Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice pic ginxy...even if it was the wrong one, lol. That's an awesome day right there. Reminds me a bit of the last day at SR in my 2014 trip...right after you had left. There was that surprise 16" dump I think on your last night there and then the weekend got cold after a clipper dropped 2-3" on my first day. The last day I was there on that trip I think was 3/24/14 and it was cold but bluebird sky like that after about 10am. Low wind so it actually felt pretty good in the sun even though temps were like low to mid 20s. But it was just perfect chalk packed powder all day. Don't think I could have hit ice if I tried. Sometimes those are the best days of all. The "cold enough for chalky snow but not too cold to freeze" type day in late March. The sun angle this time of year really makes the day stand out. 

Some days it can be the enemy but it's your friend on a day like today. 

Crazy week so far from spring to snownados 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet pics Steve! Glad you timed it right - It's definitely been a solid season at the rivah with Saturday being one of the best eastern non- powder days I've had in several years(although not much can top what I had out in UT a few weeks ago - should post some pics from that soon. Solitude/Brighton/Snowbird was amazing including 11" at Brighton). 

Curious where you've heard that they're doing a HSQ on Spruce - last I heard it was a fixed triple, but they've removed references to a triple on their website and now just mention a new lift which has sparked some speculation that something may be up.

53 minutes ago, SR Airglow said:

Sweet pics Steve! Glad you timed it right - It's definitely been a solid season at the rivah with Saturday being one of the best eastern non- powder days I've had in several years(although not much can top what I had out in UT a few weeks ago - should post some pics from that soon. Solitude/Brighton/Snowbird was amazing including 11" at Brighton). 

Curious where you've heard that they're doing a HSQ on Spruce - last I heard it was a fixed triple, but they've removed references to a triple on their website and now just mention a new lift which has sparked some speculation that something may be up.

Talked to some locals.

Hey PF or AdK:  I am going to be in Stowe this weekend and possibly a lot more often.  Brother in Law lives in town and my wife wants to see him more, so we are looking around at real estate.  We do a fair amount of skinning and back country, but its over in Maine.  I know there is a contingent of dawn patrol at the mountain.  Is there a stanard route uphill?  Am I correct, that the uphill policy is "allowed when the mountain is closed" and no uphill when open?  Thanks for any info.  Will be a nice change from SR.

On 3/23/2017 at 11:50 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Talked to some locals.

Yeah. I think a triple would be strange.  Maybe a fixed grip quad, but why not spring for a high speed.    That's a nice part of the resort iirc.   I need to get back there sometime.  

Hoping for a few hours of non wet skiing this afternoon/evening with the family. They still have most of the local bump open and no crowds

18 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Did some local skiing this week at Mohawk with my wife while the kids were in school-mid week skiing is awesome-literally no one out there.  No way these places turn a profit on days like that....

Nope.  I know someone who works at my local hill and one recent day they sold 11 tickets.  Granted, the weather was bad.    Mostly pass holders at this point

We will buy dinner st the restaurant tonight 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'm at Stratton right now and it's awful. Freezing rain the top 500' with glare ice and rain the rest of the way down. Worst conditions I have been out in a few years as I usually plan around days like today 

You should have flipped to snow by now--even at the base. I'm almost all snow at your latitude with only 250' of elevation.

Was at Okemo yesterday.  Conditions were just OK, but feel like we really lucked out compared to mountains just to the north and south.  Okemo didn't have any freezing rain to speak of, just snow showers for most of the day.  It accumulated about an inch over the firm corduroy, making conditions fine if not great.  Their firm bumps were surprisingly fun, though.  The new snow was just enough to make it pretty easy to prevent over rotating in the slick troughs.

Snow surface aside, it was a very pretty day to just be out in the falling snow with friends.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Don't think I saw this posted...

https://vtdigger.org/2017/03/24/killington-frontrunner-fis-world-cup-event/

Killington must have left a lasting impression this past November...as it looks like they might get it again this year.

FIS has said it was the best first event they've had in at least a decade when they try a new venue.  

The crowd numbers were incredible and they've said they don't get that sort of "vibe" when they run these things in like Beaver Creek or Park City in November.  The northeast has such a huge ski racing community (born from lots of ice to go fast on haha) that I think they underestimated the crowds and TV viewers.  Easy access to a lot of big metro areas, too.  

