Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Jesus Christ dude.  I remember that but didn't know it was that bad.  Sorry you had to go through that.

Was the snow bridge marked or did you just fall through?  Crazy, the risk manager side of me has red flags going off like crazy...like how does it happen and how do you prevent it.

No marking , and believe me the risk manager in me thought the same. There is a fence there now with markers. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Professional Lurker said:

Things were great those weekend! Fresh snow, straight from the guns! It was like midwinter!

Today was pretty good too. Slightly warmer. Gotta admit, I was sore as hell today and skied very cautiously until the last run.

There were whales everywhere but no active snowmaking. Obviously they were keeping the whales intact through the midweek warmup and then will push them out as needed. O ly got about 10 runs in, my head was pounding so I decided to call it a day.

I almost didn't go out today since I was a bit shook up still (felt almost hung over and loopy). Was thinking about how athletes typically take time off to recover from even mild concussions, however the season is quickly winding down and I don't want to miss a moment of it. Not smart, probably, but I'm still here.

Glad I could start a string of posts about wrecks. Ginxy, I too remember yours. ...and when TB crashed headfirst into that hydrant on flying cloud several years ago. It was scary (and maybe I'm an ass), but it was kinda funny too...

Bummed that the season's winding down and i haven't met up with anyone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Lol yeah TB got a good black eye on that one. He fell one time on Shockwave at SR hit a Volkswagen Mogul on a steep pitch and was launched about 10 feet in the air, ended up in the ER with a bruised kidney but it was pretty funny watching it.

I think it was back around 1990...my family had Spanish exchange students either for the school year or summer. Some of the Spanish kids went skiing. Being rich teens away from parents, they got a little rambunctious when they went places unchaperoned. One kid, decided that he could ski better than he could. He came bombing down a black Diamond out of control. He reached the base lodge and skied through the ski racks. His speed kept him going and he went straight into the snow making pond. It was frozen. When his. Skis went front snow to ice, they gripped the ice and his speed abruptly stopped...however laws of physics, his body kept going, and he face planted right into the ice. He shattered every bone in his face. He literally almost died at the ski resort. He was in intensive care for a long time. Heven couldn't fly home because his injuries were to extensive. His parents had to come from Spain and rent a place in the US because it took so long for their kid to recover enough to be able to go home to Spain. I want to say it was at Gunstock...

I think it was back around 1990...my family had Spanish exchange students either for the school year or summer. Some of the Spanish kids went skiing. Being rich teens away from parents, they got a little rambunctious when they went places unchaperoned. One kid, decided that he could ski better than he could. He came bombing down a black Diamond out of control. He reached the base lodge and skied through the ski racks. His speed kept him going and he went straight into the snow making pond. It was frozen. When his. Skis went front snow to ice, they gripped the ice and his speed abruptly stopped...however laws of physics, his body kept going, and he face planted right into the ice. He shattered every bone in his face. He literally almost died at the ski resort. He was in intensive care for a long time. Heven couldn't fly home because his injuries were to extensive. His parents had to come from Spain and rent a place in the US because it took so long for their kid to recover enough to be able to go home to Spain. I want to say it was at Gunstock...

Yikes.

20 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Okemo day Friday if my Wachusett passes indeed get us 50% off...vs Waterville using Liftopia

Called Okemo.  They confirmed 50% off lift tickets if we bring our Wachusett passes and if they are good for the day we go (which on Friday they would be).

first time there for wife and daughter.  They have plenty of terrain open and a nice lift system.  I know it is kinda boring but it is under 2 hours and can ski well

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Called Okemo.  They confirmed 50% off lift tickets if we bring our Wachusett passes and if they are good for the day we go (which on Friday they would be).

first time there for wife and daughter.  They have plenty of terrain open and a nice lift system.  I know it is kinda boring but it is under 2 hours and can ski well

Nothing wrong with Okemo for cruisers...some might call it boring, but I say when there's been a lack of natural snow for a while with some freeze/thaw cycles, it sure beats trying to go down a steep mogul hill with death patches (of ice) all over them. Cruise away....should be good for Friday...though I suspect pretty cold. Hopefully the clipper gets far enough north to at least give an inch or two of refresher there.

Okemo is on my list of places to try.  Don't know how I've missed it after all of these years.  When there is good natural snow, do they have any decent steeps, mogul runs, tree skiing?  Was going to go to Killington Saturday, but I'm not sure I wanna freeze my butt off in March.  1st world problems.

9 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Okemo is on my list of places to try.  Don't know how I've missed it after all of these years.  When there is good natural snow, do they have any decent steeps, mogul runs, tree skiing?  Was going to go to Killington Saturday, but I'm not sure I wanna freeze my butt off in March.  1st world problems.

I've gone to Okemo a couple of times this season for the first time in about 15 years.  No real steeps to speak of, but that's true for most of VT south of Killington except for Magic.  They seem to have a few decent tree runs, though cover was thin when I was there, so I didn't have much chance to evaluate first hand.  They have some nice bump runs (Sel's Choice, Plunge, Punchline).  The bump runs are frequently seeded, so they have just about perfect lines.  The bump runs are a bit short though; not many summit-to-base bump options.  We went after a snowstorm and much of the Jackson Gore area was left ungroomed, which was great.  Killington definitely has better/more varied advanced terrain and is only about 20 minutes further north.

Their lift system did a decent job of spreading out crowds and they do a good job of grooming/snowmaking.  It's a good option for families.

1 minute ago, sankaty said:

I've gone to Okemo a couple of times this season for the first time in about 15 years.  No real steeps to speak of, but that's true for most of VT south of Killington except for Magic.  They seem to have a few decent tree runs, though cover was thin when I was there, so I didn't have much chance to evaluate first hand.  They have some nice bump runs.  The bump runs are frequently seeded, so they have just about perfect lines.  The bump runs are a bit short though; not many summit-to-base bump options.  We went after a snowstorm and much of the Jackson Gore area was left ungroomed, which was great.

Their lift system did a decent job of spreading out crowds and they do a good job of grooming/snowmaking.  It's a good option for families.

Sounds intriguing.  Thanks.  Sounds like a good place to avoid cartwheels.

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nothing wrong with Okemo for cruisers...some might call it boring, but I say when there's been a lack of natural snow for a while with some freeze/thaw cycles, it sure beats trying to go down a steep mogul hill with death patches (of ice) all over them. Cruise away....should be good for Friday...though I suspect pretty cold. Hopefully the clipper gets far enough north to at least give an inch or two of refresher there.

These are perfect conditions for Okemo.  They take their grooming real seriously and are known as one of the best when conditions suck.  When conditions are great there's not that much difference haha, it's all groomed anyway.  Like if everyone is buried in snow it's more fun to hit the Jay/Stowe/Sugarbush terrain but right now most of that renowned terrain is closed because it's a double diamond death slide through frozen moguls and ledges haha. 

If the weather dictates groomer-only terrain, Okemo does it very well.  That and when it's cold the lifts are high-speed (also the bubble chair, which gives Gondola-like protection) so you aren't freezing your arse off on a slow chair only to fly down a groomer in 60 seconds to get back on a slow chair.  I find I hate fixed grip lifts a lot more when the skiing is easy and fast...it's not like you are tired and hot and need some rest. 

In these conditions with high speed lifts you can rack up that vertical.

Is this legit?  The nonreaction of everyone near her is so strange.  Nobody even flinches at impact.

Lol, yeah... pretty sure it's legit. She gets tripped up by the skis on the ground and loses one of her own. ...she then careens headfirst into the rack. I think everybody is in shock at what they just witnessed, tbh.

I'm a sicko, but i think i would have wet myself. It's funny stuff.

Question for you skiiing guys and girls. i have always wondered about moguls/bump runs, mainly because i can't ski them for s**t. but how are they created/formed? they look like they are perfectly placed and spaced out on the hill. 

Moguls form as skiers turn on a flat snow surface.  Each skier carves a trough and makes a pile of snow downhill from the turn.  As subsequent skiers mimic the same lines as previous skiers, the moguls get bigger and more defined.  The softer and deeper the snow, the more quickly moguls will form.  It's not very common, but some mountains will use grooming machines to make evenly spaced grooves on a groomed slope, a process called seeding.  This prompts skiers to make evenly spaced turns down the slope, creating very regular and predictable mogul patterns.  I believe most competition mogul slopes are made this way.

Fun fact: moguls gradually migrate uphill.   See here:  http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/how-skiers-move-moguls-uphill/

On very steep slopes (I think about 40 degrees or steeper), moguls don't form because the snow pushed down hill fans out instead of piling up.

Vail effect in full force as Sugarbush announces season pass rates.  For reference, last year's early purchase unlimited adult rate was $1150 and didn't include MC benefits.

Copy/pasted from another forum:

Premium passes (unlimited 7 day access, also entitled to Mountain Collective program benefits of 50% off day tickets at other MC resorts)
Adult (40-64) - $799
Senior (65-79) - $699
Silver Senior (80-89) - $149
90+ - $0
Youth (7-18 ) - $349
For20s (19-29) - $349
For30s (30-39) - $549

Value passes (Mt Ellen unlimited, LP M-F Non-Holiday, LP unlimited before ME opens and after ME closes - No Mountain Collective Benefits)
Adult - $549
Youth (7-18 ) - $249

10 hours ago, sankaty said:

Vail effect in full force as Sugarbush announces season pass rates.  For reference, last year's early purchase unlimited adult rate was $1150 and didn't include MC benefits.

Premium passes (unlimited 7 day access, also entitled to Mountain Collective program benefits of 50% off day tickets at other MC resorts)
Adult (40-64) - $799
Senior (65-79) - $699
90+ - $0
Youth (7-18 ) - $349
For20s (19-29) - $349
For30s (30-39) - $549

Value passes (Mt Ellen unlimited, LP M-F Non-Holiday, LP unlimited before ME opens and after ME closes - No Mountain Collective Benefits)
Adult - $549
Youth (7-18 ) - $249

Good for me.  And mtn collective on top of that.

