• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Saddleback is a tough situation. The Berry family invests a ton a personal $$ with the best of intentions. The place is bleeding red I suspect and they don't want to invest anymore and then folks bash them. The mountain has outstanding terrain and great snow. I spent a day there a few years back with all the upper mountain lifts on windhold and just skied the T-bar and had a blast. The real problem is Sugarloaf. Sugarloaf is such a magnet, rightly or wrongly. The funny thing is that Rangeley is a true 4 season resort town with the lakes and mountain. The locals really liked Saddleback but they are day visitors and bring their lunches. For the mid-coasters, Sugarloaf is closer too. Really would love to see Saddleback reopen and be able to provide an alternative to Sugarloaf which I've been skiing sporadically since early 80's. & btw: any serious NE skier needs to go to the Loaf at least once. It's just big and burlier than any other NE mountain...but go in March and April because it's cold as hell up there from Dec thru Feb!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Angus said:

Saddleback is a tough situation. The Berry family invests a ton a personal $$ with the best of intentions. The place is bleeding red I suspect and they don't want to invest anymore and then folks bash them. The mountain has outstanding terrain and great snow. I spent a day there a few years back with all the upper mountain lifts on windhold and just skied the T-bar and had a blast. The real problem is Sugarloaf. Sugarloaf is such a magnet, rightly or wrongly. The funny thing is that Rangeley is a true 4 season resort town with the lakes and mountain. The locals really liked Saddleback but they are day visitors and bring their lunches. For the mid-coasters, Sugarloaf is closer too. Really would love to see Saddleback reopen and be able to provide an alternative to Sugarloaf which I've been skiing sporadically since early 80's. & btw: any serious NE skier needs to go to the Loaf at least once. It's just big and burlier than any other NE mountain...but go in March and April because it's cold as hell up there from Dec thru Feb!

Not sure that 10-15 minutes is a big factor, or at least not as much as the far greater variety of restaurants and nightlife in the Sugarloaf area.

4 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

You know, I really wish Saddleback Ski area hadn't closed. It is pretty far from any "town" and it's all dirt road. The Mtn itself has a nice lodge, and of course condos. However, there is nothing really for families unless they load everyone in the vehicle and had back down the long dirt road to "town" and even then there isn't much to do. If you're an adult, you can go pub hopping. 

But the Mtn offered great scenery and skiing. I think all the money is in attracting families which Saddleback has no real appeal.

Saddleback is a ways up there, but I think the perception that it's hard to get to is a bit exaggerated. The access to the ski area has been paved for at at least 10 years, since shortly after the Berrys purchased it.  It is no more difficult to get to than the 'loaf.  Obviously there is much more to do at the base of SL. If anyone buys Saddleback, one of the priorities certainly needs to be establishing more of a diverse base area with at least a hotel and a real restaurant. But I don't have high hopes. Tremendously sad to lose it. Skiing there was a special experience.

1 hour ago, uncletim said:

Saddleback is a ways up there, but I think the perception that it's hard to get to is a bit exaggerated. The access to the ski area has been paved for at at least 10 years, since shortly after the Berrys purchased it.  It is no more difficult to get to than the 'loaf.  Obviously there is much more to do at the base of SL. If anyone buys Saddleback, one of the priorities certainly needs to be establishing more of a diverse base area with at least a hotel and a real restaurant. But I don't have high hopes. Tremendously sad to lose it. Skiing there was a special experience.

Actually, the route to the ski area from Rangely is not paved, it's maintained dirt and it's a bit of a drive down winding dirt roads...Rangely is a beautiful area. I wish I could lI've there. If a big name does buy it, they are going ton develop the area, but I wouldn't want that for that area...it would ruin some of it

4 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Actually, the route to the ski area from Rangely is not paved, it's maintained dirt and it's a bit of a drive down winding dirt roads...Rangely is a beautiful area. I wish I could lI've there. If a big name does buy it, they are going ton develop the area, but I wouldn't want that for that area...it would ruin some of it

I'm certainly not intending to be disagreeable here, but I do live in Rangeley in the summer and have been up and down the Saddleback road many times. It is paved up to the point within a few hundred yards of the base lodge where parking starts. Don't want to do a silly online argument, so that's my last word on it.

I would not be in favor of any huge development at Saddleback, but I do feel it needs more buildup to obtain critical mass so that the value of the operation remains even if an individual ownership is not turning sufficient profit. It seems these days that the larger areas change ownership groups from time to time, but there is never a question whether they will operate. Saddleback needs to have enough inherent value to reach that status. But I agree, it's a tricky balance.

Have awesome memories of Saddleback from high school trips in the late 80's-early 90's.  Beautiful area with nice skiing terrain and relatively reliable snowpack.  Nostalgia is cool, but I don't think having a primary lift installed in 1963 is not sufficient in the 2010's.  I remember it being slow and long lines even back then.

Mammmoth

30°

TODAY

Snow. High near 30. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind around 70 mph, with gusts as high as 105 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

24°

TONIGHT

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 35 by 5am. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 65 to 70 mph, with gusts as high as 105 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

35°

TUESDAY

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 75 to 80 mph, with gusts as high as 120 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.