I think we'll see this at Killington now for several years.  Our Mt Mansfield Ski Club (race team) director was the hill chief for the event in Killington and he said it was the best FIS race event he's been involved in.  

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

FIS has said it was the best first event they've had in at least a decade when they try a new venue.  

The crowd numbers were incredible and they've said they don't get that sort of "vibe" when they run these things in like Beaver Creek or Park City in November.  The northeast has such a huge ski racing community (born from lots of ice to go fast on haha) that I think they underestimated the crowds and TV viewers.  Easy access to a lot of big metro areas, too.  

I think we'll see this at Killington now for several years.  Our Mt Mansfield Ski Club (race team) director was the hill chief for the event in Killington and he said it was the best FIS race event he's been involved in.  

Killington got a chance to flex their snow making muscles in that event. The event costs them money in the short term, but it's probably a good long game for them to get that exposure.

The writing appeared to be on the wall for this already, but Vail has announced that Stowe will be fully integrated into the Epic and Epic Local passes pending closing of the sale:

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/vailresorts/epic-pass-stowe.htm

It's certainly a great deal from a price perspective for Stowe passholders.  Like everyone, I'm very curious to see how it affects traffic, etc.

Still hoping that Stowe participates in some discount programs such as ski council days, etc.  Vail window rates would pretty much completely price me out of Stowe for the foreseeable future.

Drove up and skied at WaWa for what I thought might be final visit of the season. One of the employees said they think they stay open thru next weekend, April 8-9. They have more than enough snow. I took the majority of runs down a bump line under the summit chair. Hoping to get up there on Saturday if weather accommodates, hope to go north of Sunday. There is still snow in the woods, crazy given how the place was melting out in February!

Was just perusing the sports section and noticed Blue Hills was still reporting and their website says they will reopen on Sunday which is great. Also, noticed Big Squaw (Moosehead Lake, ME) was reporting too. Looks like they have been open 60 days this season. This area was closed for at least a couple seasons and the local community has resurrected...good for them. Big Squaw captured my imagination when I was a kid back in the mid 70's. 

Moosehead (and that whole section of Maine) is absolutely spectacular but remote. According to google, Big Squaw is 45 minutes further from Portland than Sugarloaf. There is a state park on the lake which is great for summer camping but go in August to avoid the bugs. It is a short summer season. 

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Drove up and skied at WaWa for what I thought might be final visit of the season. One of the employees said they think they stay open thru next weekend, April 8-9. They have more than enough snow. I took the majority of runs down a bump line under the summit chair. Hoping to get up there on Saturday if weather accommodates, hope to go north of Sunday. There is still snow in the woods, crazy given how the place was melting out in February!

Was just perusing the sports section and noticed Blue Hills was still reporting and their website says they will reopen on Sunday which is great. Also, noticed Big Squaw (Moosehead Lake, ME) was reporting too. Looks like they have been open 60 days this season. This area was closed for at least a couple seasons and the local community has resurrected...good for them. Big Squaw captured my imagination when I was a kid back in the mid 70's. 

I was there after dinner for a couple of hours tonight. After the 2 big rain events I was surprised at the coverage. Still in great shape for late March with paste to come.  It was empty and iced up quite a bit. Smith off the summit was pretty gnarly. 

I love the sunsets from near the top...Monadnock looms in the background

IMG_6100.JPG

13 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Heading to Killington at 6am tomorrow to ski on my birthday.  Looking forward to my first powder skiing birthday at age 50!!!  I'm hping for mostly wet roads until I head up the hill from Rutland....fingers crossed.

Happy birthday, go go go

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

Heading to Killington at 6am tomorrow to ski on my birthday.  Looking forward to my first powder skiing birthday at age 50!!!  I'm hping for mostly wet roads until I head up the hill from Rutland....fingers crossed.

I would go sunday on mine but i'm lazy lol enjoy the day!

As happens every year around this time, resorts are slowly starting to shut down...pond skimming and box car races being held. Pats Peak had their last day today but picked up 15inches...Blue Hills updated some snow making equipment and this is the first time in their operating history they were open in April- today was their last day though the deluge of rain was horrendous. Most resorts will be closed by tax day. Of course Killington and Stowe will probably push it until May. Another season written into the books. Northern ski areas did the best. Central and southern ski areas it was a roller coaster with some struggles though not as awful as last season. Almost time to turn our thoughts to next season...

Archived