Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

15 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

One thing I like to do is look for mountains that could have epic ski runs. Another good one is Mt Greylock the highest point in mass and the southern greens highest peak.

People recognized that potential on Mount Greylock, so it’s already got an epic ski run with a vertical drop over 2,000’.  It’s called the Thunderbolt Trail and it’s been there since the 1930s:

http://www.thunderboltskirun.com/trail.html

There’s also a big race held on it every year:

https://thunderboltskirunners.org/

I’ve hiked it in the off season, but skiing is clearly its main purpose because it’s maintained as a ski trail, not a hiking trail.  In line with its epic nature, it’s probably the most famous ski run in the state – as someone from outside Massachusetts, it’s the only run I could actually name.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

People recognized that potential on Mount Greylock, so it’s already got an epic ski run with a vertical drop over 2,000’.  It’s called the Thunderbolt Trail and it’s been there since the 1930s:

http://www.thunderboltskirun.com/trail.html

There’s also a big race held on it every year:

https://thunderboltskirunners.org/

I’ve hiked it in the off season, but skiing is clearly its main purpose because it’s maintained as a ski trail, not a hiking trail.  In line with its epic nature, it’s probably the most famous ski run in the state – as someone from outside Massachusetts, it’s the only run I could actually name.

I'm guessing the Thunderbolt Trail was built by the CCC, as were many other ski trails in New England.  It's interesting that it's still raced, as it dates back to the era of wooden skis with beartrap bindings that released at the knee.  Reminds me of the MWN Inferno race from that same era, summit to Pinkham Notch via Tuckerman's, but it only ran for a relatively short time.

20 hours ago, bobbutts said:

Yeah, give me Kearsarge so I can have a 2k' vert 30 mins away. 

When I was a kid...back in the 70's - my family skied at King Pine, the upside down ski area, which looked across at Kearsarge, always thought it would make the perfect ski mountain. Years later, I was stunned when I discovered the summit wasn't even 3,000'.

19 hours ago, Brewbeer said:

There are some good Youtube videos of people skiing down the Thunderbolt trail. 

The Meathead Films guys (now the Ski The East brand) had some good footage years ago from powder on the Thunderbolt.

Thats one trail I've always wanted to ski.  It's physical characteristics at over 2,000ft vert is impressive and I love those old CCC trails.  We've got a few on Mansfield though really only the Bruce Trail is in its original state.  

I truly believe there's a big difference in terrain once you cross that 2,000 consistent vertical barrier...it moves it into western status.  

On 5/11/2017 at 7:30 PM, Angus said:

When I was a kid...back in the 70's - my family skied at King Pine, the upside down ski area, which looked across at Kearsarge, always thought it would make the perfect ski mountain. Years later, I was stunned when I discovered the summit wasn't even 3,000'.

I remember convincing my family to stop at King Pine so I could check it out once while it was still operating back in the 80's.  Never skied there but passed it countless times heading from BOS to VT ski areas.  Still can see the remnants of the trails pretty well heading north on 89.

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The Meathead Films guys (now the Ski The East brand) had some good footage years ago from powder on the Thunderbolt.

Thats one trail I've always wanted to ski.  It's physical characteristics at over 2,000ft vert is impressive and I love those old CCC trails.  We've got a few on Mansfield though really only the Bruce Trail is in its original state.  

I truly believe there's a big difference in terrain once you cross that 2,000 consistent vertical barrier...it moves it into western status.  

White face really is the king though with 3,166" lift serverd. That's just nuts by east coast standerds. And of course more is  viable if you hike the chutes. If it wasn't a stand alone peak and instead part of the greens ridge line it would be by far the gold standard for the east coast. Just a real bad location 

On 5/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

One thing I like to do is look for mountains that could have epic ski runs. Mt. Equinox near Manchester VT is by far my favorite. That thing goes from 3800 to below 1000. Another good one is Mt Greylock the highest point in mass and the southern greens highest peak. (Extreme southern, it's close to the Berkshires but it's definitely a green) the eastern side has a nice gradual drop.  Can you imagine it's the 50s and you could set up a resort where you wanted given enough money? Anyone else ever think about this? 

