Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, j24vt said:

Sounds like Killington has made enough snow to hold the WC race (according to a friend who is very involved with the race).

Good for them.  Hopefully they avoid heavy rain with the next 2 storms and they should get more snow making opportunities next week.  The racers might actually like the rain.  Should firm things up nicely!  

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Stowe moved the opening day from Saturday to Wednesday 11/23.  

Its the bottom 300 vertical feet that just doesn't have the depth.  Top 1700 vertical feet is good to go.  The challenge of opening top to bottom is the base is usually the wildcard.  

Should be pretty good snow making weather after the deep ULL moves through this weekend. Might get some natural snow too. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Should be pretty good snow making weather after the deep ULL moves through this weekend. Might get some natural snow too. 

Yeah that's why we picked Wednesday...we literally just need like one more 12-18 hour run in the base area with snowmaking and it's good to go.  I think we should be able to get it Monday into Tuesday.

12z ECM was definitely a little slower with the trough/cold though, more like Tuesday-Thurs instead of Monday-Wednesday like the GFS/GGEM.

On 11/14/2016 at 10:12 PM, j24vt said:

Sounds like Killington has made enough snow to hold the WC race (according to a friend who is very involved with the race).

There was a video posted on FB showing them grooming a significant amount of snow on the course.  Looks pretty solid.

It's good that the plains storm is so far west. It makes for mostly dry weather in the warm sector. With good snow making chances behind the storm plus perhaps some upslope, Killington should be able to pull this off for sure. Even give themselves some wiggle room if the Tday potential turns warm. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's good that the plains storm is so far west. It makes for mostly dry weather in the warm sector. With good snow making chances behind the storm plus perhaps some upslope, Killington should be able to pull this off for sure. Even give themselves some wiggle room if the Tday potential turns warm. 

The timing differences between the GFS and EURO (as well as the amount of cold) between the snowmaking windows is driving me nuts haha.  GFS says we are online by Sunday afternoon...EURO says like Tuesday morning.

I had a dream last night that I met PF at the picnic tables where I was having a sandwich with my classmates, because apparently I was 10 or something but I wasn't actually, and then someone tried to kill me on the ski lifts because they have to kill one person in every group (TWD anyone?) and then PF and I went skiing towards a polar bear because it was going to eat a radioactive stick and it would die, except PF didn't actually have skis and he was complaining about that, and then we got to the bottom of the mountain and everyone was questioning why Hillary Clinton was still at the top of the mountain inside a control station and they thought that was shady.

1 hour ago, JC-CT said:

I had a dream last night that I met PF at the picnic tables where I was having a sandwich with my classmates, because apparently I was 10 or something but I wasn't actually, and then someone tried to kill me on the ski lifts because they have to kill one person in every group (TWD anyone?) and then PF and I went skiing towards a polar bear because it was going to eat a radioactive stick and it would die, except PF didn't actually have skis and he was complaining about that, and then we got to the bottom of the mountain and everyone was questioning why Hillary Clinton was still at the top of the mountain inside a control station and they thought that was shady.

Were you one of the writers for Lost?

3 hours ago, JC-CT said:

Shrooms, you been partying with Tip?

4 hours ago, JC-CT said:

This is epic haha.  

Archived