Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, zeepowderhunter said:

Silverton?

12 hours ago, Angus said:

Wolf Creek?

Telluride and Crested Butte are big name places that rarely have long lines too, even on weekends (I encountered maybe a max line of 5 minutes at Telluride last January on a Saturday amidst epic conditions...the weekdays were almost nada)...mostly because they aren't near major interstates....and believe it or not, I've heard Aspen is actually pretty good for avoiding big lines despite the big name appeal. It's not as reliable as the others, but still far enough off the beaten path and crowds spread over 4 resorts that it has a good reputation for lack of lift lines.

2 hours ago, amarshall said:

Bretton Woods did an amazing job grooming and blowing snow during the sh1t show weekend.  Yesterday was soft and fun.  Not much ice.   If you went 6" off the groomed trails you were in trouble.

4 weeks until Brighton/Solitude.  Hopefully the train continues.

LOL, should have stayed home. Jay Peak was a sheet of ice. Good to hear though. 

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Becoming almost a daily thing these days...but another epic pounding between now and next Monday for the Sierras.

http://www.rideboreal.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain

They could get another 6 feet of snow between now and then. 1-2 feet tonight.

borealmtn.png

I mean, they're really being a bit piggish at this point.  Leave some for the rest of us.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice pics PF...I love when the trees are all plastered.

Thanks, definitely one of the more photogenic snowfalls of the season.  Every little twig has like several inches on it.

I'm starting to think if we get a windy day we might pick up a fresh 1-2" on the trails and glades just from all the snow sitting in the trees, lol.  That stuff has to go somewhere when it eventually blows off.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:25 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Becoming almost a daily thing these days...but another epic pounding between now and next Monday for the Sierras.

They could get another 6 feet of snow between now and then. 1-2 feet tonight.

For months and months I have been planning to ski at Crystal Mt next week, but finally just threw in the towel and flying to RNO instead. 

7 minutes ago, radarman said:

For months and months I have been planning to ski at Crystal Mt next week, but finally just threw in the towel and flying to RNO instead. 

Lol...I think Crystal would have been pretty darn good...looks like some coldish powder there over the next 5 days, but can't blame you for going where the epicness has occurred. Tahoe's snow is actually going to be pretty powdery during this current stretch. Cold thicknesses for that region. You're gonna see some awesome snow pack too. Alpine already over 200 inches on the month. They have a shot at the monthly record ( I think the record is around 240-250 inches...which they will probably exceed by Monday/Tuesday next week)

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

oh poor you

was not trying to elicit sympathy there :)

Crystal was advertising corduroy and had the wording in their snow report for the last 2 weeks "the cold early season snows did not bond well to the rocks".  Disconcerting, particularly with heavy winds and rain earlier this week...  5" of heavy stuff up high the last 48 hours helps the surfaces certainly but cold, disorganized snow showers as the jet shifts way south yet again aren't going to open up a lot of terrain.  On the whole it has been a mediocre at best Jan N of the OR border and S of Whistler. So we'll have to make a special trip back out to the Cascades another time.  oh well ;)

55 minutes ago, radarman said:

Crystal was advertising corduroy and had the wording in their snow report for the last 2 weeks "the cold early season snows did not bond well to the rocks".  Disconcerting, particularly with heavy winds and rain earlier this week...  5" of heavy stuff up high the last 48 hours helps the surfaces certainly but cold, disorganized snow showers as the jet shifts way south yet again aren't going to open up a lot of terrain.  On the whole it has been a mediocre at best Jan N of the OR border and S of Whistler. So we'll have to make a special trip back out to the Cascades another time.  oh well ;)

I am sure after the first face shot all will be forgotten. Have fun stay safe you beast. Try not to get lost, hey no worries about branches impaling you.

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Yeah they have not gotten a lot of snow up there.  Post lots of pics.  Enjoy!

a quick session at WaWa this evening, first night of season. It wasn't too busy. Haven't been there since before XMAS. A few bare spots from water seeping up but the pack is pretty deep. The few inches from Tuesday-Wednesday was soft and wet and made for fun skiing. There is a few inches of natural in the woods. they have a couple of bump lines setup off a summit trail but they are not well spaced...too far apart, and were not particularly fun to ski.

Archived