Before Sugarloaf was established they wanted to develop the Bigelow Range, just across the Carrabassett Valley and call it the Aspen of the East.   Would it have been epic?   Absolutely.   Many,  including myself, are certainly glad it didn't happen  because that is one of the nicest hiking ranges in the NE. 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

King Pine isn't upside down and can't be seen from 89. It's actually east of Conway close to the ME border and is not only still open but IMO one of the best small areas anywhere.  

LOL, King Ridge! Thank you for pointing out my mistake. On my way up to Cranmore this year for a NE Ski Museum event, I took rt 153 to avoid the bridge construction over the Saco, it was the first time I'd been by there since mid-late 70's looked exactly as I remembered. My junior high/high school's ski trips were Saturday at Attitash and Sunday at King Ridge, I think we stayed at the Purity Spring resort. I have a friend who now works there and I see a lot of video footage and it looks like it has a lot of fun terrain. That whole area is very pretty too.

48 minutes ago, Angus said:

LOL, King Ridge! Thank you for pointing out my mistake. On my way up to Cranmore this year for a NE Ski Museum event, I took rt 153 to avoid the bridge construction over the Saco, it was the first time I'd been by there since mid-late 70's looked exactly as I remembered. My junior high/high school's ski trips were Saturday at Attitash and Sunday at King Ridge, I think we stayed at the Purity Spring resort. I have a friend who now works there and I see a lot of video footage and it looks like it has a lot of fun terrain. That whole area is very pretty too.

Yes King Pine is part of the Purity Spring Resort.  That's part of what makes it such a fantastic small area, nearly unlimited water from a spring fed lake.  They've had great snowmaking for over 30 years enabling them to keep chugging along and be profitable against much bigger players.  

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

So by far highest peak of that range. 

Believe it or not there was a ski area on Long Island in the 70s. Considering the highest point in is around 300' it wasn't a big deal. They had no snow making and as soon as the  80s LI snow drought hit that was it 

Actually there were several ski areas on LI when I was a kid.  Bald Hill, Bethpage and one other that I can't remember the name of.  Take a look on NELSAP, they have the info there.

15 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Looks like we might have lift served skiing until June at kilington this year with the cooler air returning so quickly.  

Yeah its going to be close I think.  I'm watching the webcam every day to try and monitor the amount of melting.  We're just starting to see the S-turn start to melt inwards from the edges.  This is the traditional marker of the beginning of the end.  I'll be curious to see how damaging tomorrow and Thursday are to this region of Superstar.

If they make it to June 1 I'm going to try and head up.  That's a Thursday but they may open just for that day because I'm thinking that every day is going to count when it comes to late may melting.

Either way I'm trying to head up on Saturday.  Already have permission from the wife - so I'm half-way there!

19 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Looks like we might have lift served skiing until June at kilington this year with the cooler air returning so quickly.  

The photos I've seen from Superstar look mighty impressive for this time of year.  The very cold first two weeks of May have done wonders for preservation it seems.

I wonder whether the World Cup ice will be extra durable.  Two to three weeks ago or so, last time they groomed, they pulled up some chunks of the World Cup ice into the groomed sugar snow.  It made the groomed section horribly treacherous.  The World Cup stuff is not going anywhere.  It will be interesting to see how durable that bottom layer is.

47 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

I wonder whether the World Cup ice will be extra durable.  Two to three weeks ago or so, last time they groomed, they pulled up some chunks of the World Cup ice into the groomed sugar snow.  It made the groomed section horribly treacherous.  The World Cup stuff is not going anywhere.  It will be interesting to see how durable that bottom layer is.

They have made it to June before, so I have doubt that with the extra snowmaking power and what they did prior to the WC, things should easily be skiable.

Big time spring snowstorm for the Front range today and tomorrow...prob 3 feet or more. The powderhounds will be out at Abasin I'm sure chasing this one.

Pretty classic ULL look and precip pattern:

f33.gif

Archived