Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• H2O pinned this topic
  • Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Random Chaos said:

Quite the storm tonight...

63mph gusts, dime size hail, 1.75" rain in the past 30+minutes. Of that, 1 inch fell in about a 10 minute period.

Lost power so my station isn't updating online.

Wow! That was one hell of a storm. Nothing here today except humidity.

1 hour ago, biodhokie said:

Severe cancel for August. Outside of the usual places, the storms are look like they'll underperform and be underwhelming.

Probably the case but how can you say this on August 2nd for the entire month? Not saying you're wrong, obviously ;)

10 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

First half of August looking very dry.

Just mowed for the first time in 3 weeks. Mostly cutting weeds and blowing dust. Been missing all the storms lately, and being in the woods with well drained soil, it doesn't take long without rain to go dust bowl this time of year. Can I have your old avatar?

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Just mowed for the first time in 3 weeks. Mostly cutting weeds and blowing dust. Been missing all the storms lately, and being in the woods with well drained soil, it doesn't take long without rain to go dust bowl this time of year. Can I have your old avatar?

Yeah, I just mowed for the first time in 3 weeks too.  Even after 4.45" of rain Thur - Sat, I still didn't need to mow my front yard.  Even though it greened up, it hasn't grown a mm.  Last time I mowed, I didn't have to mow the front either.  It's been 5+ weeks since it's been mowed.  Without some cooler temps, we're going to be back to brown very soon.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Pretty decent easterly breeze tonight.  Enough to to make 78/70 feel somewhat comfortable.

Yes I stepped out to take the trash to the curb and was surprised at the sound of pretty good gusts going through the trees. Feels pretty okay out there. 

Hey all, question about an odd (to me) series of radar returns this morning between roughly 5:45 and 6:45.  Over the North end of the Bay East of Baltimore there was a single point with some ~15 dBz returns that proceeded to spread out in a circular pattern in all directions before dissipating.  Could someone explain the phenomenon I'm seeing here?  Screenshots included below.

pt1 odd radar sig 8-3-16.JPGpt2 odd radar sig 8-3-16.JPGpt3 odd radar sig 8-3-16.JPG

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Geese, you think?  Very cool, nonetheless.

Could be - or some other type of bay-loving bird given the proximity to the water. I love radar signatures like that. There's some pages online where you can see all sorts of signatures that look near. Cars on roads, bats, insects and of course birds.

If that's APG doing testing I'm hoping we aren't irradiated ;)

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived