Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Storm early next week is actually shaping up to be quite a doozy for northern Rockies. That's pretty damned cold for June. It trended south today on guidance too entering the west coast...that would give a late season round to the Tahoe resorts. Probably only a few inches, but hey, a refresher? Lol.

Interesting letter from the owner of Camp of Champions at Whistler-Blackcomb...that's been the largest summer snowboard/ski camp in North America in my lifetime.

They are closing after almost 30 years due to receding glacier and snow depths in the past few seasons.  I've read quite a bit about the decreasing Blackcomb glacier, which has seen very high reductions in depth in the past 5 years or so.  They used to be a summer skiing mecca but sounds like its becoming harder and harder to operate the lift in the summer with the receding glacier.

https://snowboardmag.com/stories/after-28-years-of-snowboarding-camp-of-champions-has-closed

Last patch of snow (from the jumps) melted overnight at WV. That's pretty late for them. I bet there's still a couple patches on the Superstar trail at Killington. I was thinking of doing Tuckerman July 1st. Not too often can you ski Tuck's in July, but I think this year it will be possible, albeit maybe only a dozen turns.

Last snow WV.jpg

2 hours ago, MarkO said:

Last patch of snow (from the jumps) melted overnight at WV. That's pretty late for them. I bet there's still a couple patches on the Superstar trail at Killington. I was thinking of doing Tuckerman July 1st. Not too often can you ski Tuck's in July, but I think this year it will be possible, albeit maybe only a dozen turns.

Last snow WV.jpg

Super star came still has snow patches 

10 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Maybe there is still some snow somewhere at killington too. I was going by what you can see on the cams. 

Did they build a super-pipe this season?  Half-pipe walls are often some of the last things to go...or a north facing terrain park with massive hits.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Did they build a super-pipe this season?  Half-pipe walls are often some of the last things to go...or a north facing terrain park with massive hits.

Not sure I didn't ride at killington this winter. But it makes sense that a pipe made of compressed snow would last forever. It's basically a mini glacier 

Your post got me wondering and I just took a look at the webcam, in the fading light there looks to be a good amount of snow still in the bowl (relatively). Latest I've skied there is late June. The funniest thing is when you're coming down with your skis on your back, families are coming up the tuckerman's trail, stopping and staring in amazement and asking "is there still snow up there?"

I was hiking down the tuckerman ravine trail about 20 years ago on August 1st, and there was still a patch of snow may be 75-100 feet long tucked up in one place.  Saw at least three hikers coming up with skis strapped to their packs, so August skiing has happened, even if only 2 or 3 turns. 

11 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

I was hiking down the tuckerman ravine trail about 20 years ago on August 1st, and there was still a patch of snow may be 75-100 feet long tucked up in one place.  Saw at least three hikers coming up with skis strapped to their packs, so August skiing has happened, even if only 2 or 3 turns. 

I wonder if there was a mini glacier there during the little ice age. There must have been at least multi year snow

2 hours ago, Brewbeer said:

Makes me wonder how long the snow remained in 1969, when depth at Pinkham topped out at 164" after the 77" dump in late Feb.  Folks there were joking about the Mt. Washington glacier.

Tuckerman's glacier survived the entire ablation season in 1926...I'm not sure if it has managed to do so since then. The paper this was published in only ran through data up to 1958 (paper was published in 1960).

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-glaciology/article/an-historical-survey-of-the-lateseason-snowbed-in-tuckerman-ravine-mount-washington-usa/9A5964D0AA6C9D6E9D5A2C55493F4F1C/core-reader

TuckermansSnow.png

Cool stuff guys on the Tuckerman "glacier"....I know a few folks who have skied it in August and I have no data to back this up but I would think its at least a once a decade occurrence that there's enough snow to ski in early August.

Here's the Stowe glacier today...one of two patches of snow that remain on the mountain that I know of, ha.

19453062_10103048699259110_8665456827754

Archived