28°

TUESDAY NIGHT

Snow before 10pm, then rain and snow. Low around 28. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 55 to 60 mph, with gusts as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

33°

WEDNESDAY

A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Very windy, with a southwest wind 40 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

32°

WEDNESDAY NIGHT

Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Very windy.

40°

THURSDAY

A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

28°

THURSDAY NIGHT

Snow. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Very windy.

nordic skied at Waterville Valley yesterday. They have 100% of their trail network open and the trail conditions were better than I expected. I would say they have between 12 -24" of natural snow in the woods - pretty bomb proof. Although this was my second time there, it really was first time I had opportunity to explore the full trail network. I was impressed but I seemed to always be climbing which given my fitness was tough! Friend sent me pictures of BrettonWoods and said they had a great day on their nordic network too.

1 hour ago, radarman said:

huck that carcass

not really my kind of fun but definitely impressive... the snow and the courage.  

It didn't look like one of those soft powder landings you see in a Warren Miller film from out west. It looked like a landing in 18" of powder supported by a nice, thick east coast crust lol. 

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Wow...heading north thursday night - hope the thaw/freeze doesn't destroy Mansfield.  Nervous...

I think you'll be ok.  The black line is this year, the orange is average.  The depth at the stake is currently 80".  The skiers here say the woods are open when it hits 40" .  If all that melts tomorrow, the roads would be liquid asphalt and you wouldn't be able to drive up anyway.

Snow Depth.JPG

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I think you'll be ok.  The black line is this year, the orange is average.  The depth at the stake is currently 80".  The skiers here say the woods are open when it hits 40" .  If all that melts tomorrow, the roads would be liquid asphalt and you wouldn't be able to drive up anyway.

Snow Depth.JPG

Thanks.  More worried about the glaze than a sudden nuclear explosion that melts all the snow!

Two years ago in, during that killer winter, we drove up to stowe after a warm up - everything was luge tracks everywhere....literally the only three days you could have chosen that wouldn't let you ski wherever you wanted to.....

Holy sh*t... Jackson Hole closed for up to a week due to wind storm last night.  Social media was reporting miles of power poles were snapped or something like that.

MOUNTAIN UPDATE

Wednesday, February 8th. 10:40 AM UPDATE 

Due to a massive wind storm last night, a significant number of power poles along Highway 390 were blown down, causing Teton Village to lose power. This power outage is being addressed by Lower Valley Energy, but the significance of this damage will be impacting Teton Village for up to seven days. Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (JHMR) will not be operating until further notice. All events scheduled for this week and weekend will be canceled, specifically Skijoring and Special Olympics. 

Safety is the first concern for JHMR visitors and staff, and JHMR is asking for only specific operational staff come to Teton Village today and request that no unnecessary travel to Teton Village is in effect until further notice. With another weather system coming into the area tonight, there is a winter storm watch in effect for the higher elevations. Warming temperatures could result in possible flooding in the valley, making conditions challenging for many reasons. JHMR is seriously enforcing no uphill travel this week and asks everyone to stay off the mountain. JHMR will be issuing refunds for all visitors, but at this time, we do not have a location to process those refunds. Updates on operations and incident information will be updated as they come in on this page. 

Teton Village Fire Department will be providing emergency services throughout this incident, and will be updating hotels and businesses as information comes in. The Jackson Hole Chamber of Commerce and Jackson Hole Central Reservation will be assisting with lodging and travel options for displaced guests.

Probably driving up to ski Mt. Snow or Stratton Monday and Tuesday, but might postpone until Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'd prefer Monday/Tues, leaving early Monday morning.  I'm thinking the roads should be fine most of the way as the precip for the 91 corridor should have wound down by dawn on Monday, but concerned about residual travel issues, and also that high winds may lead to prolonged wind holds on Monday.

Any advice?  Thanks!

On 2/2/2017 at 2:54 PM, Angus said:

Back in the 90s we always went to the Reggae Fest at The Loaf in early April. Haven't been there in over a 15yrs. Big and Burly is a good way to put it. Excellent terrain at the Loaf. We always made it a 4 day weekend.   

10 hours ago, sankaty said:

Probably driving up to ski Mt. Snow or Stratton Monday and Tuesday, but might postpone until Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'd prefer Monday/Tues, leaving early Monday morning.  I'm thinking the roads should be fine most of the way as the precip for the 91 corridor should have wound down by dawn on Monday, but concerned about residual travel issues, and also that high winds may lead to prolonged wind holds on Monday.

Any advice?  Thanks!

Berkshire East saves you a pretty significant amt of driving and is fun on a powder day.  Location allows you for a game-time decision based on snowfall/roads/etc.  They should generally do better in a wind hold situation vs. Stratton or Mt. Snow too.

Nordic skied (skate) at Great Brook state Park yesterday. Very busy day with parking lot full from morning to close but trails didn't seem crowded. Only there 5th day open this season. Earlier in day had been out behind Walden Pond and again coverage and tracks (classic) were very good. Today/tomorrows snow will be good if we do go into a warm up next week. 

Archived