Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Nice Pic!  I am planning on getting my 4 year old daughter into lessons there (Polar Kids club). Big Thumbs up to Wachusett. I am normally an avid skier but have been dealing with some severe medical issues that have made me miss out on the last 2 seasons (Just got my new Brahma's 2 years ago too!).

I bought a bronze GPS pass in 2015-2016 and called them last week to see if they would get me a refund for the pass for last season so I could get my daughter some free lessons. They gave me $202 back for it more than a year later - awesome customer service. My daughter will be out there on her atomic's soon! 

That's very cool that they did that.  Keep the customer happy

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting statement...you mean like in the mazes?

When the mazes end there have typically been lifties to group people into 4s, 3s, singles etc.   When people fend for themselves it gets rather ugly.    

They added RFID card gates this season and most of their attention seems to be spent on getting people through those, but they are not being grouped and it gets chaotic.   I'm pretty chill there but this has been problematic 

Temps spiked and wet slides started in the Notch.  All that rock on the ridgeline, summit and notch region will start warming up with insolation and above freezing temperatures.  That will start to loosen and weaken the bonds between the ground and snow surface.  If too much weight, it could slide towards the ground if it gets really warm with this load on it.

A lot of reported wet slides in the Notch over the past 48 hours.  Some running close to RT 108, which is closed in the winter.

Feb_19_wet_slides_zps2hgx5slf.jpg

Made it over to Pico on Saturday. First time there, but my thoughts were a nice little mountain that gets "ignored" by the city crowds as they head to Killington. 

I also forgot just how warm skiing at 50 degrees feels. We drip.

In classic late day fashion I did manage to miss a carved mogul in some flat light and banged my shoulder pretty good trying to save it. Rubbed some dirt on it and got a few more runs in before the Long Trail was calling my name.

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Made it over to Pico on Saturday. First time there, but my thoughts were a nice little mountain that gets "ignored" by the city crowds as they head to Killington. 

I also forgot just how warm skiing at 50 degrees feels. We drip.

In classic late day fashion I did manage to miss a carved mogul in some flat light and banged my shoulder pretty good trying to save it. Rubbed some dirt on it and got a few more runs in before the Long Trail was calling my name.

Good times. Going to be a great spring season 

2 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Saturday they opened Oz at Sunday River after wind holds on Friday.   Deep deep mashed potatoes .  My knee has been in recovery mode and was not helped by 3 ft of cement. 

Friday I head to Brighton UT, I may time this right.

http://www.wasatchsnowforecast.com/

Nice, yeah I tweaked mine a little. Back for cortisone before my week at SR. Friday was anything but cement. Have fun in Utah looks awesome.  Today's Euro puts another 6 to 8 feet in the Sierras.  Sick

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, alex said:

Very different mountains, both with great scenery. Bretton Woods has more mellow terrain but fantastic snow and the glades are awesome. Wildcat has tougher terrain and a great lift, but can be icier. 

Back in my skiing days Bretton Woods was my place.  At 250+ pounds Mellow was always my thing.

Looks like some great skiing all around east to west this season.  Nice to see the pics from everyone as always.

32 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Back in my skiing days Bretton Woods was my place.  At 250+ pounds Mellow was always my thing.

Looks like some great skiing all around east to west this season.  Nice to see the pics from everyone as always.

Mammoth is just getting annihilated. From their Ski patrol and doesn't include today. Possibly 6 more feet this week.

Date  HN24(") Base Depth SWE Rain % Density StormSnow " Storm SWE " Storm Rain  Season Snow Season SWE Season Precip Base Hi Temp Base Lo Temp Notes                                                                                                                    
2/16/2017 2.5 176.0 0.30 N 12 2.5 0.30 0.00 420.5 60.41 70.42 41 33 Short day time cell then cleared by afternoon.                                                                                                                    

2/17/2017 21.0 189.0 1.63 N 8             33 21 Started snowinig around 4am.  All but 3.5/.3 fell during ops hrs                                                                                                                    
2/18/2017 14.0 200.0 0.90 N 6 35.0 2.83 0.00 455.5 63.24 73.25 29 24 All snow was after ops hrs.  Clear day but crawling eye over mammoth.                                                                                                                     

2/19/2017 8.5 199.5 1.05 N 12       464.0     30 23 2' fell during ops 2/19                                                                                                                    
2/20/2017              

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mammoth is just getting annihilated. From their Ski patrol and doesn't include today. Possibly 6 more feet this week.

Date  HN24(") Base Depth SWE Rain % Density StormSnow " Storm SWE " Storm Rain  Season Snow Season SWE Season Precip Base Hi Temp Base Lo Temp Notes                                                                                                                    
2/16/2017 2.5 176.0 0.30 N 12 2.5 0.30 0.00 420.5 60.41 70.42 41 33 Short day time cell then cleared by afternoon.                                                                                                                    

2/17/2017 21.0 189.0 1.63 N 8             33 21 Started snowinig around 4am.  All but 3.5/.3 fell during ops hrs                                                                                                                    
2/18/2017 14.0 200.0 0.90 N 6 35.0 2.83 0.00 455.5 63.24 73.25 29 24 All snow was after ops hrs.  Clear day but crawling eye over mammoth.                                                                                                                     

2/19/2017 8.5 199.5 1.05 N 12       464.0     30 23 2' fell during ops 2/19                                                                                                                    
2/20/2017              

That base depth is amazing.  (lol at the season total)

from RENO NWS

The powerful storm has brought some of the most extreme Sierra ridge winds seen in many years, with peak gusts of 199 and 193 mph at Alpine and Squaw Summits respectively around 11 pm Monday night. The highest sustained wind was 148 mph at Alpine. Currently the winds are "only" gusting between 130-140 mph.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

from RENO NWS

The powerful storm has brought some of the most extreme Sierra ridge winds seen in many years, with peak gusts of 199 and 193 mph at Alpine and Squaw Summits respectively around 11 pm Monday night. The highest sustained wind was 148 mph at Alpine. Currently the winds are "only" gusting between 130-140 mph.

That's some pretty legit wind there. Man stuff.

GILFORD — "It was nuts," said Greg Goddard, general manager of Gunstock Mountain Resort, where on Sunday, for the first time in more than two decades, the crowd was so large that skiers were turned away.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx/local-news/102107-overflow-at-gunstock

Pretty impressive for a little mountain.

6 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

GILFORD — "It was nuts," said Greg Goddard, general manager of Gunstock Mountain Resort, where on Sunday, for the first time in more than two decades, the crowd was so large that skiers were turned away.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx/local-news/102107-overflow-at-gunstock

Pretty impressive for a little mountain.

so great to see as a lot of people depend on winter up there.

Archived