Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Beach type perfection Crystal clear skies visibility unlimited Warm not to hot The most torrid summer of our lives continues 

It's like Kev knows he needs to "counter-post" anyone talking about how enjoyable the weather has been or will be.  "Dont let them fool you, it will not be enjoyable next week!"

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's like Kev knows he needs to "counter-post" anyone talking about how enjoyable the weather has been or will be.  "Dont let them fool you, it will not be enjoyable next week!"

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The wx in Nne has been different than SNE. You've had a normal summer and plentiful rains while SNE had a hot July, and what looks like a hot August. I guess I'm wondering how this summer is a BSE in SNE if last summer was too? Unless every summer is BSE no matter actual wx

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The wx in Nne has been different than SNE. You've had a normal summer and plentiful rains while SNE had a hot July, and what looks like a hot August. I guess I'm wondering how this summer is a BSE in SNE if last summer was too? Unless every summer is BSE no matter actual wx

A million times said to you but you do not listen, its all about the Dews, the clarity of the air, the smog free days and low dews. Its about wall to wall sunshine. The few high dew days make it just a fantastic summer, no one gives a rats ass if its plus 90 if its cool in the shade due to low dews. No one wants it cloudy and muggy like you do. You spin spin spin. Every week you post yea but next week, thats what PF is saying. Enjoy Sunday Monday Tuesday outside, you need the break

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

A million times said to you but you do not listen, its all about the Dews, the clarity of the air, the smog free days and low dews. Its about wall to wall sunshine. The few high dew days make it just a fantastic summer, no one gives a rats ass if its plus 90 if its cool in the shade due to low dews. No one wants it cloudy and muggy like you do. You spin spin spin. Every week you post yea but next week, thats what PF is saying. Enjoy Sunday Monday Tuesday outside, you need the break

I think everyone here would agree that no matter what the wx..you'll always turn it into something else. Like the record tying 10 day period of 90+ and you were posting about feeling chilly getting out of the ocean. Or talking about typhoon recurves that only have small chances of happening to name a few..Never anything about a period coming up. Focusing on the mid 80's Sunday and Monday , but not mentioning the 90's and humidity coming the rest of the week..You are extremely cold biased. Nothing wrong with that at all. But it does distort your posts and sense of reality when it comes to weather

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think everyone here would agree that no matter what the wx..you'll always turn it into something else. Like the record tying 10 day period of 90+ and you were posting about feeling chilly getting out of the ocean. Or talking about typhoon recurves that only have small chances of happening ..Never anything about a period coming up. Focusing on the mid 80's Sunday and Monday , but not mentioning the 90's and humidity coming the rest of the week..You are extremely cold biased. Nothing wrong with that at all. But it does distort your posts and sense of reality when it comes to weather

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think everyone here would agree that no matter what the wx..you'll always turn it into something else. Like the record tying 10 day period of 90+ and you were posting about feeling chilly getting out of the ocean. Or talking about typhoon recurves that only have small chances of happening to name a few..Never anything about a period coming up. Focusing on the mid 80's Sunday and Monday , but not mentioning the 90's and humidity coming the rest of the week..You are extremely cold biased. Nothing wrong with that at all. But it does distort your posts and sense of reality when it comes to weather

Well it was 78 degrees with very low dews at the Ocean, if you don't live there it didn't happen which is usually your response. I posted a typhoon recurve tweet from an established Met you very often quote but only pick and choose when to quote. I love the heat and again spin spin spin,it was not 90 degrees 10 days in a row except on a tarmac at BDL. I just do not like HHH which makes me like 95% of the rest of the board, so who is the outlier?. And oh by the way, hows the most torrid summer ever coming along, how many 100's have we had? Enjoy the next 3 days of clear beautiful warm days cool nights. I know I realy enjoyed not having the AC on with temps in the upper 40's low 50's this week, you know in the most torrid summer ever.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Text book "pot calling the kettle black"

what you're opine of him elucidates precisely mirrors your own predilection ...but in the other direction.  

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

what you're opine of him elucidates precisely mirrors your own predilection ...but in the other direction.  

COuldn't be farther from the truth. In the winter I have a severe cold bias and snow bias. In the summer it's opposite. I want seasons to perform as seasons in season. It's not hard to understand.

COuldn't be farther from the truth. In the winter I have a severe cold bias and snow bias. In the summer it's opposite. I want seasons to perform as seasons in season. It's not hard to understand.

44 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

:wacko: ... you just said it couldn't be further from the truth, and then tried to support it by confirming it's truth ...ummm.  okay.  

you should never carry a bias - you can want this or that, but not allow that to effect your analyitical skills - which... I know, can't be helped for you.  Lost cause.

seriously, the 12z UKMET is your dream model solution dude - at least the freebie of the 500mb evolution from D4 to 7 anyway.  near historic heights with deep layer SW flow from west Texas, and if that were not enough... a carolina's TC slammin' into the lower MA at the end. 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Haha it wasn't even a comment on NNE or SNE or even this summer...just that when someone posts something about nice weather, you seem to want to convince everyone that it'll be miserably hot and humid.  Almost like you want people to complain about it. 

