• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Skied Gore today.  Had a free ticket from the Warren Miller movie that expired on Friday, 12/16.  Got 11,000 vertical in.  Conditions were pretty sweet.  Glad to be in the gondola with the windchill.  Views of ADK high peaks was sweet.  Skiing was very good...not great...but very nice.  Some gorgeous packed powder and some crusty lumpy junk in places.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

They are the first in New England reporting over 100" on the season so far.  But it sounds like for whatever reason that mountain has some insane elevational snowfall gradients.

And as I say that Mansfield just got 0.75" of dust at 1,500ft but 3" of feathers at 3,000ft+. 

A couple of quick comments, first day at WaWa yesterday. 930-1230ish session with approx 20 laps up and down conifer...only route open from summit so sporadic congestion issues but quality of snow was good. I've never been there early season but with the new pump station they were making impressive amounts of snow all day. they will have a lot more terrain open soon - if not today. Regarding Sugarbush, they are known for their willingness to open terrain with next to no base. I've had more than once been going down a trail only to discover I was skiing on 2" of snow over rocky ledge.

15 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Yeah, that's what they're called lol!  What's funny is they were on a trail that they opened for the first time and I was like the 5th person down the trail.  They made yucky snow!

Hah, a newly opened snowmaking trail with only 1 groom on it is usually pretty rugged.  When pushing out snowmaking piles (especially if they haven't had a few days to sit and drain water from the piles), your bound to get death cookies and it's usually a fairly rough groom (i.e. wet man made snow getting stuck in the cat tracks for example).  It gets straightened out pretty fast after a couple nights of grooming and tilling.

I'm thinking of skiing at Mount Snow on Tuesday. They have 9" of new snow, but I am not sure if it ended as rain.

No rain. With it being $12 founders day today, there was plenty of traffic on the hill. The new snow, while all snow, was very dense. It might glacier up as the sun sets tonight. ...but, groomers should be fantastic tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Over 4 feet of snowfall so far in December...having more fun than I've had in a few seasons.  Such good vibes in the hills.

This photo is from 2,500ft...18" natural depth at 1,500ft and it just gets higher as you go up.  Amazing top-to-bottom natural snow pack so early in the season.

15418426_10102773971361020_6090067909126

And then this is 500ft lower at around 2,000ft.

2L8A9739_edited-2.jpg

55 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Dumb question, but how do we upload pics from phones and stuff now?

In the reply box there is a paperclip that says "Click to choose files"  Click that and then choose the pic you want to insert. It can't be too big though.  I've had to shrink a few before they would upload. 

IMG_0023.JPG

54 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah...I need to figure out how to shrink them to under 1.95mb

If you're using an iPhone, open the photo to edit and then crop it. Don't ask me how you figure out how much to crop to reduce the size enough, that's the extent of my technical knowledge lol. 

27 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Both likely heart attacks it appears

Happens every year at every area...you do more than a quarter million visits a winter the odds are a couple will have cardiac issues.  Especially an aging ski population and many who may not be in the best physical shape then go and exert themselves very heavily one day on the mountain and problems crop up.  

A couple winters ago our Patrol had two saves...both brought back with defibrillators but quick thinking by on hill guests to start CPR immediately made it possible.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Happens every year at every area...you do more than a quarter million visits a winter the odds are a couple will have cardiac issues.

A couple winters ago our Patrol had two saves...both brought back with defibrillators but quick thinking by on hill guests to start CPR immediately made it possible.

Yup...similar to folks who die at places like Disney.  Deaths like these are not preventable or the fault of the resort.

When someone skis into a tree or falls off a lift, that always makes me pause...

Girlfriend is set on trying king pine. She had a bad experience her first time skiing and it's been over four years since we've been. 

She wants to give it another go. King pine looks like a nice beginner mountain. I'm letting her choose because I want her to like it, so hopefully the conditions are good.

i know it's a tiny mountain, but has anyone here been?

im going to hold off on purchasing lift tickets until late Sunday in case the snow conditions take a big hit over the weekend 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yup...similar to folks who die at places like Disney.  Deaths like these are not preventable or the fault of the resort.

When someone skis into a tree or falls off a lift, that always makes me pause...

Everyone should know their limitations. Accidents are never completely preventable... but if you smash into a tree going 60mph, you were probably in way over your head as it pertains to skill level.

Still not sure how people fall off lifts to be honest.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Girlfriend is set on trying king pine. She had a bad experience her first time skiing and it's been over four years since we've been. 

She wants to give it another go. King pine looks like a nice beginner mountain. I'm letting her choose because I want her to like it, so hopefully the conditions are good.

i know it's a tiny mountain, but has anyone here been?

im going to hold off on purchasing lift tickets until late Sunday in case the snow conditions take a big hit over the weekend 

There's actually a couple steeper trails on the mountain...I've never skied it but I have driven past it multiple times on the way to Conway and the steep trails are right at the front under the lift on the far right. They won't lose much snow up there, but it could get a bit icy after this weekend...but if you aren't going until several days later, then hopefully it would be groomed out by then.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's actually a couple steeper trails on the mountain...I've never skied it but I have driven past it multiple times on the way to Conway and the steep trails are right at the front under the lift on the far right. They won't lose much snow up there, but it could get a bit icy after this weekend...but if you aren't going until several days later, then hopefully it would be groomed out by then.

I'll have to try those on my own if she needs a break or something. Lift tickets are only 26 bucks if bought online so it's a pretty good deal.

Were heading up Monday to Wednesday and plan on skiing Tuesday (of next week)

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Everyone should know their limitations. Accidents are never completely preventable... but if you smash into a tree going 60mph, you were probably in way over your head as it pertains to skill level.

Still not sure how people fall off lifts to be honest.

True...accidents are by nature preventable.  I have seen idiots jump off lifts...fortunately no damage...but they do.  People who fall off tend to be younger (teens mostly) who think they are safe and are screwing around.   

Running into trees and such can happen if you catch an edge or something.  I tend to be rather slow and pick my times and places to go a bit faster. I want to see my kids grow up 

Archived