Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

16 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

2nd time out today since my wipeout.

Anybody ever notice the older you get, the longer it takes to recover?

Even with just sore muscles... day +1 feels like normal soreness, but instead of just diminishing over the next day or so, it actually gets worse
By days +3 and +4 I'm a miserable wreck. Normal?

Its been 6 days and my ribs feel worse than ever. ...maybe a fracture?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I wonder if you're just pushing too hard for your current conditioning after a hiatus?  Maybe do a few hours instead of 9-4 and see how that feels?

Are you skiing tentatively?  Boot fit dialed in?  I notice that when I'm not comfortable and confident I fatigue much quicker.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if you're just pushing too hard for your current conditioning after a hiatus?  Maybe do a few hours instead of 9-4 and see how that feels?

Are you skiing tentatively?  Boot fit dialed in?  I notice that when I'm not comfortable and confident I fatigue much quicker.

I'm not sore from skiing in general. Sure, first few weeks of the season I'd feel it, but not by now. I typically do push myself, but I'm not some hard-charging crazy off-pister typically.

Also, very rarely do I put in more than 5 hours at a whack. As a passholder I can come and go. I take full advantage of it.

I'm not even referring just to skiing, saying in general that if I do something I normally don't, years ago I'd feel it for a day. Now it's several days of feeling progressively worse. Im 42.

1 hour ago, Professional Lurker said:

I'm not sore from skiing in general. Sure, first few weeks of the season I'd feel it, but not by now. I typically do push myself, but I'm not some hard-charging crazy off-pister typically.

Also, very rarely do I put in more than 5 hours at a whack. As a passholder I can come and go. I take full advantage of it.

I'm not even referring just to skiing, saying in general that if I do something I normally don't, years ago I'd feel it for a day. Now it's several days of feeling progressively worse. Im 42.

Def as I get older it takes longer to recover.   Beats the alternative 

And I hear ya on the pass holder thing. I'm usually only at Wachusett for a few hours, so yesterday's fun was def felt today. Lol. I'm impressed at how many days you have gone. I doubt I get to 30 this season

My school closed again tomorrow so I'm going skiing.  Deciding between Gore (Adirondacks) or Hunter / Windham (Catskills).  Gore only got 11" today, but are expecting another foot tonight.  Hunter and Windham got 2 ft. today, but they are more expensive and have more trails closed since I think a lot of them had no base before the storm.  Gore has almost all trails open and much more interesting terrain.  Hmmmmm.  First world problem.  Do you guys think the ADK's will play catch up tonight and tomorrow?

15 hours ago, zeepowderhunter said:

I will be heading to Magic. They are not open today and are opening tomorrow for POW day! Tix online are are like $51. Old fix grip lifts that's are sheltered.  Old school vibe and great terrain if you into that type of thing. Enjoy wherever you go!

Thanks!  I might be at Magic, too.  Planning to decide my destination when I get to Brattleboro.

1 hour ago, sankaty said:

Magic is pretty great today. Hitting bottom on the steepest trails, but everything else is soft and deep.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Did you go Magician if it's open? That trails nutty!! Thinking maybe magic Saturday and I have that awesome 17$ pass for snow Sunday. Hopefully freshy this weekend! Super super stoked!

Went to Gore today. Over 2 ft. of powder. One of the best ski days of my life. Felt like I was skiing champagne powder at Steamboat. No lift lines, fresh tracks and spectacular glades. They have like 26 glades. Very cool mountain in good conditions. Groomers were so buttery soft. I feel like my winter is complete now lol..........oh wait....I want more!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/10/2017 at 8:32 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

Area skied: Okemo Mountain

weather was fine.  Temps around 29-32 all day. A mix of clouds, sun, some flurries. No wind really

Very little snow off the trails. I think the trees are done for S VT.

on the trails, they had plenty of coverage, but it was largely ice/boilerplate. Very fast but took a beating.  

Checked out the Jackson Gore side which I hadn't really been to much before.  Some nice trails.  The base area over there is kinda weird.  We ate at the Roundhouse and I was not impressed   We had wanted to eat at Epic but we were in the wrong area

Crowds were small in the morning but got larger later in the day. I'm guessing pass holders coming after school?

i was impressed that they were blowing snow all day on several trails.

You will do great at Pico...the snow blows into the woods and there will be plenty of fresh still there. The trees are far from done at Killington/Pico. Very deep in there! all the snow is blowing off slopes and into the trees and there's a lot!

8 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Went to Gore today. Over 2 ft. of powder. One of the best ski days of my life. Felt like I was skiing champagne powder at Steamboat. No lift lines, fresh tracks and spectacular glades. They have like 26 glades. Very cool mountain in good conditions. Groomers were so buttery soft. I feel like my winter is complete now lol..........oh wait....I want more!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gore is really nice...I like the glades there. I am sure it was amazing!

10 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Did you go Magician if it's open? That trails nutty!! Thinking maybe magic Saturday and I have that awesome 17$ pass for snow Sunday. Hopefully freshy this weekend! Super super stoked!

Upper Magician was closed from the top (with good reason), but I was able to get to it below the steep first pitch via Broomstick.  Hadn't seen much traffic and skied very well, but don't think it will hold up for very long.

Goniff was a bit rocky, and Black Line looked boney.  All the single blacks were in fantastic shape, and Witch and Twilight were great, too.  The woods were powdery, but with lots of hidden obstacles.  Took one woods run and that was enough for me.

Skiing Pico tomorrow.

5 hours ago, CoolMike said:

Anyone have a good report of conditions at Sugarbush?  I'm skiing there on Saturday.  Are the woods open again?  I heard that the woods off of Castlerock was in good shape.  I'm assuming that paradise will also be in nice shape.  Thanks!

They reported about 40" new so yes I would say the woods are open :)

On 3/16/2017 at 1:15 PM, CoolMike said:

Anyone have a good report of conditions at Sugarbush?  I'm skiing there on Saturday.  Are the woods open again?  I heard that the woods off of Castlerock was in good shape.  I'm assuming that paradise will also be in nice shape.  Thanks!

All good.  Gotta watch out for what's underneath in the lower elevation woods, but plenty of powder.  Didn't do slidebrook but saw a ton of people waiting for the bus at German flats.

Skied at Bromley yesterday taking advantage of their $17 St. Patrick's Day special. Deep blue skies and cool temperatures but with their southern exposure it was perfect. They got around 2' from the storm and everything was open but by end of day, a bit of dirt was showing through on natural trails here and there. They had left a good amount of terrain ungroomed so it was fun to ski leftover chop and developing bumps. I've skied Bromley six times maybe and never had a bad day and although there is really no super difficult terrain, it keeps your attention and is fun to ski. 

After the best powder skiing week of my time at Stowe (and likely my life).... this weekend is unreal.

Packed powder like you don't find in the east very often, full sunshine, temps like 25-35F and calm winds. 

I love the March sunshine... this is like Colorado weather and skiing conditions. 

Having-fun-in-the-sun-is-what-its-all-ab

Unlike-anywhere-else-in-Vermont..jpg

What-a-view..jpg

Fantastic-conditions-this-weekend.jpg

One-of-those-days..jpg

Rolling-out-the-white-carpet..jpg

Fantastic-carving-conditions..jpg

Archived