Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Haha, compared to some of those other pictures, it looks like they got the relative shaft.   

Tahoe Vista is pretty much right on the lake...so they would be expected to have less than some of the resorts and also places at similar elevation but closer to the spine or on the west side.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Tahoe Vista is pretty much right on the lake...so they would be expected to have less than some of the resorts and also places at similar elevation but closer to the spine or on the west side.

Yeah, I figured it must be at a lower elevation. I was just thinking of the whining that would go on here if three feet fell in the CRV but others got five feet. Some weenies are never satisfied. 

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

Yeah, I figured it must be at a lower elevation. I was just thinking of the whining that would go on here if three feet fell in the CRV but others got five feet. Some weenies are never satisfied. 

CRV or CPV?

That is an interesting dynamic.  You know if there was widespread 5 feet and then an area got 3 feet there would be disappointment.  So funny how that works.  Some posters would whine their way to 40" ;).

Just now, powderfreak said:

CRV or CPV?

That is an interesting dynamic.  You know if there was widespread 5 feet and then an area got 3 feet there would be disappointment.  So funny how that works.  Some posters would whine their way to 40" ;).

That is exactly the dynamic I was thinking of. As for CPV or CRV, I'm pretty sure Eyewall would take his three feet any day and be happy!  

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That is exactly the dynamic I was thinking of. As for CPV or CRV, I'm pretty sure Eyewall would take his three feet any day and be happy!  

I'm just ribbing, it has been a much different winter in the CPV.  Hopefully he can get a big snow soon.  Its tough in BTV-land sometimes when you know winter can be so close by.  Sadly that's one of the primary reasons I moved out of the area...that and the commute.  BTV is best in the late spring through fall (though mid-summer gets hot there with southerly flow not allowing any overnight cooling at times).  But for me I got tired of driving to snow every day at work, then driving home and seeing good snow until J.Spin's house and then watching it drop off a cliff until I'm driving through Williston on 89 with bare ground showing.

I'm just ribbing, it has been a much different winter in the CPV.  Hopefully he can get a big snow soon.  Its tough in BTV-land sometimes when you know winter can be so close by.  Sadly that's one of the primary reasons I moved out of the area...that and the commute.  BTV is best in the late spring through fall (though mid-summer gets hot there with southerly flow not allowing any overnight cooling at times).  But for me I got tired of driving to snow every day at work, then driving home and seeing good snow until J.Spin's house and then watching it drop off a cliff until I'm driving through Williston on 89 with bare ground showing.

Good post and i fully understand that even in a normal year we rarely touch what you guys experience in "real VT". This has gone beyond that in terms of futility now though which is why I have been so negative. I know that 700+ days since a warning snow here is just ridiculous and now we are facing this horror show for the remainder of the month.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Good post and i fully understand that even in a normal year we rarely touch what you guys experience in "real VT". This has gone beyond that in terms of futility now though which is why I have been so negative. I know that 700+ days since a warning snow here is just ridiculous and now we are facing this horror show for the remainder of the month.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

About as bad stretch for the real "interior" as I have ever seen, killing the snowmobile towns of ENY and Southern VT

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

MRG closed down 

Oh Noes!  A one day shut down.  The humanity!

As forecasts predicted, the weather situation took a turn for the warmer and wetter overnight. In an effort to preserve our snow pack and skiing surfaces we have suspended operations for the day and will re-open on Friday

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

MRG closed down 

We will see if they can re-open fully in February. They lost a ton of money last season without question. I think they operated on about 40 days last year and most of those were iffy at best. 

Squaw is open again, reporting 14' this month, however they have opened extremely limited terrain... Lower mountain stuff, but not committing to KT-22.  Upper mountain has a ways to go yet.  Also the pack is settling according to the avalanche reports.  Deep slabs are becoming less and less likely.

19 minutes ago, radarman said:

Squaw is open again, reporting 14' this month, however they have opened extremely limited terrain... Lower mountain stuff, but not committing to KT-22.  Upper mountain has a ways to go yet.  Also the pack is settling according to the avalanche reports.  Deep slabs are becoming less and less likely.

looking at the Mammoth cams, geez still dumping

1484236048450.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

looking at the Mammoth cams, geez still dumping

Check out the boreal cam near donner pass....they did a great job digging out the lift in that webcam...it was buried yesterday.

Man, what a week...6-12 of powder to top it off today.

http://www.rideboreal.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain

11 minutes ago, masomenos said:

Not quite as impressive as the stuff going on in California, but the amount of snow in the mid/lower elevations of Oregon has to be bordering on historic.

http://www.mthood.info/cameras/mt-hood-webCam-snowbunny.html

You'd figure that sign is at least a good 20-25 ft.

