Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Berkshire East saves you a pretty significant amt of driving and is fun on a powder day.  Location allows you for a game-time decision based on snowfall/roads/etc.  They should generally do better in a wind hold situation vs. Stratton or Mt. Snow too.

Yup. Never wind holds with fixed grip chairs that top out at like 1600', although today was pretty breezy.

In fact, the area lost power due to winds around 2pm today. ...spent 45 minutes on the chair, but whatever. **** happens.

It's been amazing. Been out every day since Thursday. Was going to head to sugarbush tomorrow, but it's not needed. The wind has blown tons of snow into the woods and if you know where to go, while its not as deep as Mansfield, it's still pretty epic by massachusetts standards.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not weather related but I've skied Berkshire East once and really enjoyed but never been back. I live in metrowest Boston where Crotched, Sunapee, Mt Snow and Gunstock and even WV are similar driving distance. They do nothing to promote themselves to the metro Boston market which is unfortunate IMO. I've spoken to the owner's son about this and my impression is they have given up  on the market. 

My favorite part of skiing yesterday was at the end of the day:  Skiing some untracked snow with our 11 year old daughter and I hear "Dad! I'm stuck."  Look back and all I see are goggles and the top of her helmet sticking out of the pile of powder that had built up in front of her and stopped her.

"Ski in my tracks."

15 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Yup. Never wind holds with fixed grip chairs that top out at like 1600', although today was pretty breezy.

In fact, the area lost power due to winds around 2pm today. ...spent 45 minutes on the chair, but whatever. **** happens.

It's been amazing. Been out every day since Thursday. Was going to head to sugarbush tomorrow, but it's not needed. The wind has blown tons of snow into the woods and if you know where to go, while its not as deep as Mansfield, it's still pretty epic by massachusetts standards.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yesterday was one of the best days I've ever had at Berkshire East.  25000 vert by 1245pm and most all the turns were in powder, beautiful light chop, and wind strewn stuff in any troughs that formed.  Grooming occurred early and got a nice 1-2" of orographic fluff thereafter.    The entire mountain was open for business, and though I've seen more snow in the trees before, not sure I've ever seen the trails in better shape.  What a difference a week makes.

32 minutes ago, j24vt said:

My favorite part of skiing yesterday was at the end of the day:  Skiing some untracked snow with our 11 year old daughter and I hear "Dad! I'm stuck."  Look back and all I see are goggles and the top of her helmet sticking out of the pile of powder that had built up in front of her and stopped her.

"Ski in my tracks."

It's getting dangerously deep on the mountain.  Western type hazards now.  

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

absolutely true.  Tree wells are getting to be actually dangerous.  I've got some dumb friends without good skills who are venturing above treeline here in the Whites.  One of my friends who just got a split board actually asked if he could "borrow" my avvy gear.  He's young and impressionable, so I gave him a polite talk about why you never borrow someone's avvy gear when you have never used it or been trained to use it.  Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before someone does something stupid without the right gear, knowledge, and plan.  In the wise words of the JH tram "if you don't know, DON'T GO!"

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That's why I said it's getting scary deep.

Somber day.  Found upside down in the snow.  Couldn't get out.

Essentially like a tree well incident out west.

Ski and ride with a buddy when it gets like this.  

Been in one upside down have no idea where you are luckily I was sking with someone else

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So sorry to hear about what happened. What a horrible situation.

On the brighter side, Monday at Loon was the best day I've had in the east since December 2012 at Whiteface. 18" of perfect density pow, comfortable temps, and winds held off enough to keep plenty of lifts spinning. A day for the record books for sure.

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

1 hour ago, SR Airglow said:

A day for the record books for sure.

indeed.  The crappy woods at Attitash were skiing perfect madness with fresh lines til close.  Kid even lost his f'n slalom pole in a Jerry of the Day move on one of the lift lines.  He'll be looking for that til April.  And shoveling snow to pay for his replacement.  

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Here is some New England skiing that doesn't get talked about much http://www.reformer.com/stories/harris-hill-ski-jump-set-to-mark-95th-year,498319?

I've stopped by that ski jump before, pretty intimidating from the bottom. Ski jumping has pockets of participants - I'm familiar with Andover Outing Club which utilizes the ski jumps at Procter. Gunstock is in a perpetual fund raising effort to rebuilt and there are a couple of jumps in NH's Upper Valley, Storrs Hill in Lebanon and Newport. A good # of NEers have gone to olympics as jumpers and nordic combined participants. Ski jumping is big deal in UP of Michigan. I've driven out to some of those hills before and they are impressive.

Archived