Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August OBS '16 S/E Edition

NWNC2015

On 8/26/2016 at 2:57 PM, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Well even if it is off, it would be comparing temps to past temps of the same station.

Yes, but reporting locations can change a lot over the years due to construction, land-use pattern change etc.  It is my understanding that sometimes they even move or replace the whole apparatus to a different site on the ground.  I have no idea if any of that has happened at CAE, but it would be interesting to see.

On a somewhat related topic, has anyone else in NC noticed that over the last 10 years or so, RDU seems to be threatening Fayetteville's preeminence as climatlogically the warmest location in the state?  I remember Greg Fishel remarking on it from time to time, at least once with what appeared to be a noticeable tone of skepticism.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cbmclean said:

On a somewhat related topic, has anyone else in NC noticed that over the last 10 years or so, RDU seems to be threatening Fayetteville's preeminence as climatlogically the warmest location in the state?  I remember Greg Fishel remarking on it from time to time, at least once with what appeared to be a noticeable tone of skepticism.

What would be the reasoning for that?  Growing urban heat island?  It is clear that RDU is almost always considerably warmer than places very close by like Northern Durham, Hillsborough and Roxboro.

1 hour ago, JacobNC said:

What would be the reasoning for that?  Growing urban heat island?  It is clear that RDU is almost always considerably warmer than places very close by like Northern Durham, Hillsborough and Roxboro.

Either UHI or perhaps just shoddy site placement.  A few years ago there was a effort by an AGW skeptic to document what he felt was crappy weather station conditions (like too close to asphalt) contributing to a spurious warming signal.  His thesis seems exaggerated, but I suspect that it can lead to poor quality data in localized instances.  Hence my original musings about CAE.

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

have had several good showers as the onshore flow fires up for us.....with TD8 moving closer we could have us a pretty wet couple of days around here.....

It's tantalizingly close to Wilson, but so far no love.  We could use the rain too.

Getting quick intense little storms in this on shore flow, had 5 or 6 really close lightning strikes to add to the fun. Overall the rain hasnt been to heavy since it doesnt last more than 10-15 mins any given time.

Edit: little over 1" in the gauge now storms still forming and moving west, should die off as the sun sets.....

8 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Just in case anyone was wondering, CAE's avg temp still says this is the "hottest summer ever", beating out the gawd awful 2011  <_< :gun_bandana:

Spin it around and say hot damn I was alive to witness history and survived the Summer of 2016 record heat.  Hmmm, maybe i should start making T shirts and selling them :D

5 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Spin it around and say hot damn I was alive to witness history and survived the Summer of 2016 record heat.  Hmmm, maybe i should start making T shirts and selling them :D

:lol: At this rate it won't be long before I can say.....I have lived threw the "hottest summers ever" during the "hottest decade ever recorded" :lol: 

Archived