Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

44 minutes ago, WeatherNurse said:

A good friend of mine lives in Mammoth.  Her social media feeds are awe inspiring, terrifying, and fill me with regret that I booked my trip to JH this years and not Mammoth (I leave in 2 days, not complaining!!)  Not only absurd, but downright dangerous.  They had to close the front entrance to the only grocery store in town (see photo of cornice below) People are literally stranded in their homes because there is no place left to go with the snow, cars are buried and the plows can't keep up.  At this point, it's nuisance snow.  

16143865_1196935197022855_2543470642956700676_o.jpg

Holy crap, that's insane, but it's everything I've ever wanted to experience. I would love to follow your friend on social media so I can see all the pictures!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WeatherNurse said:

A good friend of mine lives in Mammoth.  Her social media feeds are awe inspiring, terrifying, and fill me with regret that I booked my trip to JH this years and not Mammoth (I leave in 2 days, not complaining!!)  Not only absurd, but downright dangerous.  They had to close the front entrance to the only grocery store in town (see photo of cornice below) People are literally stranded in their homes because there is no place left to go with the snow, cars are buried and the plows can't keep up.  At this point, it's nuisance snow.  

Crazy. Honestly, as awesome as it has been following these systems, I don't think I'd actually want to be there right now. All the mountain towns are crippled  and many of the resorts aren't running anywhere near 100%. Considering the amount of snow Jackson Hole has to-date, I think it'll be a pretty nice consolation prize. ;)

6 minutes ago, masomenos said:

Crazy. Honestly, as awesome as it has been following these systems, I don't think I'd actually want to be there right now. All the mountain towns are crippled  and many of the resorts aren't running anywhere near 100%. Considering the amount of snow Jackson Hole has to-date, I think it'll be a pretty nice consolation prize. ;)

The resorts will prob be running at close to full capacity within 2-3 days. They are gonna get a nice little break over the next week...I bet the skiing there is gonna be crazy awesome this weekend.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

The resorts will prob be running at close to full capacity within 2-3 days. They are gonna get a nice little break over the next week...I bet the skiing there is gonna be crazy awesome this weekend.

For sure, but has to be kind of maddening for anybody that's stuck there right now. All that snow and nothing to do and nowhere to go. :lol:

And how do you even ride 8'-10' of fresh snow?? Especially since the stuff they got hit with this past week wasn't their typical sierra cement. You definitely have to stick to the steep trails/bowls and maintain good speed or you're ****ed!

Anyone have good data on how the Vermont mountains did during this storm? I know Stratton was reporting 5" but it appears to have been some sort of ice mix all day there today as the trees had some serious bend on the web cam late this afternoon. Hopping it flips tonall

snow again and they can grab a few more inches before this thing finally ends 

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Tragic.  A Squaw Valley ski patroller was killed today during avalanche mitigation work.  This stuff's the real deal.

yes they closed the entire mt and diverted the crowd to Alpine.  Their website did have a blurb that they did not think he was killed in an actual avalanche however.  Very sad story regardless.

edit: go fund me site was set up for him

https://www.gofundme.com/squaw-patrol-funeral-fund

Hey PF-

I'm heading up to Stowe today. Making the drive from DC.. How's the upslope event looking from your vantage point? This thing got legs or what? I saw NWS downgraded slightly on totals from two updates ago. What do you think? I was hoping for that magical "oh crap, we were suppose to get 6-8 but got 10-12 instead!"

I'm looking forward to some piecasso in my life

-Jon

1 hour ago, PivotPoint said:

Hey PF-

I'm heading up to Stowe today. Making the drive from DC.. How's the upslope event looking from your vantage point? This thing got legs or what? I saw NWS downgraded slightly on totals from two updates ago. What do you think? I was hoping for that magical "oh crap, we were suppose to get 6-8 but got 10-12 instead!"

-Jon

Check out the NNE thread--PF and others have more details on Upslope/snow in that thread..

He just posted this about 30 mins ago:

Wow what a day.  Last night's storm was sweet with that QPF heavy snow.

3,000ft turned out to be 6" since cleaned yesterday afternoon for a total of 8" in 24 hours.

Some phenomenal skiing out there today.  Winter stoke was high in Stowe today.

3 hours ago, PivotPoint said:

Hey PF-

-Jon

I wouldn't expect those totals tonight...I think 3-5" tonight would be about right.  This "event" was always like a 72 hour deal but last night's snow was a good start...with bits and pieces coming instead of one big 12 hour bomb.  Another 2-4" possible tomorrow night and Sunday.

6 hours ago, eyewall said:

Screwed by wind hold at Smuggs today. Sterling has a huge line with the lift running slower than normal.

Bummer.  I was thinking we might have holds this morning but everything ran as scheduled all day.  The FourRunner Quad is a horse, knock on wood we have yet to have a wind hold on that lift this season.

Skiing was sick.

16299561_10102842641450610_5986383618287

16402627_10102842642179150_4868881089319

16402996_10102842641505500_3495295971767

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I wouldn't expect those totals tonight...I think 3-5" tonight would be about right.  This "event" was always like a 72 hour deal but last night's snow was a good start...with bits and pieces coming instead of one big 12 hour bomb.  Another 2-4" possible tomorrow night and Sunday.

Thanks PF... You the man!!

-Jon

Archived