Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

They will remain open.  The dry air is great for preservation.  

12,000 feet and a rapidly decreasing sun angle helps a lot too. Their preservation in November is prob better than it is in late February and March, lol. Only difference is by the time you get to March they have already had like 20-30 feet of snow.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I read that they plan to open on Tuesday

Yeah I'm on their email list and got a notice they are opening Tuesday. Wednesday for non-season pass holders. 

They should be able to make a decent amount of snow this week. Good airmass incoming with that reinforcing shot of cold air. 

25 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

Since 1987 Killington has opened 16 times on October 25th or earlier.  3 times in that period they opened on October 1st which is their earliest opening date.  Last year they opened October 18th.  So this is actually a fairly average opening date for them.

I wonder how accurate this list is?

http://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/37/some-killington-history

I had no idea they had so many early October openings. With all the warm falls we've had the last 20 years an October 1st opening seems like the stuff of legend. haha

9 hours ago, masomenos said:

I wonder how accurate this list is?

http://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/37/some-killington-history

I had no idea they had so many early October openings. With all the warm falls we've had the last 20 years an October 1st opening seems like the stuff of legend. haha

We had a pretty crazy run of very cold septembers and early Octobers in the late 80s and early 90s. 

October recently has actually been pretty cold minus the last 3-4 years but septembers have been a furnace. 

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'm on their email list and got a notice they are opening Tuesday. Wednesday for non-season pass holders. 

They should be able to make a decent amount of snow this week. Good airmass incoming with that reinforcing shot of cold air. 

Yeah we never make snow prior to November 1st but are leaning towards blasting away from 3000ft on up.  It's not much but if we can bury the upper loop and hold it (remember there's a dense high QPF 10-11" on the ground too) then it'll free up say 30 snow guns for when we need them down low in November.

I think if we put it down this week it'll hold with the natural base on the bottom too, at least 3000ft up (elevation that Killington opens at is like 3-4kft too) should hold.  That high east side doesn't get a ton of sun either.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah we never make snow prior to November 1st but are leaning towards blasting away from 3000ft on up.  It's not much but if we can bury the upper loop and hold it (remember there's a dense high QPF 10-11" on the ground too) then it'll free up say 30 snow guns for when we need them down low in November.

I think if we put it down this week it'll hold with the natural base on the bottom too, at least 3000ft up (elevation that Killington opens at is like 3-4kft too) should hold.  That high east side doesn't get a ton of sun either.

It doesn't look torchy either which is good. There's signs of moderation in early November but there's no obvious furnace signal. So if it stays near normal before the next cold shot, then you definitely ended up getting a leg up on the season. I haven't looked closely but i assume you are going to get more natural snow this week too from upslope. Hopefully Thursday night puts down some too though that is more uncertain. 

5 minutes ago, eyewall said:

This one caught my eye for Killington!

1996/1997 October 4 – June 22 / 233

Yeah 1997 was absurd.  That was the year the Mansfield Stake had 48" on May 31st.  Really wrap your head around that.  We couldn't get above 38" all last year but 5/31/97 had a 48" depth.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah 1997 was absurd.  That was the year the Mansfield Stake had 48" on May 31st.  Really wrap your head around that.  We couldn't get above 38" all last year but 5/31/97 had a 48" depth.

That is nuts for sure. I remember going up Bolton in mid May of 2015 and still encountering 2-3 ft. at the top.

3 minutes ago, eyewall said:

That is nuts for sure. I remember going up Bolton in mid May of 2015 and still encountering 2-3 ft. at the top.

2015 had that good late season event in April...I went up to Jay Peak and found about 10-12" new on April 26th and up in their glades past 3000 feet they had at least 4-5 feet still OTG...so not surprising that still in mid-May there would be some good snow. It got warm quickly though that month so unlike a year like 1997, it all released very fast once it hit that point. May of 1997 was not only very cold, it actually had some big snow events in the mountains...some places probably were adding a net snowpack pretty far into the month.

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It doesn't look torchy either which is good. There's signs of moderation in early November but there's no obvious furnace signal. So if it stays near normal before the next cold shot, then you definitely ended up getting a leg up on the season. I haven't looked closely but i assume you are going to get more natural snow this week too from upslope. Hopefully Thursday night puts down some too though that is more uncertain. 

Yeah this week looks like a couple more inches in upslope...the EURO actually has up to half an inch of QPF over a 36 hour period so the summits may stack up a bit more.

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I believe it. Mt. Washington got something like 96" of snow in MAY alone! We had to postpone our annual Tuck's ski weekend (we pushed it to Memorial Day weekend b/c of all the snow) and it was still high/extreme avalanche danger, so we skied July 4th instead.

Archived