• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Skied Okemo for the first time in about 15 years yesterday.  They had 6-8 inches of fresh, dense snow.  Surface conditions were very good.

The mountain has a reputation for relentless grooming, and there was plenty of that, but they also left a variety of trials ungroomed.  The bumps on Sel's Choice were in great shape.  I wanted to try the tree runs on Jackson Gore, but they were closed.

Okemo will never win any awards for challenging terrain, but it was a fun day with the family with very good snow, and the relatively gentle trails gave my younger ones confidence to play in the ungroomed snow without automatically switching into survival mode.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By yesterday morning, Squaw Valley had broken their all time snowiest month record by 10" (212").  Since then 19" more fell.  And oh yeah, after a lull today, a winter storm warning for tomorrow into Monday:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
456 AM PST SAT JAN 21 2017

CAZ072-NVZ002-220100-
/O.CON.KREV.WS.W.0005.000000T0000Z-170123T1200Z/
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, TRUCKEE, STATELINE,
AND INCLINE VILLAGE

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST MONDAY...

* TIMING: LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TODAY.
  HEAVY SNOW WILL RETURN TONIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO EARLY MONDAY
  MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH MONDAY MORNING: 3 TO 6 FEET ABOVE
  7000 FEET WITH 2 TO 4 FEET AT LAKE LEVEL. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS
  ALONG THE SIERRA CREST.

* WINDS: SIERRA RIDGE WINDS INCREASING FROM 70 MPH TO OVER 100 MPH
  ON SUNDAY. GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS. WINDS MAY
  DAMAGE TREES AND POWER LINES.

And this is your forecast

TODAY

Snow showers, mainly before 10am, then a chance of snow after 4pm. High near 20. Breezy, with a west wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible. 

19°

TONIGHT

Snow, mainly after 10pm. Low around 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 30 mph increasing to 30 to 35 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible. 

24°

SUNDAY

Snow. High near 24. Very windy, with a southwest wind around 55 mph, with gusts as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible. 

14°

SUNDAY NIGHT

Snow. Low around 14. Very windy, with a southwest wind 45 to 50 mph decreasing to 40 to 45 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible. 

15°

MONDAY

Snow showers. High near 15. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible. 

MONDAY NIGHT

231" at alpine meadows this month. Closing in on the monthly record. I'll have to look up the exact number but I think it's around 250". Either way, record or no record, it's been a pretty special stretch out there. 

Even the powder hounds would be loving this stretch with the much colder storms...this ain't Sierra cement this week and into Monday. 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Total meltdown at Stratton right now. Full on spring conditions

It's spring snow here now too.  Inverted so the snow has melted off the trees at the summit but the hardwoods are still caked on the lower mountain.  Odd experience as it looks to get snowier as you go down haha.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

231" at alpine meadows this month. Closing in on the monthly record. I'll have to look up the exact number but I think it's around 250". Either way, record or no record, it's been a pretty special stretch out there. 

Even the powder hounds would be loving this stretch with the much colder storms...this ain't Sierra cement this week and into Monday. 

Squaw had a blog post that said 202" was the record, but checking their own reported snow totals on the website it has March of '11 showing 241".  It should shatter that by Tuesday morning.

28 minutes ago, radarman said:

By yesterday morning, Squaw Valley had broken their all time snowiest month record by 10" (212").  Since then 19" more fell.  And oh yeah, after a lull today, a winter storm warning for tomorrow into Monday:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV

CAZ072-NVZ002-220100-
/O.CON.KREV.WS.W.0005.000000T0000Z-170123T1200Z/
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, TRUCKEE, STATELINE,
AND INCLINE VILLAGE

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST MONDAY...

* TIMING: LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TODAY.
  HEAVY SNOW WILL RETURN TONIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO EARLY MONDAY
  MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH MONDAY MORNING: 3 TO 6 FEET ABOVE
  7000 FEET WITH 2 TO 4 FEET AT LAKE LEVEL. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS
  ALONG THE SIERRA CREST.

* WINDS: SIERRA RIDGE WINDS INCREASING FROM 70 MPH TO OVER 100 MPH
  ON SUNDAY. GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS. WINDS MAY
  DAMAGE TREES AND POWER LINES.

* For communities in the higher terrain: Tahoe Basin, Mono County
  (looking at you Mammoth), and Virginia City. While there is
  potential for some unanticipated impacts, such as deck, roof, or
  carport collapses, local officials are extremely concerned about
  more downed trees across powerlines, roadways, and into homes. Dig
  out and clear as much snow as possible before the next storm moves
  into the area. Snow removal will become extremely difficult as
  feet of snow piles up. Prepare for extended periods of power
  outages, more downed trees, as well as being stuck in your
  residence. Local authorities are recommending enough non-
  perishable food for up to a week. Listen closely to local law
  enforcement and fire officials for recommendations.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It's spring snow here now too.  Inverted so the snow has melted off the trees at the summit but the hardwoods are still caked on the lower mountain.  Odd experience as it looks to get snowier as you go down haha.

Sunny and warm at the base. Wind blown clouds at the summit.  No snow/Rime On any trees. Packed out so the mountains doing well. Hoping this comming storm gives us a little taste of out west. Stratton has the elevation with lots of terrain above 3k. 

went up to the Kearsarge area this morning, hiked the backside of Ragged. There was probably 8" of natural.  XC skied at Procter Academy in the PM. First time there, pretty sweet setup for the students and community. FIS certified nordic course with snow making and nice small downhill area with great snow making as well as ski jumping. fun day.

Skied Butternut today in the Berkshires.  Soft hero snow.  No snow in woods.  Brown spots starting to show up.  Not enough base for them to let bumps grow = boring.  All trails open, but they need snow.  No lines.  Got 12 runs in by 11:00 and was home by 12:15.  At least I'm getting my ski legs.  

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Alpine Meadows with another 24" overnight....269" on the month now (probably over 270 now though as it is still snowing heavily there). That should be a new monthly record.

Going to get real cold in those elevated valleys, too. Below zero type stuff.

I wonder what the national record for most snow in a month is--I'm guessing somewhere around 500" at one of the big mountains in Washington?

This one site I came across says the monthly all-time record is 390" at Tamarack, CA in 1911. I guess that could be right, but those old records are always a little suspect.

15 hours ago, masomenos said:

Simply ****ing absurd what's been going on out west.

A good friend of mine lives in Mammoth.  Her social media feeds are awe inspiring, terrifying, and fill me with regret that I booked my trip to JH this years and not Mammoth (I leave in 2 days, not complaining!!)  Not only absurd, but downright dangerous.  They had to close the front entrance to the only grocery store in town (see photo of cornice below) People are literally stranded in their homes because there is no place left to go with the snow, cars are buried and the plows can't keep up.  At this point, it's nuisance snow.  

16143865_1196935197022855_2543470642956700676_o.jpg

Archived