Crested Butte in Colorado....they've been getting smoked too:

011117_colorado_snow_002.jpg

011117_colorado_snow_012.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, ORH_wxman said:

2000-2001 was pretty slow too in January...monster Feb and Mar. Same exact thing down in ORH...still the biggest snow depth I've ever seen in person at home was March 2001...one of those patterns where ORH was more like NNE and the cutoff was more like from Ray to Kevin...SE of there kind of got the shaft (not horrendous, but not very good either).

Jan 2001 was meh here, though the 11" on 12/30-31 made for an okay snowpack.  Winter really began with the 17" on 2//5-6, then Farmington's snowiest March (58.3", #4 for any month in their 123 yr record.)  My 55.5" was capped by 19" on 3/30-31, bringing the depth to 48", but the mountains did better the week before.  While my place got 16" of tree-breaking paste, Eustis recorded 34.5" and our log job site on Redington (about 5 miles SW from Sugarloaf summit) at well over 2,000' probably had over 40".  Fortunately, the final load of wood was hauled out just as the +SN arrived on the 22nd.  Too bad there's no consistent snowfall record for the 'Loaf - might've been 60" up there (and again, in Feb. 2010, possibly April 2007 as well.)

13 minutes ago, masomenos said:

Not quite as impressive as the stuff going on in California, but the amount of snow in the mid/lower elevations of Oregon has to be bordering on historic.

http://www.mthood.info/cameras/mt-hood-webCam-snowbunny.html

You'd figure that sign is at least a good 20-25 ft.

They are gonna keep getting dumped on too next week. That big trough moving in is gonna crush them.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mammoth is still dumping

I've been watching the boreal mountain webcam today...since they are open now. Nice to see the skiers out there enjoying the storm. Still going solid. Not the 200 foot visibility we saw previously, but it looks like nice fluffy dendrites falling. Much colder profile in the atmosphere now with the ULL having moved in:

http://www.rideboreal.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Crested Butte is high up there on my list.

The mountain itself is fairly average for Colorado ski resort snowfall...however that town seems to get absolutely buried. 

I bet they are one of the snowiest ski towns in the state...they are at like 9,000 feet or something ridiculous like that too.  They get snow events from like September through May even down in town.

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mammoth is still dumping

When I get I'm I'll post a link/links to a sweet Storm Account from Mammoth Lakes....which seems to be the center of the epicness for inhabited areas seeing as the town is like 8000ft.

It was cool reading how the rain snow line would toy with town and it would be pouring and then an hour later get 4"/hr and then pouring again...they talked about shoveling the heaviest sludge known to man.  15" in 3 hours type stuff.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Really tough to find a place out west that hasn't been doing well--the amount of moisture we've seen them get hit by is putting last year's super nino to shame.

It's almost easy to forget that just a few months ago many resorts out there were off to one of their worst starts in years.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Crested Butte is high up there on my list.

The mountain itself is fairly average for Colorado ski resort snowfall...however that town seems to get absolutely buried. 

I bet they are one of the snowiest ski towns in the state...they are at like 9,000 feet or something ridiculous like that too.  They get snow events from like September through May even down in town.

Yeah the town is awesome for snow...it's similar to Telluride in that it is nestled in a very high mountain valley (except much wider than the box Canyon of Telluride) but has even a little more elevation and probably a better orographic setup than Telluride. Right to the west of Crested Butte is the wide valley that Grand Junction and Montrose are in and there aren't any monstrous towering walls of mountains immediately to the west to block the moisture. Just moderately high peaks with a lot of passes through them...so I'm sure you can imagine being familiar with the upslope in your hood how it would benefit them to have that setup. Getting a lot more spillover...so on that direction of max upslope, they won't get blocked too much.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

When I get I'm I'll post a link/links to a sweet Storm Account from Mammoth Lakes....which seems to be the center of the epicness for inhabited areas seeing as the town is like 8000ft.

It was cool reading how the rain snow line would toy with town and it would be pouring and then an hour later get 4"/hr and then pouring again...they talked about shoveling the heaviest sludge known to man.  15" in 3 hours type stuff.

Ha, that's awesome...you go from heavy rain to 4" per hour paste...then back and forth...that has to be both awesome and maddening at the same time, though in the end, we know the snow wins out at the elevation.

They showed a picture of a landslide that happened near Donner Pass during the heavy rain at the peak of the warm intrusion during the whole ordeal and you could see like water gushing over cliffs. It had to be absolutely pouring rain. You could see like 10 feet of snow on each side of the waterfall though, lol. Thankfully it changed back to snow relatively fast during the whole storm otherwise it would have been worse.

6 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I could really use a good snowstorm. 

The only thing I hate about looking at western U.S. pics during their epic patterns is that it makes our 1-2 foot snowstorms that we drool over back at home seem so insignificant in comparison.

Archived