Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-17 discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, griteater said:

Nice post Supercane, enjoyed it.  I wish we had combined snow and ice data since ice is obviously a big component to the winter equation down here.  I have compiled snow + ice data (liquid equivalent) for Charlotte back to the winter of 73-74 using hourly obs, but wish I had a longer record.  I may look at those numbers with QBO/Nina when I get a chance.

Looking at current QBO cycle...looks like we are due to flip soon?

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Looking at current QBO cycle...looks like we are due to flip soon?

We should be right in the heart of the +QBO in the lower stratosphere (30mb to 50mb) for winter.  The positive values along the Equator on the left side from 10mb to 45mb, that's the +QBO.  Unless something wacky happens, that should continue to decend through the stratosphere...so by Jan-Feb, the +QBO should be from, say, 20mb to 60mb.

QBO.gif

18 minutes ago, griteater said:

We should be right in the heart of the +QBO in the lower stratosphere (30mb to 50mb) for winter.  The positive values along the Equator on the left side from 10mb to 45mb, that's the +QBO.  Unless something wacky happens, that should continue to decend through the stratosphere...so by Jan-Feb, the +QBO should be from, say, 20mb to 60mb.

QBO.gif

Thanks Grit!  I guess the wQBO is a help this winter as opposed to last winter.

In its schedule monthly update, NOAA removed the La Niña watch noting the chance of La Niña developing has been lowered to around 40% through the early winter. ENSO-neutral conditions are present and favored this winter.
The forecast: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/…/…/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

On September 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM, griteater said:

On the Pacific side, it should be better....but -QBO/low solar would be better with the AO/NAO.  Also, East Based Nina is better for AO/NAO.

New article on this year's QBO from science magazine if you guys are interested: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/unprecedented-disruption-atmospheres-pacemaker-foretells-wet-winter-europe

8 hours ago, LithiaWx said:

White Christmas for the southeast.  Book it.

Problem with areas outside the mountains is Christmas is not prim time for winter storms. Early January to early March is when storms tend to get suppressed south enough to provide winter storms (..normally). There has been some discussion of a front end winter this year; but that could be fading now with the fading prospects of la nina.

On September 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I'm gonna make a very bold prediction.... December 2016 will be MUCH MUCH MUCH colder than December 2015. 

Well be careful there.  I think I said this time last year that I was sure December 2015 would be much colder than December 2014.  Even with the strong El Niño that seemed like an automatic. 

I saw something intereating today on Facebook from WRAL weather.  They had an intern that did a study on how accurate the GFS is in forecasting snow for central NC. He found that it generally forecasts more than we actually get, which isn't a surprise. What was interesting is he found the GFS was more accurate at 72 hours out than earlier or later forecasts. Something to keep in mind for winter. 

33 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Greetings folks. I didn't see this posted yet, so here's the early look at winter fron JB/Weatherbell. 

http://www.weatherbell.com/winter-2016-17-forecast

Thanks for posting this mitch. If February ends up being the big winter month that will make three years in a row for us.   

Fab February rules

that's hilarious can someone show me with PROOF in just "1 example" where JB/WB has "ever" forecasted a winter scenario showing below normal snowfall from Atlanta, GA into New England w/ the back end of winter being warmer/dryer/less severe than the first half? :lol:

and not a "updated backtrack forecast" in late Jan. 

also isn't the February and March averages just snowier than December and January anyways for many of us

8 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Can't wait to spend the first half of the winter waiting and hoping for the second half of Feb and March to pay off, while December has a maximum of 4 low temp readings below freezing!

We talked about this before, but the way I see it is winter forecast are as reliable as the 16 day GFS. I enjoy reading them and try not to disrespect a persons views, but our knowledge and technology are just not good enough at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me if we get two big winter storms in December and then nothing afterwards. With weather, and particularly the SE, it really comes down to us getting lucky and having things line up perfectly.   

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

We talked about this before, but the way I see it is winter forecast are as reliable as the 16 day GFS. I enjoy reading them and try not to disrespect a persons views, but our knowledge and technology are just not good enough at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me if we get two big winter storms in December and then nothing afterwards. With weather, and particularly the SE, it really comes down to us getting lucky and having things line up perfectly.   

Yep, good post.  Exactly right.

Archived