SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-17 discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is virtually no reason to think we will end up with anything other than a warmer than normal winter this year.  Every hint of cold we see gets soon replaced with moderation and a warmer look.  The warmer solutions have been much more consistent than the colder ones.  But, that said, we still gotta play the game.  We'll see....

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

There is virtually no reason to think we will end up with anything other than a warmer than normal winter this year.  Every hint of cold we see gets soon replaced with moderation and a warmer look.  The warmer solutions have been much more consistent than the colder ones.  But, that said, we still gotta play the game.  We'll see....

I still think that this is a unique year and the models will be playing catchup at the last moment. I think the seasonal models really have trouble with this winter pattern. We have already scene the Euro weeklies jump around more than usual this season. 

8 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

What's funny is that 2000 and 2002 were torches and we had our biggest snows.   2001 was a frigid and we got 2" for the season.  

6 minutes ago, packbacker said:

What's funny is that 2000 and 2002 were torches and we had our biggest snows.   2001 was a frigid and we got 2" for the season.  

Absolutely.  I think we're in for some snow this year.  But it's going to suck waiting and waiting and waiting for a good cold pattern to set in, I'm afraid.  We've just been cooking, for whatever reason.  And now that we've scored a favorable SAI, we can welcome in another +AO winter.

11 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Booooooo!  Boo, I say.  Don't bring that negativity into our optimistic emotive gathering of like-minded individuals.  Down with you, good sir!  :bag: 

:D

I think  slightly below normal temps and normal snowfall for areas in Virginia North Carolina and Tenn but slightly above normal temps for SC and Ga. with lower snowall than average. Storm track could end up running along the NC/SC border for part of the winter and up the Appalachians for the rest. We could end up with some ice in the favored CAD areas several times this winter as well. Overall not a fantastic winter but one with some suspense as to where storms will track, making this a busy year for this board. OOPS forgot to add I think Florida, Alabama, Miss. etc will be above normal temperature with Fla being the most above.

1 hour ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Weatherbell Joe Bastardi has updated his full winter season December - February maps for temperature and snow this winter.

Subscription required.

I wouldn't pay any attention to his forecasts. I was supposed to get 150% of my "normal" snowfall last winter and I got about .5 inch. We're liable to have the exact opposite of what he is forecasting. I'm sure not putting any stock in it.

Anybody that tries to forecast snow for NC and south is setting their self up for failure.

9 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Day In WX History (‪@weather_history‬)

12/2/16, 11:24

#OTD in 1896, early season snow and ice storm struck the southeastern U.S. 11" of snow at Charlotte #NC and 6" at #Atlanta #GA#wxhistory 

Maps:

Could've had another Dec 2nd snow in 2000.. Ah what could've been.

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

This is my forecast for Thurs night. Mid 20s and rain !

Thursday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Noticed that on mine as well. Must be cold chasing moisture. Maybe we will luck out and see a few flakes.

Archived