Wow, Saturday looks like a chilly ski day. I guess I'll bag another weekend and wait for powder and or warmth. Killington summit forecast is a high of -6F with 30 mph winds. And I would expect lots of ice with only a couple of days of cold to fire up the snowmaking. Darn crappy timing for weekend skiers.  

On 3/8/2017 at 8:12 PM, sankaty said:

Adult (40-64) - $799
Senior (65-79) - $699
90+ - $0
Youth (7-18 ) - $349
For20s (19-29) - $349
For30s (30-39) - $549

Adult - $549
Youth (7-18 ) - $249

Wow, I have never seen that 30s discount. Allot of places have the under 30 discount but you get screwed (me) if your over 30. To bad the bush is to far from my house 

MAX pass is adding Gore, Belleayre, Whiteface, Windham, Lutsen and Granite Peak.  They're dropping Steven's Pass.  On their FB page, they strongly hint that more mountain additions will be announced soon

Passes will go on sale on Tuesday, March 14. $629 for adults with a $49 down payment option and $329 for the adult add-on pass.

Other prices are $429 for teen (13-17), $329 for youth (6-12) and $29 for child.

I think the MAX pass is in our future (along with cheap NY/CT ski club memberships).  I'd love to go with the Epic Pass or Sugarbush MC, but Stowe/Sugarbush are just too far away to get enough days in.  The place we've been staying in VT is 20 minutes from Okemo, 30 from Killington, and 40 from Pico.  That's 15 days right there.  Stratton and Mount Sunapee are about an hour, and Stratton is also a day trip destination from Middletown, so I could easily get 20-25 days on just the south/central NE mountains.  Then there is the possibility of doing a SLC visit for Solitude/Brighton or a Front Range visit for WP/Copper.

I wish that there was a northern VT mountain on the MAX pass to go to during one of those upslope special weeks.  Perhaps one of the future announcements could include Jay or Smuggs.

Area skied: Okemo Mountain

weather was fine.  Temps around 29-32 all day. A mix of clouds, sun, some flurries. No wind really

Very little snow off the trails. I think the trees are done for S VT.

on the trails, they had plenty of coverage, but it was largely ice/boilerplate. Very fast but took a beating.  

Checked out the Jackson Gore side which I hadn't really been to much before.  Some nice trails.  The base area over there is kinda weird.  We ate at the Roundhouse and I was not impressed   We had wanted to eat at Epic but we were in the wrong area

Crowds were small in the morning but got larger later in the day. I'm guessing pass holders coming after school?

i was impressed that they were blowing snow all day on several trails.

Area skied: Okemo Mountain

weather was fine.  Temps around 29-32 all day. A mix of clouds, sun, some flurries. No wind really

Very little snow off the trails. I think the trees are done for S VT.

on the trails, they had plenty of coverage, but it was largely ice/boilerplate. Very fast but took a beating.  

Checked out the Jackson Gore side which I hadn't really been to much before.  Some nice trails.  The base area over there is kinda weird.  We ate at the Roundhouse and I was not impressed   We had wanted to eat at Epic but we were in the wrong area

Crowds were small in the morning but got larger later in the day. I'm guessing pass holders coming after school?

i was impressed that they were blowing snow all day on several trails.

Nice, I was curious how you made out. I'm about to commit on the $17 st pattys day mt snow tix. It's going to be a zoo. Debated the $17 mt. Ellen tix instead but closer is better. Going to get up there early for first tracks since by mid-morning it will get sketchy.

put in a few hours at the bump in charlemont. It was looking like they were getting set to blow more snow tonight. ...who knows about the winds though. Still ripping here.

Just looked at a calendar. Day 41 for me.

19 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Nice, I was curious how you made out. I'm about to commit on the $17 st pattys day mt snow tix. It's going to be a zoo. Debated the $17 mt. Ellen tix instead but closer is better. Going to get up there early for first tracks since by mid-morning it will get sketchy.

put in a few hours at the bump in charlemont. It was looking like they were getting set to blow more snow tonight. ...who knows about the winds though. Still ripping here.

Just looked at a calendar. Day 41 for me.

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought the $17 ticket for mt snow. Next weekend could be seriously epic if all goes well

Just arrived home from Mount Cranmore where I participated in a fund raiser for the NE Ski Museum. Wow, it was cold. Morning was pretty unbearable with temps +/- 0 and high winds. Only mid-mountain lift was open in AM. In the PM, the south side summit lift opened which was sheltered from the wind. Snow was hard and fast as expected but fine. First time at Cranmore, after driving by so many times. Fun little mountain with some good terrain when they have snow. Kudos for their staff in supporting the event. Good time. Would be great to get the local Nordic ctr open again with this storm.

2nd time out today since my wipeout.

Anybody ever notice the older you get, the longer it takes to recover?

Even with just sore muscles... day +1 feels like normal soreness, but instead of just diminishing over the next day or so, it actually gets worse
By days +3 and +4 I'm a miserable wreck. Normal?

Its been 6 days and my ribs feel worse than ever. ...maybe a fracture?

Archived