 inches of rain falling in two days, oddly enough the rest of the week was stellar as 4 inches of snow fell on the backside. The amount of water pouring out of the Whites in Pinkham Notch was insane when we went for a ride during the rain out. Good times

1999 sounds right.  We had warm rains on March 1 and 4, totaling about 3.5", then the 6-7 weekend brought 14.5" with temps in the teens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

65F according to thermometer at the base of Smuggs. Water is running down the middle of some trails.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Yeah, I think he's panicking over his season pass holders, the 'Sugarbush" "Mad River Valley" premium won't look very enticing if Stowe offers something right up the road for almost 1/2 the price. He sounds like a car salesman extoling the attribute of one brand/model over the other. Their big coin word this past year has been camaraderie lol....one big happy family, all resorts benefit. It sounds a little like he was changing his tune there a bit re: Stowe. #camaraderie #competition . He even gives s light dig to the traffic issues on the access road to Stowe versus Sugarbush #reaching.

Well it's a marketing switch that doesn't usually work well once your marketing turns to pointing out your competitor's weakness instead of staying on your brand message.  But it may become more cut-throat.  It's 

Thats why you know he's worried because it's a deviation from their normal marketing routine.  I mean maybe he could've mentioned it in passing in the weekly "Wins Word" but to send out a special email to everyone on their mailing list notifying them that Vail bought Stowe is pretty crazy.  Again, you won't see this from any other ski resort and it's not because they aren't worried, it's because it's not a good idea marketing wise.  Like this would be a great sales and marketing college class discussion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, eyewall said:

65F according to thermometer at the base of Smuggs. Water is running down the middle of some trails.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
 

It's so nice outside.  Been chilling on the slopes all day.  What a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Killington was in classic late March form.  Sun and big bumps... short sleeves, water bottles, and tanning lotion.  Laps and laps on OL.

Pretty good time, usually is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, radarman said:

Killington was in classic late March form.  Sun and big bumps... short sleeves, water bottles, and tanning lotion.  Laps and laps on OL.

Pretty good time, usually is.

Yeah its hard to be down on it when its so much fun.  Take it one day at a time and its a heck of a lot of fun skiing in this weather with a deep base.

Some people get so pre-occupied with worrying about the future that its hard for them to enjoy the fact that the snow is deep, its sunny, and mild.  Beach day on skis to me never get old.  Especially after a 3-week powder orgy haha...its a nice change of pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Well it's a marketing switch that doesn't usually work well once your marketing turns to pointing out your competitor's weakness instead of staying on your brand message.  But it may become more cut-throat.  It's 

Thats why you know he's worried because it's a deviation from their normal marketing routine.  I mean maybe he could've mentioned it in passing in the weekly "Wins Word" but to send out a special email to everyone on their mailing list notifying them that Vail bought Stowe is pretty crazy.  Again, you won't see this from any other ski resort and it's not because they aren't worried, it's because it's not a good idea marketing wise.  Like this would be a great sales and marketing college class discussion.

 

Agreed.  But he does that regularly with issues effecting the resort or valley.  I think, don't know this, that they have a big exposure from Burlington area residents who buy season tickets currently at sugarbush because it's somewhat cheaper than Stowe. I've met many on the lifts over the years. That epic pass could swing many of them to Stowe.  The weekend warrior crew won't switch because of a $200 difference in pass price.  You also have to understand that sugarbush is a much smaller operation than Stowe is in terms of revenue.  They may be comparable in terms of skiing terrain but that's another matter.

fwiw- can't upload photos from my ipad for some reason, but it is great out here in the kooteneys.  Deep dry powder.  Rain in town while snow at base elevation which is about 5k.  Staying at hotel in downtown Nelson filled with skiers from all over the world.  

IMG_2488.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah its hard to be down on it when its so much fun.  Take it one day at a time and its a heck of a lot of fun skiing in this weather with a deep base.

Some people get so pre-occupied with worrying about the future that its hard for them to enjoy the fact that the snow is deep, its sunny, and mild.  Beach day on skis to me never get old.  Especially after a 3-week powder orgy haha...its a nice change of pace.

Was chatting with a British couple who were staying at Stowe this week and wanted to try one other mountain... poor girl had brand new apparel fit for Antarctica and she was gonna wear it, damn the heatstroke.   Hopefully her chap understood that I had only the best intentions when I was encouraging her to strip.  It gets hot out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowbasin has some great terrain...a little lower in elevation so snow isn't as good (relatively) as Alta/Snowbird but definitely need to go just to experience the amenities. The Sinclair Oil family developed the place and it's like a private ski club. Never been to Nelson but speaking to locals last year at KH, Revelstoke and Fernie they all raved about the area - the climate is amazing with temperate valley temps and tons of snow at higher elevations. Back here, it is simply amazing to transition in 7-8 days from deep powder skiing to spring conditions.

Speaking of Win's letter, when I received I didn't read that deep into his message. I took it as a acknowledgement that the acquisition was going to create some competitive pressures...which I think is going to help the consumer btw, he threw out the Fear card (as in FUD)...traffic, and then, and I stopped reading at that point, tried to hock some real estate which all his messages seem to end with...blah, blah, blah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hitman said:

Agreed.  But he does that regularly with issues effecting the resort or valley.  I think, don't know this, that they have a big exposure from Burlington area residents who buy season tickets currently at sugarbush because it's somewhat cheaper than Stowe. I've met many on the lifts over the years. That epic pass could swing many of them to Stowe.  The weekend warrior crew won't switch because of a $200 difference in pass price.  You also have to understand that sugarbush is a much smaller operation than Stowe is in terms of revenue.  They may be comparable in terms of skiing terrain but that's another matter.

fwiw- can't upload photos from my ipad for some reason, but it is great out here in the kooteneys.  Deep dry powder.  Rain in town while snow at base elevation which is about 5k.  Staying at hotel in downtown Nelson filled with skiers from all over the world.  

IMG_2488.JPG

Damn that's beautiful dude.

Lets see some shots from the hill!  I've always wanted to go there.  Interior BC is on my list top with Japan.

I've done Whistler but want to try the interior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Few from Ragged today.  Groomed runs have lots of snow, but some thin spots showing.  Woods are not going to have much left by the time things turn around.  Patchy thick fog on the roads, temps all over the place, saw 42-64 between Ragged and Bow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×