Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2016-17 discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, griteater said:

Big snow in the western sections on this day in 1971 (Dec 3-4)

Asheville: 16.3 inches

Greenville, SC: 11.4 inches

Charlotte: 7.5 inches

Greensboro: 4.2 inches

Raleigh: 3.7 inches

wl50gm.gif

That's awesome and only a 1027 high to get it done!! That would be fun again! We're the temps marginal or below 32, just curious 

3 hours ago, griteater said:

Big snow in the western sections on this day in 1971 (Dec 3-4)

Asheville: 16.3 inches

Greenville, SC: 11.4 inches

Charlotte: 7.5 inches

Greensboro: 4.2 inches

Raleigh: 3.7 inches

wl50gm.gif

Interesting setup with trough out west...not the usual look for SE snow. Thanks for posting. 

All 3 global ensembles are trying to throw up the dreaded AK low in the extended too..that would obviously not be good as we start getting into the 1999/2006/2012 winter's over pattern.  We probably will go back AN after these couple of intense cold shots and then waiting begins.  Would guess we may need some strat help.  

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 9.47.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 9.50.00 AM.png

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

The cold blast for this coming weekend is moderating! Had forecast of 41 and low of 23 two days ago, now that's already up to 46/26, by the time we get there, we will be at about avg, 50/34, just gonna be a Shetley kind of winter I guess! :(

GFS has Tmax in mid-30's on Fridays.  Euro is a little slower with the cold push and has Tmax of upper 30's on Saturday.   This will help our ground temps...well until we roast around Xmas again :sun:

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 9.59.48 AM.png

21 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

If Greenville had 11" from that storm in 1971, Atlanta must have had at least 6" ?

Dang, man, you ought to know by now the Carolina's get the snow, and we get the shaft :)  It's the price we pay for being so personable and fine looking :) T  Picked up another .6 of real rain so far, making 2.6 in half a week after 71 days of nada.  Maybe the worm has turned.

AO appears to be the thorn in our side this winter. Beautiful ridge in the western CONUS and Atlantic, but cold air needs to stick and not be transient. I think the models are going too positive with the AO, but that might be the weenie in me. Either way, not a torch like previous winters.  

7 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

AO appears to be the thorn in our side this winter. Beautiful ridge in the western CONUS and Atlantic, but cold air needs to stick and not be transient. I think the models are going too positive with the AO, but that might be the weenie in me. Either way, not a torch like previous winters.  

Yeah the problem seems to be that the cold air seems to come in after big storm systems, then moderates before the next storm system comes in and repeats this. There's definitely going to be cold air available, but it won't sync with moisture. The story of our lives in the South.

Archived