Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sweet '16 Mid-Long Range Discussion

NWNC2015

42 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Very little rainfall.  Bad time to be going into a drought, right before fall.  It will mean that the leaves will be all brown and crusty instead of bright and vibrant. :(

That could all change if 99L tracks to the west of FL and through N GA.. Would be a solid rain maker for most next week but who knows what is going to happen with that one

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Very little rainfall.  Bad time to be going into a drought, right before fall.  It will mean that the leaves will be all brown and crusty instead of bright and vibrant. :(

24 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

That could all change if 99L tracks to the west of FL and through N GA.. Would be a solid rain maker for most next week but who knows what is going to happen with that one

Drought is a worry. It becomes a real possibility going into a la nina. Some of our worst droughts start in the fall and winter. It could be a rough time across the SE next summer.  

44 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Drought is a worry. It becomes a real possibility going into a la nina. Some of our worst droughts start in the fall and winter. It could be a rough time across the SE next summer.  

That's true but it is looking more and more likely we are entering a very weak nina or even neutral winter... All it takes is one significant tropical system between now and the end of October to end any thoughts of drought

On 8/25/2016 at 11:38 AM, wncsnow said:

That's true but it is looking more and more likely we are entering a very weak nina or even neutral winter... All it takes is one significant tropical system between now and the end of October to end any thoughts of drought

The problem is, is that no tropical systems will be moving into inland SC, NC, or GA though. The 18z GFS says much of the southeast gets .25 or less of rainfall through day 16 and I almost guarantee it's right. This fall is going to be like the fall of 2001, which was crazy dry over much of the southeast. Next summer will be unreal in the southeast I'm afraid and will be remembered forever. Look at most of CAL right now for what next summer will be like around here. 1993, 1986, 2002, 1999, 2007, and 1999 will not be mentioned again after next summer is over. 

Hottest summer on record in Columbia...records back to 1887

Hottest summer on record in Charleston...records back to 1930

Hottest summer on record in Savannah...records back to 1871

Hottest summer on record in Asheville...records back to 1869

2nd hottest summer on record in Greensboro (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1903

2nd hottest summer on record in Charlotte (1993 was hottest)...records back to 1879

2nd hottest summer on record in Atlanta (1980 was hottest)...records back to 1879

3rd hottest summer on record in Greenville, SC (2011 was hottest)...records back to 1884

3rd hottest summer on record in Raleigh (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1887

3rd hottest summer on record in Greenville, NC (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1875

3rd hottest summer on record in Wilmington (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1871

Looks warmer than normal in first half of Sept too

19 minutes ago, griteater said:

Hottest summer on record in Columbia...records back to 1887

Hottest summer on record in Charleston...records back to 1930

Hottest summer on record in Savannah...records back to 1871

Hottest summer on record in Asheville...records back to 1869

2nd hottest summer on record in Greensboro (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1903

2nd hottest summer on record in Charlotte (1993 was hottest)...records back to 1879

2nd hottest summer on record in Atlanta (1980 was hottest)...records back to 1879

3rd hottest summer on record in Greenville, SC (2011 was hottest)...records back to 1884

3rd hottest summer on record in Raleigh (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1887

3rd hottest summer on record in Greenville, NC (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1875

3rd hottest summer on record in Wilmington (2010 was hottest)...records back to 1871

Looks warmer than normal in first half of Sept too

Thank you for compiling those records - I wonder what the average summer high temp was in Columbia? Can't imagine living there during this past summer (or any summer LOL)

1 hour ago, drfranklin said:

Thank you for compiling those records - I wonder what the average summer high temp was in Columbia? Can't imagine living there during this past summer (or any summer LOL)

For this summer in Columbia:

Avg Temp: 84.8

Avg High Temp: 95.8

Avg Low Temp: 73.9

All 3 were hottest of all time

1 hour ago, drfranklin said:

That would be 94.9 degrees (currently according to CAE's FB page), beating out the previous record set in 2011 of 94.2 degrees

8 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

That would be 94.9 degrees (currently according to CAE's FB page), beating out the previous record set in 2011 of 94.2 degrees

Some slight differences with the numbers...this is from the SE Regional Climate Center

Columbia.gif

7 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

The portals are no joke  :P 

Yep, on fire

9 minutes ago, griteater said:

Some slight differences with the numbers...this is from the SE Regional Climate Center

Columbia.gif

Yep, on fire

I don't know where CAE got their data from, it's just a quote from their fb page :( 

With one day left of meteorological summer, CAE still on track for the warmest summer on record. Average of 84.9F, #2 is 84.2 back in 2011.#caewx #scwx

44 minutes ago, griteater said:

Columbia.gif

Yep, on fire

lol you gotta love how the top 4 warmest summers on record are all since 2010. If this is global warming, I dread to see what summers will be like in 20 years. 

46 minutes ago, Bryan63 said:

Can anyone tell me what it looks like for Saturday the 10th in Raleigh area. 

Want to go to Beericana but with it being outside want to make sure the weather holds up before committing to buying a ticket. 

Do you like drinking beer in tropical weather?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/

45 minutes ago, toxictwister00 said:

I wonder if Atlanta will tie or break that record of 90 days at or above 90 degrees this summer that was set back in 2011. I think we're at day 74 or 75 now. We still have time, September can be pretty hot too.

Nah. I think Atlanta will end up having around 80 days of 90+. This coming week looks hot but the following week should be a little cooler. 

6 hours ago, toxictwister00 said:

I wonder if Atlanta will tie or break that record of 90 days at or above 90 degrees this summer that was set back in 2011. I think we're at day 74 or 75 now. We still have time, September can be pretty hot too.

It will be close.  The record of days at 70 or above was pretty impressive.  Nasty record to experience. 

This will have some affect on the downstream pattern for the US. I think the cold/even snowy north-west will turn milder and it will start to cool down east esp. Great Lakes once this thing merges and exits. For some in the South-East who have been near 90s and dry.....I think this means an increase chance of rain a day maybe two next week and temps in the 80s......with even upper 70s for non-mountain areas (Elkin). 

Newton%20track_zpsvsrku5az.gif

On September 4, 2016 at 10:23 AM, toxictwister00 said:

Looks like we have a really good shot at breaking this horrible record.  Looks to heat up again next week after a cool down to the mid to upper 80s this weekend. 

Archived