Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very enlightening to see the differences in honesty in snow reports this morning.  Stowe gets much respect for being straightforward about the challenging conditions.  Mount Snow and Sugarbush are also pretty honest, with Snow helpfully reminding skiers of their snow guarantee.

Pico is the loser today, with this line: "we will be grateful for the smooth, soft surfaces provided by Pico's grooming team."  Soft?  I don't think so.

19 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Very enlightening to see the differences in honesty in snow reports this morning.  Stowe gets much respect for being straightforward about the challenging conditions.  Mount Snow and Sugarbush are also pretty honest, with Snow helpfully reminding skiers of their snow guarantee.

Pico is the loser today, with this line: "we will be grateful for the smooth, soft surfaces provided by Pico's grooming team."  Soft?  I don't think so.

These are the days I really enjoy the groomers, fast and hard with late Feb sun out by afternoon they soften some. Good Mountain ops let the mountain drain then groom late. The powder hounds are on hold but there is still fun to be had.

46 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Ha, thanks, its not worth it on days like this to try and bring people to the hill.  Its just not the experience we want people to remember so its almost better to try and keep them away a little bit.

Its blowing sideways, there is some new snow but its mostly pasted to the trees, and the re-groom this morning (delayed opening) really helped on the main routes.  Anything not groomed is terrifying. 

13 hours ago, Quakertown needs snow said:

Powder mt. Utah today, 3 days of snow, knee to waist deep, epic day

IMG_0280.PNG

IMG_0282.PNG

Personally, I'm not a fan of going to the big name Mtns because of the huge crowds...obviously weekends and holidays are jam packed...but it's not like many people have the option to go during the week because of the traditional M-F work week.

PowMow has been a bucket list item of mine. Yes, I'm sure it draws a crowd, but most generic average skier will name drop Alta, or Snow Bird. Plus PowMow is local to Ogden and not SLC so that helps with crowds.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, thanks, its not worth it on days like this to try and bring people to the hill.  Its just not the experience we want people to remember so its almost better to try and keep them away a little bit.

Its blowing sideways, there is some new snow but its mostly pasted to the trees, and the re-groom this morning (delayed opening) really helped on the main routes.  Anything not groomed is terrifying. 

There's a reason NE produces so many world class skiers.  It's not powder days

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

There's a reason NE produces so many world class skiers.  It's not powder days

It is true... this is the stuff that makes you better.

I will say we did find some fun stuff to ski in the more sheltered spots of the mountain.  Around 2" fell and blew around, enough that most of the larger/wider trails are blown clean with the ice surface showing.

But in those sheltered spots a few good turns were had.  I will say it is better than I was expecting but I had absolutely no expectations.

These turns were loud, remember it might look nice but that's a very firm surface under there, ha.

Cliff-Trail-had-a-couple-inches-of-fresh

Sheltered-trails-offering-the-best-turns

Glades-Return..jpg

Pure paste fell last night, best paste snow and caked trees were around the 2,000ft elevation as both these photos are from that general elevation. 

Wintry-scene-off-Lullaby-Lane..jpg

Winter.-We-missed-you..jpg

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of going to the big name Mtns because of the huge crowds...obviously weekends and holidays are jam packed...but it's not like many people have the option to go during the week because of the traditional M-F work week.

PowMow has been a bucket list item of mine. Yes, I'm sure it draws a crowd, but most generic average skier will name drop Alta, or Snow Bird. Plus PowMow is local to Ogden and not SLC so that helps with crowds.

Over 8,000 acres of terrain, limit of 2,000 tickets sold per  day leaves a lot of untracked powder even days after a storm. Snowcat access for $25 took us to waist deep utah fluff.  No upscale lodges which is perfect for me. We also hit snowbasin another nice area. Crazy upscale bathrooms and lodges probably built for olympics. 

14 minutes ago, amarshall said:

15" new this morning at Solitude UT. Theyre shooting the canyons right now. It sounds like Beirut. Midnight red eye home later today and hoping we can get down the canyon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You probably don't want to come home ;).

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

15" new this morning at Solitude UT. Theyre shooting the canyons right now. It sounds like Beirut. Midnight red eye home later today and hoping we can get down the canyon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Still one of my most favorite experiences is twice being up in the Canyon while they were firing...once at Snowbird and once at Alta.  The only way you'll ever hear stuff like that as a civilian.  You can hear the shells hiss across the canyon and boom on the other side.  Then the entire hillside falls 3000ft to the road.

Thats gotta be the most fun job in the world.  Snow safety and science in Utah for the DOT or ski resorts.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Still one of my most favorite experiences is twice being up in the Canyon while they were firing...once at Snowbird and once at Alta.  The only way you'll ever hear stuff like that as a civilian.  You can hear the shells hiss across the canyon and boom on the other side.  Then the entire hillside falls 3000ft to the road.

Thats gotta be the most fun job in the world.  Snow safety and science in Utah for the DOT or ski resorts.

That kind of deserves a #manstuff right there.

44 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I feel bad for those with trips planned up here that should normally see peak conditions at this point. 

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed out right now.

But last forecast I could stomach looking at had warm temps Sunday and Monday with a  chance of snow Monday Am (turning to rain...but still)...

So I guess that's the dream shot....all that snow up there and I'm praying it warms up....oh well.

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

I feel bad for those with trips planned up here that should normally see peak conditions at this point. 

"Normally" in Eastern skiing doesn't really work.  Here's the glass half full look.

Its worlds better than last year and today was surprisingly decent.  More nights of grooming will help.  

It can rain at any point all season long in the East.  There's no normal peak conditions.  There's normal peak snow depth, sure.  The Mansfield stake was still above normal yesterday.  

Trees and natural snow trails have plenty of snow and are still skiable right to the parking lot with still great base depths (just not the record depths there were 10 days ago).  It's not like it's game over for the season...to be honest it feels pretty normal right now for Eastern skiing.  

3 hours ago, eyewall said:

I have a Sugarloaf tripped planned for this w/e but have the option to delay a week and probably will. 

Buddy of mine at Wildcat says it is absolute concrete glare ice off the groomers.  Ski patrol has been working non-stop helping folks who accidentally got off trail into woods etc. 

I could see the bigger budget mountains firing up the snow guns on some trails this week. 

40 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I have a Sugarloaf tripped planned for this w/e but have the option to delay a week and probably will. 

Buddy of mine at Wildcat says it is absolute concrete glare ice off the groomers.  Ski patrol has been working non-stop helping folks who accidentally got off trail into woods etc. 

I could see the bigger budget mountains firing up the snow guns on some trails this week. 

Wachusett claimed they would fire up their guns this week.  I figured they would last night but I don't think they did.  Maybe Friday?

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If Euro weeklies are right I picked a good week to be in Maine at SR 20th through 26th

Archived