You think every summer is the hottest ever so I wouldn't think too much into the BSE.

Not all of NNE has had plentiful rains. We're very dry in sebago area. Sucks.

I don't think most people consider this a really hot summer...down here, it's been slightly above average. June was +0.8F, July was +2.2F, and the first week of August is -1.8F (NYC numbers). Much of the Northeast including NNE as well as parts of Upstate NY and PA had a below average June. The consensus seems to be that August is going to be very wet with limited opportunities for high heat. 

We basically had one week of very hot weather in July. The highest it got in Central Park was 96F, which is pretty normal for peak heat...we had 104F in 2011, remember during a truly epic heat wave.

So this summer has been fairly average, tilted slightly warm, which matches up with the climate trends the last 30 years. A +1 summer is basically normal considering the region has warmed about a degree during the 1980-2010 record period.

I missed the big heat wave at home as I was on vacation but looking at the obs there was a lot of mixing out and downsloping days and the Heat Index values were mostly under 100. How many excessive heat warnings were issued this summer? Around these parts the overall low number of heat advisories and excessive heat warnings is testament to the fact that the juxtaposition of heat and humidity and the strong persistent Bermuda High Ridge pumping up heights up the coast has been  transient and overall not memorable. The memorable years threw down some 100/ 73 type days, perhaps mixing out to about 68,69 on the dews but I remember some HI values of 110-115. Alot of 90-93/ 62-65 type is really not memorable, just seasonably hot.  With the epic Nino transitioning and the  heat potential this summer with the boiling oceans and overall state of global temperatures and the potential positive feedback on temps due to drought,  I'm really not impressed with this summer and there is nothing  the Rev up on the Tolland Massif can say to convince me or any reasonable person otherwise.  It's a seasonably hot  but unmemorable summer with lots of convective failure and burnt lawns for many thus far.  

In nne this weekend.   Long hike yesterday and it was definitely warm but the terrain is dry or at least was on the unh trail (re-routed) for the hedgehog loop including mount hedgehog and Allens ledges.  My friend hiking with me is 73 and a slow hiker but I felt it by the end of the day.  Today is pure loveliness at the lake.

10 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I missed the big heat wave at home as I was on vacation but looking at the obs there was a lot of mixing out and downsloping days and the Heat Index values were mostly under 100. How many excessive heat warnings were issued this summer? Around these parts the overall low number of heat advisories and excessive heat warnings is testament to the fact that the juxtaposition of heat and humidity and the strong persistent Bermuda High Ridge pumping up heights up the coast has been  transient and overall not memorable. The memorable years threw down some 100/ 73 type days, perhaps mixing out to about 68,69 on the dews but I remember some HI values of 110-115. Alot of 90-93/ 62-65 type is really not memorable, just seasonably hot.  With the epic Nino transitioning and the  heat potential this summer with the boiling oceans and overall state of global temperatures and the potential positive feedback on temps due to drought,  I'm really not impressed with this summer and there is nothing  the Rev up on the Tolland Massif can say to convince me or any reasonable person otherwise.  It's a seasonably hot  but unmemorable summer with lots of convective failure and burnt lawns for many thus far.  

I have never observed a combination of 100 F over a dew point temperature of 68 (let alone 73 on the latter), in southern New England.  

Granted, I've only lived around here since 1984 ... but in three+ decades that has not happened, where ever I happened to be.  I have seen 99/64 several times, however.  

Because of that, I have developed an 'intuitive' feel for heat around here, based upon experience, where DP of ~ 65 is about the cut-off - anything higher in theta-e taxes the ability to get the temperature higher because of energy balance.  It's not purely intuitive, either; it has to do diabatic heating and air density differences between Kansas and Boston, where the latter's sigma level is near or at sea level.  Think more atmosphere takes more energy input at the same pressure to balance:  PV=NRT;  where P = Pressure, V=Volume, N=Number of moles(mass), R=gas constant, T= Temperature.  

Since I am a hardened obsessed over all aspects of the science and am acutely aware of various seasonal achievements spanning those decades I can say - purely existentially - that combining triple digit temperatures with 70 DPs is thus rare for these parts, perhaps too rare, to fairly use that as an off-set argument. (Note: that is not saying it can't happen, but that physical limitations hinted above means it should be rare - the initial conditions would thusly be equal impressive; which s what the 00z Euro is attempting- haha).

Having said that ... the opposing side of that debate is thus also equally (if not more) flawed in attempts to assuage us from fact on such matters ;) , as though summer is supposed to be that way?  

Perhaps on another planet in a another solar system.   If SNE was located around the latitudes of the Va Capes and points S, those sort of combinations may be more realistic in terms of frequency, because their solar intake is some critical fraction percent(s) higher during heating hours.   

Archived