SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me get in on the how far away you can see convo.

A few weeks ago, I was driving north heading to my house and I could see a distant thunderstorm.  It was near dark and the lighting flashes made the clouds visible.  You wouldn't have been able to see it had it been earlier in the day.  Anyway, radar showed no storms to my north until you got up to State College. That's about 110 miles north of me.  So yeah, you can see high storm clouds from a long distance.

BTW, in flat areas where mountains don't block the view, the rough math (using 4000 miles as the earth radius) tells you that a 40k tall storm top will be visible from 246 miles.  Of course you would have to have lightning to illuminate it.

6 minutes ago, jbakerman said:

Trying to get my older son's heart to stop racing from that one. We were watching by the front door. 

I was out under the carport with my dog. He's jumpy enough when it comes to thunder and other booming things (it's one thing he actually barks at) and he about jumped out of his fur! :lol:

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Let me get in on the how far away you can see convo.

A few weeks ago, I was driving north heading to my house and I could see a distant thunderstorm.  It was near dark and the lighting flashes made the clouds visible.  You wouldn't have been able to see it had it been earlier in the day.  Anyway, radar showed no storms to my north until you got up to State College. That's about 110 miles north of me.  So yeah, you can see high storm clouds from a long distance.

BTW, in flat areas where mountains don't block the view, the rough math (using 4000 miles as the earth radius) tells you that a 40k tall storm top will be visible from 246 miles.  Of course you would have to have lightning to illuminate it.

Last night, I was driving up Fairfax County Parkway and saw lightning from out near Cumberland. Looked like it was just around the corner, but it's more like 100 or so miles away. Pretty impressive.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived