Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Area skied: Mount Snow, Vermont

Date skied: November 23rd, 2016 from 9:00am - 12:00pm.

Weather: Sun/clouds early, then mostly sunny. Temp 23F at 9m - 32F at 12:00pm

Surface conditions: machine made, variable, packed powder

Day 1 is in the books as I skied at Mount Snow yesterday with my son and used our passes for the first time for the season. The mountain had the standard fare opened for Thanksgiving, with 2 top to bottom runs, Long John and Cascade/Canyon. Surface conditions varied from packed powder to ice cookies. Cascade had the most consistent snow surfaces with mostly packed powder, Canyon had stretches of ice cookies and alternating with packed powder. Long John was the reverse with the best snow closer to the base area.

Mount Snow:

Mt_Snow.jpg

Long John:

Long_John.jpg

Cascade:

Cascade.jpg

Lower Cascade:

Cascade2.jpg

Opening day at Wachusett was damp with some technical glitches.  Their mid mountain lift experienced some power issues so they had to move the opening ceremony thing over to the beginner lift.     It was drizzling/raining but the snow was actually fun.  We only stayed for a little while and headed home.

The new RFID lift gates worked ok. Our daughter had to move her pass a bit higher in her coat for it to sense it since she is short.   They got the other lift going after we left.

action shots are rather lackluster

IMG_5255.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

I skied Smuggs yesterday for opening day and it was a blast in terms of early season skiing. They only had a few trails open on the Sterling side as is typical when they start out for the year. We were in the first line of chairs and they welcomed everyone at the top and handed out some giveaways. I skied 11 top to bottom runs and it felt great to be out there again! 

4 hours ago, eyewall said:

I skied Smuggs yesterday for opening day and it was a blast in terms of early season skiing. They only had a few trails open on the Sterling side as is typical when they start out for the year. We were in the first line of chairs and they welcomed everyone at the top and handed out some giveaways. I skied 11 top to bottom runs and it felt great to be out there again! 

Nice man...isn't the time up there wild?

Edit Rime, haha.

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Fog city

Yeah, I'm watching it now, the fog is just like it's been here all day. My son and I were in Rutland last night and the drive back past Killington was difficult to say the least. Anyway, great advertising for Killington.  Some of the shots they are showing coming in and out of commercials look like they were shot a day or two ago. 

Yeah, I'm watching it now, the fog is just like it's been here all day. My son and I were in Rutland last night and the drive back past Killington was difficult to say the least. Anyway, great advertising for Killington.  Some of the shots they are showing coming in and out of commercials look like they were shot a day or two ago. 

I just commented to my wife that many of the skiers look like models

The camera crew captured some pretty stunning shots of the mountain the last few days. Certainly not the most impressive course in terms of difficulty, but props to the Killington crew and mother nature for making the northeast appear capable of being a November ski destination. All that rime that had the opportunity to build up the last week gave the mountain a true mid-winter look.

9 hours ago, Quakertown needs snow said:

love having the world cup live stream, no commentary / raw makes it very live. shiffrin killed it on 1st run.

Yeah, it’s been great to see the skiing and the huge crowds, so nice to have someone from Burke Mountain Academy take home a World Cup victory at an event in the Northeast.

I was also thinking how great it was that the weather and scenery were appropriately wintry for the event, but during the Thanksgiving period at the end of November, I guess it should be that way more often than not.  If we run greater than 50% white Thanksgivings here in the valley, then Killington from 2,000’ on up should definitely have a decent shot at some natural snow on the ground.

27 minutes ago, alex said:

Skied Cannon and Bretton Woods today. Cannon was an icy mess; it's like the groomers flattened it into a sheet overnight. Bretton Woods was great (and got a little more snow overnight. They both reported an inch but Cannon seemed more 0.5 and BW more like 2)

I've found Cannon to be icy a lot if there hasn't been a decent amount of natural snow in the week leading up to skiing. Not surprised that this early in the season they'd be icy. That mountain is really exposed to the wind and it gets scoured to ice pretty easily. 

But it's one of my favorite mountains in all of New England when there is ample snow. It also runs well in spring on hero snow. 

Our son rode at Wachusett this evening. He said it iced up pretty badly. The one trail from the summit  (Conifer) they had open was pretty narrow in spots.  Looks like they are making snow tonight, but the rains look fugly this week.   They will close after Monday until possibly next weekend.

great job by K Mart on the WC.   They pulled it off and looked great doing so.

Archived