Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

Hey powderfreak, any update or photos of the Stone Hut reconstruction project?

Yup I was up looking at it a few days ago, it's coming along.  They sandblasted all the stone to remove the black soot and are now starting work on the interior.  Post and beam interior like the old one.

14233053_10102651563227900_8918020617189

14192538_10102651565478390_4826811666022

38 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wonder if some areas take advantage of this weekends cooler weather to blow the mice out of snowmaking systems

Stowe of course, does this in July...

I heard that in certain parts of W. Chesterfield, MA they never really have enough of an off season for mice to take up residence.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's been years it seems since I've seen a good storm like that at home.  

Well, if a place like Lake Louise can pull it off, Stowe should eventually be able to deliver in spades if we ever return to a state of normalcy – annual snowfall at Stowe is more than double what it is at Lake Louise using the usual reported numbers.  However, I’d expect that Lake Louise would win with respect to monthly snowfall numbers in the warmer months of May through September/October.  The problem with snowfall out there doesn’t appear to be the temperatures of course, it’s getting enough moisture past the Continental Divide.  They’re lucky they have phenomenal snow preservation when they’re reporting annual snowfall numbers less than what I observe here at the bottom of a valley in the Northern Greens.

48 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Well, if a place like Lake Louise can pull it off, Stowe should eventually be able to deliver in spades if we ever return to a state of normalcy – annual snowfall at Stowe is more than double what it is at Lake Louise using the usual reported numbers.  However, I’d expect that Lake Louise would win with respect to monthly snowfall numbers in the warmer months of May through September/October.  The problem with snowfall out doesn’t appear to be the temperatures of course, it’s getting enough moisture past the Continental Divide.  They’re lucky they have phenomenal snow preservation when they’re reporting annual snowfall numbers less than what I observe here at the bottom of a valley in the Northern Greens.

At that latitude, having the ski area between 5500 and 8500 feet is gonna make for crazy preservation.

46 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

I used to say I'd buy it if I lived out west...but it looks like they've added several New England resorts this year. That's a pretty good deal if you can get out 20-25 times (that would make under 30 bucks per trip)...it's nice there's no blackout dates.

The WaWa addition is really nice actually for SNEers...you can burn 5 of those on days where you want to get out but just don't have the time or wherewithal to go up north.

57 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Buddy at work was talking about that. That's pretty sweet. 

I'm thinking about taking my son and seeing if he will be up to learning how to ski. He'll be 4 in December. I don't know if it's too young, but I heard from many people that those day ski camps are fun for kids. Has anyone done these before? I think at some resorts you need to be at least 7. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm thinking about taking my son and seeing if he will be up to learning how to ski. He'll be 4 in December. I don't know if it's too young, but I heard from many people that those day ski camps are fun for kids. Has anyone done these before? I think at some resorts you need to be at least 7. 

Seems most avid ski families around here start them as soon as they possibly can--seems like 2-2.5ys olds and they are up on the hill.

The younger the better...seriously.  I know it's probably different in a ski town but everyone I know starts their kids in the 2-3 year old range on like these plastic skis that the kids just use with their normal snow boots.  I know friends who get their kids on the magic carpet or going down the front lawn as soon as they figure out walking.  

I know JSpin's kids were very good at an early age, he can probably offer some advice.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Did that with both my kids starting at age 3.  Once they're out of diapers they're good to go for ski camp groups.

I've been a ski instructor and taught both my children how to ski. At 4 years of age and assuming you are not a regular weekly skier, I would wait until one of those nice warm, sunny early-mid March days when the snow is plentiful and plan to go up to a ski hill like nashoba, wawa, crotched or maybe gunstock or sunapee and spend the day getting your son excited for skiing. Each kid is so different at that age based upon strength, coordination, enthusiasm, attitude about risk, et cetera - warm days with soft snow eliminates all the other stuff and you can just focus on the skiing. Expect frequent breaks and bring plenty of food and snacks. The first year our daughter skied, she was either 3 or 4, she has an older brother and wanted to keep up. We did a day or two at Crotched in March which worked out great. We then went to stowe the second week of April. Her older brother and I skied and she joined us in the afternoon - one round trip on the gondola and then up the forerunner lift - made it about half-way down Toll Road/Tyro when she just lost interest or tired out...carried her the rest of way! I had been a once a year skier since college until our son wanted to learn when he was 4 or 5, totally rekindled my interest in downhill skiing.

Under 5 years old really the only thing you can teach them is to not like skiing.  Go with only the expectation to have fun.  The second they look tired head to the lodge.  The equipment weighs almost as much as they do.  Only go on perfect days.  Teaching our daughter there were a lot of one run, hot chocolate, head home days.  At that age it is likely that there will be crying at the end of the day no matter what you do.  You want them crying because they are leaving.  

It is all about making it fun.  I remember one day we went up and spent the morning climbing the snow piles in the parking lot.  Did something right because she was skiing Goat at Stowe top to bottom before she learned to ride a bike.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 5:30 PM, powderfreak said:

The younger the better...seriously.  I know it's probably different in a ski town but everyone I know starts their kids in the 2-3 year old range on like these plastic skis that the kids just use with their normal snow boots.  I know friends who get their kids on the magic carpet or going down the front lawn as soon as they figure out walking.  

I know JSpin's kids were very good at an early age, he can probably offer some advice.

We’ve had many years of experience skiing with toddlers because both our boys started skiing before they were age 1 using the Apple Rise equipment.  One doesn’t need to start them that early, but skiing is our main activity in the winter, and you can’t really accomplish both being with your kids and skiing… if they’re not skiing.  I think the best advice has already been given – they should be having fun, and as soon as they aren’t you know it’s time to stop.  As was mentioned, using the good to great weather days can really help with keeping it fun.

Archived