Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice but hey did you see this link in the story.  This is the kind of stuff  I get into

http://media-mammothresorts-com.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/mmsa/patrol/pages/StormSummary/16-17StormSummary.htm

http://patrol.mammothmountain.com

19 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes!  I saw that and spent quite a while last night there.  Awesome stuff there.

Crazy to see that thing dropping like 0.29" liquid in 1 hour at 19F...just awesome amounts of QPF lol.

29 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I saw that setup on a lift at Alta, and wondered if they actually adjust it for the snowpack.

Yes quite a few spots out west have that addition to their chairlifts.  There's no way you'd be able to have a fixed height lift with some of the snowfall these places get.  The base terminals actually rise with the snowpack and they just adjust the haul rope tension with the counterweight.  Its usually only the base terminals that have that ability and I don't think its available for detachable lifts...only fixed grip.

5 hours ago, eyewall said:

Mad River Glen has decided to close indefinitely until they get enough snow (originally they were going to try and be open this weekend). In other words they lost MLK weekend and much of the rest of this month. 

It's what they've been doing for decades. 

It's a co-op...with next to no snowmaking and grooming.  It's not uncommon for them to have issues staying open from time to time.  

They probably miss a couple Christmas weeks every decade (three times in the last 10 years they've been closed for Christmas)...they'll be fine and continue to operate like they have for the last so many decades. 

I do feel like the media likes to jump on MRG as a "oh my god its a disaster out there for ski areas" when they close...like they are not going to open next year if they can't operate continuously from mid-Nov to mid-April.  There's been a lot of ratters over the years and poor periods during a season but they always bounce back and will continue to do so.

Conditions were overall pretty rugged.  Groomers were nice in the morning but skied off by midday with the holiday weekend crowds.  Ungroomed terrain is pretty much pavement in strength.

Thankfully there is snowmaking.  Really was a game changer on a couple top to bottom routes today. 

Glad we aren't closed.

15937165_10154085540247382_5075446772608

16112638_10154085540307382_3329884067409

16107244_10154085540357382_5574435944944

15975149_10154085540422382_3732838311797

15972342_10154085540467382_4267177281091

15936997_10154085541022382_2246542314786

LOL at the Jay Peak snow report: 2-3" of snow (hmm... maybe in a drift? I see a dusting at the base and maybe an inch up top), and "Grooming teams are reporting great conditions on trail this morning."

Conditions are just as bad as yesterday, and there are "advanced only skiers" signs all over the mountain. I understand marketing but that's just flat out lying! At least when we left home Bretton Woods was making snow on about 1/2 of the trails. Jay Peak - 1 trail! It could really use a good resurface. 

Great mountain though a bit smaller than I expected and I definitely want to come back when the conditions are better... but wow, whoever does their snow report should be fired.

57 minutes ago, alex said:

LOL at the Jay Peak snow report: 2-3" of snow (hmm... maybe in a drift? I see a dusting at the base and maybe an inch up top), and "Grooming teams are reporting great conditions on trail this morning."

Conditions are just as bad as yesterday, and there are "advanced only skiers" signs all over the mountain. I understand marketing but that's just flat out lying! At least when we left home Bretton Woods was making snow on about 1/2 of the trails. Jay Peak - 1 trail! It could really use a good resurface. 

Great mountain though a bit smaller than I expected and I definitely want to come back when the conditions are better... but wow, whoever does their snow report should be fired.

This has been discussed numerous times here over the last couple years. Seems that certain resorts stretch the truth with regards to conditions and snowfall amounts. 

If you tack an inch on here and inch on there.... by the end of the year you've given yourself an extra 2 feet of snow.. which makes everything look much more favorable.

And the age old conditions look great analysis. I guess if you like crusty man made snow it's great.

Archived