Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, eyewall said:

That first pic is amazing and love to see this thread! Of course we know it would be tough for it to be worse than last year although I will have PTSD going in.

I'm smelling a good year for the ski resorts. I think La Nina will be welcome.

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm smelling a good year for the ski resorts. I think La Nina will be welcome.

Yeah I'm hoping we can get a good northern stream going with frequent events, even if they aren't huge big dog storms, just a SWFE parade or clipper parade would be welcomed.

I'm attending therapy sessions this summer, so hopefully the PTSD from last winter will be much less by October, lol.

I still think it'll be amazing to just get like two warning level events within like a 10-14 day period...that'll feel like epic winter.  December will make two years for me with a true warning level event of 7"/12 hours or 9"+/24hrs.  Of course the mountain has had that, but would be fun to have a good all elevation storm.

Follow-up on the Spruce lift at SR

SAM Magazine—Newry, Maine, July 20, 2016—Investigators think they may have discovered why the upper terminal of the Spruce Peak Triple seemed to uproot from the ground at Sunday River on July 10.SundayRiverLift 2 emailsize

According to the resort, MountainGuard engineers said it appears that the concrete grout used to adhere steel reinforcement bars to the foundation of the terminal and the bedrock below failed. They plan to return to the resort tomorrow, July 21, to take core samples from the bedrock where concrete grout is present for further tests.

No one saw the incident occur, and no one was injured.

Investigators believe that, after the foundation of the terminal uprooted, the weight and tension of the haul rope pulled the terminal downhill. It tipped the bullwheel up 90 degrees. That allowed the haul rope to release, and many chairs to lower to the ground.

Sunday River’s lift maintenance manager discovered the slack rope and lowered chairs on the evening of July 10. The resort, State of Maine Tramway Board, and MountainGuard insurance have been working to understand the cause of the incident since.

On Monday, Sunday River was given permission by MountainGuard to de-tension the haul rope, which in turn lowered all remaining chairs on the Spruce Peak Triple. The site remains closed as a safety precaution during the ongoing investigation.

Decisions on repairing or replacing the Spruce Peak Triple will depend on several factors, including the results of Sunday River and MountainGuard engineering reports. The resort said it intends to act as quickly as possible on whatever decision is made following the conclusion of the investigation.

With the new baby, no Telluride trips this winter...but hopefully several day trips.

I never got out once in New England last winter...not that I missed a whole lot. Only a few stretches of decent skiing. I did get a nice pair of atomic ski boots for $45 at Sports authority's going out of business clearance that I want to try this winter. Normally they were $400. Gotta love 90% off. :lol:

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm attending therapy sessions this summer, so hopefully the PTSD from last winter will be much less by October, lol.

I still think it'll be amazing to just get like two warning level events within like a 10-14 day period...that'll feel like epic winter.  

Still traumatized by Xmas week last year!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not New England skiing/riding but this is huge news in the industry.  This is really making waves and most ski industry higher ups that I know are shocked at this sale.

The largest ski resort operator in North America just purchased the largest ski resort in North America.

Vail Resorts has purchased Whistler-Blackcomb for a whopping $1.4 billion dollars.  That is the largest transaction in the history of the the ski resort industry.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/08/vail-resorts-buys-whistler-blackcomb-for-1-39-billion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, radarman said:

Yeah, the AMS annual meeting is in Seattle in Jan... Crystal Mt. and/or Baker not too far away...

I've heard good things about Crystal Mt. Aside from sometimes getting crowded on a weekend, it's pretty low volume and has some great terrain. They obviously get a crap ton of snow too...hopefully a bit fluffier/colder variety if you go this year in a La Nina.

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've heard good things about Crystal Mt. Aside from sometimes getting crowded on a weekend, it's pretty low volume and has some great terrain. They obviously get a crap ton of snow too...hopefully a bit fluffier/colder variety if you go this year in a La Nina.

It's one of the more underrated ski resorts in the country.  

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's one of the more underrated ski resorts in the country.  

I've heard they can get some serious pow days there...you wouldn't always think that at first glance given they are near Pacific...but they are pretty far north (unlike Lake Tahoe area), so you get enough of those -8C 850 airmasses in the winter which means at 5k-7k feet there at Crystal, they are gonna be really cold. No cement on those airmasses. But you def have the cement base for when those days come along.

I was thinking how I want to get to a ski mountain I haven't skied yet this winter. What are your top ones?

My top places I haven't skied yet in New England:

Stowe, Sugarloaf, Saddleback

I'd also like to try Burke Mountain...mid-tier place, but have heard some decent things about it. Old school feel with the trails.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was thinking how I want to get to a ski mountain I haven't skied yet this winter. What are your top ones?

I'd also like to try Burke Mountain...mid-tier place, but have heard some decent things about it. Old school feel with the trails.

You would love all of them. Top areas I have skied are SR, Stowe, Sugarloaf and my all time fav little Mt Berkshire East. I haven't missed many only the small ones.

38 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You would love all of them. Top areas I have skied are SR, Stowe, Sugarloaf and my all time fav little Mt Berkshire East. I haven't missed many only the small ones.

Haven't done Beast yet...but I'm intrigued given the hype by the crowd on here.

It does look like a nice little mountain from the pics posted and rarely seems to have lines.

There's several smallish mountains I'm all for trying...esp when you can grab one of those really good deals they frequently seem to have for lift tickets. Even a 1000-1200 foot vert can be a blast with short lines.

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My top eastern bucket list is Sugarloaf...they've got terrain and vertical drop, two of my favorite things.  I figure it's probably just as windy and cold as any of the norther mountains like Stowe/Jay/Cannon/Wildcat etc and that's not a deterrent.

Archived