Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I heard it was official and to be announced publicly shortly.

Yeah lots of rumors out there.  That one has been going around for a couple weeks now that it was official and about to be announced soon.  Most of these are coming from a Stowe Reporter news article that is essentially filled with conjecture that came out on Thursday...and that's really when it hit the internet.

I'm not going to really discuss it except that nothing is official.  Maybe something is reached soon and then its announced.  The announcement will come almost immediately after any deal, IMO.  Not like weeks of "its official" but just waiting to announce it. 

3 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Would almost certainly drop season's pass prices by 1/2 or more.

Now if this is true I'd hope for them to pickup a NH resort too, would love a multi-mtn pass with Stowe included.

This is a scary proposition though... I think the demand is too high to do that.

Take today for example...we ran out of parking (as did Jay Peak and other areas in VT judging by their FB posts).

They were parked even in every pull-off along RT 108 leading to the resort (also look at those snowbanks, no shortage of snow up here haha):

I've never seen this.

unnamed.jpg

I don't think Stowe can handle the volume of a  much cheaper seasons pass...would also likely lower pass prices at other ski resorts though if Stowe dropped the pass price. 

day passes are jacked up so visitors are inclined to buy a pass rather than multiday tix... and then they are compelled to come back.

I always wondered what aspect was most profitable. Is it actually food, drink
,hotel? Or is lift tickets/passes?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

IMG_0606.thumb.JPG.83952ff65e047bf6d0b3c
Skied at Royal Mtn in Caroga Lake in the southern Adirondacks. What a blast. A steep 550' vertical gem with 100% snowmaking and tree skiing everywhere. People were skiing all over the woods. Nice solid 2' in woods with 6" powder on top. Sweet day. The place is like one big glade. Some nice narrow bump runs. $40 lift ticket. Got 20 runs in. Best day skiing of the year for me and the Chili was to die for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

IMG_0606.JPG
Skied at Royal Mtn in Caroga Lake in the southern Adirondacks. What a blast. A steep 550' vertical gem with 100% snowmaking and tree skiing everywhere. People were skiing all over the woods. Nice solid 2' in woods with 6" powder on top. Sweet day. The place is like one big glade. Some nice narrow bump runs. $40 lift ticket. Got 20 runs in. Best day skiing of the year for me and the Chili was to die for!

Is it all a heard of it beforedvanced terrain? 

10 hours ago, j24vt said:

I don't see why they would drop Stowe's pass rate.  Probably go the Whistler route and give people 5 days at Stowe as part of the Epic pass and add the others to the Stowe pass

Yeah I agree.  I think they'd look at business levels and decide this isn't the place to try the volume model of sales.

9 hours ago, snowgeek said:

IMG_0606.JPG

Sick.  Love this stuff.

Reminds me of Plattekill a bit in your description.

We ski both Platty and Royal.

Our kids are 7 and 9.  You can't beat Royal for teaching them to ski and board.  Nice slow double chair in a dedicated beginners area.  Good instructors and the whole thing is very reasonably priced.

Platty is great too.  More vertical than Royal.  But they can't buy a snowstorm over the last few years and I think it has really hurt them.  We are between the two areas and every time we have had a choice the last few years it's been Royal because they have the snow and Platty doesn't.

48 minutes ago, cny rider said:

We ski both Platty and Royal.

Our kids are 7 and 9.  You can't beat Royal for teaching them to ski and board.  Nice slow double chair in a dedicated beginners area.  Good instructors and the whole thing is very reasonably priced.

Platty is great too.  More vertical than Royal.  But they can't buy a snowstorm over the last few years and I think it has really hurt them.  We are between the two areas and every time we have had a choice the last few years it's been Royal because they have the snow and Platty doesn't.

Remember when the Catskills used to get HUGE storms.  The 7 footer in 2010 was awesome!  I am amazed every time I drive to Royal / Caroga Lake / Speculator area how the snow depth increases so much just before you get to Royal.  Elevation and Lake Effect FTW.

7 hours ago, mike245 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions between Killington, Okemo, or Stratton for tommorow? I know Killington got the most over the   weekend but I'm having trouble figuring out which could get the most today into tonight. 

Stratton was great this weekend. They don't upsloap as well as areas further north but it basically snowed all weekend. They have a very solid base right now too. In my opinion it's the best southern mountian. Took that a couple hours ago. 

IMG_0323.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Dan76 said:

I remember when it was like $30 (Im old)    http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MTN?ltr=1

Even older - I learned parallel during a Mon-Fri ski week at the former Glen Ellen (now Sugarbush North) in January of 1971.  Their week included 5 lessons and one après-ski spiced wine party for $45, only they cut that in half during all of January.  By staying at a $3/night BYO sleeping bag place in Waitsfield and eating on the cheap, the whole week came in at well under $100 (I think 50-60, but long ago), including round trip gas from NNJ.

Archived