Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Friday Soaking

CT Rain

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Really good consensus for a bit soaking here. 

Could it trend south with some type of convective issues... of course. But DIT saying sprinkles and drizzle is ridiculous at this point. 

the 4K nam is a bit of a concern as it is well south-even LI gets the shaft.

nam4km_apcpn_neus_9.png

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not that anyone asked ...there's a couple things i don't like about this... 

the main one is the modeling of all these max QPF nodes ...they are not very consistently placed around the regions of the lower OV up through our area across successive model runs. 

that probably hearkens to the convective processes 'interfering' (not the same as convective feedback) with the strata processes.  the models are probably having difficulty simultaneously handling those different physical processes - mainly because the convective side of that is very susceptible to random permutations situate out in time (goes without saying really...) 

anyway, i don't doubt it will rain ... and probably hard, but i don't have a lot of faith that the QPF maxes are well handled here.  one run it's Boston proper, next run it's Orange Mass, now it's SW CT ... that's the NAM, but I don't think the other models are handling things with much more consistency.  

the other aspect is the unanimously agreed upon 'narrow' corridor of the event. that doesn't allow for a lot of wiggle room/error .. the former concern can be related, too.  but a shift one way or the other by 50 naut. miles may mean an inch and half of bustage there -

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

RGEM will be interesting as the 6z was ridiculously far south with the best stuff in S NJ.  Want to see it move north.

FWIW - the RPM has a similar setup with a big MCS moving through MD/DE/S NJ and effectively shutting off the good stuff up this way. Still a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

FWIW - the RPM has a similar setup with a big MCS moving through MD/DE/S NJ and effectively shutting off the good stuff up this way. Still a possibility. 

that would fit the seasonal trend of that area jackpotting.  The 4K NAM is not far from that solution either with the best stuff south of LI.

10 hours ago, CT Rain said:

GFS now on board.

NAM/GFS actually have a tornado threat for NJ and Long Island. 

SREF bullish. 

NCAR ensemble hammering some serious updrafts just south of LI too. This is the 48 hour cumulative product, but all that south of SNE happens on Friday.

hmuh_max_f001-f048_NE.png

19 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Really good consensus for a bit soaking here. 

Could it trend south with some type of convective issues... of course. But DIT saying sprinkles and drizzle is ridiculous at this point. 

With warm cloud depths pushing 13,000 feet, I don't think sprinkles and drizzle is the most accurate description. Whatever showers/storms form should be fairly efficient rainfall producers.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

With warm cloud depths pushing 13,000 feet, I don't think sprinkles and drizzle is the most accurate description. Whatever showers/storms form should be fairly efficient rainfall producers.

Yeah the ingredients are here. Oh how we pray for +RA!

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That isn't what I said. I have been worried we'd see the seasonal trend and pattern persistence of things shifting south . Convection always robs moisture transport and I think the hi res is picking up on that. I think there will be some rain. But these tv forecasts of widespread soakings and 1-3" seem a little gung ho IMO

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That isn't what I said. I have been worried we'd see the seasonal trend and pattern persistence of things shifting south . Convection always robs moisture transport and I think the hi res is picking up on that. I think there will be some rain. But these tv forecasts of widespread soakings and 1-3" seem a little gung ho IMO

That's actually not true at all, but I understand what you're trying to say. Convection increases moisture transport (due to development of potential vorticity) but the key is where it transports the moisture to. Convection develops a cyclonic circulation of moisture transport around it, so if the convection is a line that is SW to NE, the moisture transport tends to get shunted to the E. If convection is more N/S or even an MCS, moisture will be transported N.

If we get an MCS set up S of SNE, there is a chance that we actually form a warm advection wing of convection (think smaller scale low pressure, cold front, warm front scenario) just north of the track. So even the bulk of the precip misses S, you could still see an E/W line of elevated storms over CT somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Convection doesn't *always* rob moisture transport.  

You have plenty of moisture in the area with good PWATS.  This isn't a case where it's February and we watch the SE US convection cut-off the moisture stream and we have winter-time 0.1" PWATS in place. 

This scenario will come down to the frontal boundary position. It's going to be wet on that axis regardless of convection south of it.

20 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Is tomorrow a washout for GYX area? Trying to take the mother-in-law and other folks out in the boat on Sebago. Not sure if it's widespread T-storms, just showers, or other?

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

Is tomorrow a washout for GYX area? Trying to take the mother-in-law and other folks out in the boat on Sebago. Not sure if it's widespread T-storms, just showers, or other?

More scattered in our area, definitely not looking like a washout.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Convection doesn't *always* rob moisture transport.  

You have plenty of moisture in the area with good PWATS.  This isn't a case where it's February and we watch the SE US convection cut-off the moisture stream and we have winter-time 0.1" PWATS in place. 

This scenario will come down to the frontal boundary position. It's going to be wet on that axis regardless of convection south of it.

Chris did a pretty good explanation of it. It often depends on orientation...how many times have we seen big convection in the southeast actually bring the WAA precip further NORTH due to really pumping up heights ahead of it? If the convection is streaming that direction, then it can help...but if it's shooting more ENE then it can "rob" us.

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Looks like the NAM.  RGEM really screws MA-almost nothing there except far western MA

That's close to an inch near Boston too.

The northern side is going to have winners and losers...there will be heavy showers that fire up and whoever gets them will get a good dousing and those that miss will be left with much less.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's close to an inch near Boston too.

The northern side is going to have winners and losers...there will be heavy showers that fire up and whoever gets them will get a good dousing and those that miss will be left with much less.

that's the whole ball-game on this puppy for me, actually...

convective processes et al are immensely complex when intermingled with synoptic physics and the "narrowness" doesn't have a lot of room to play - if the co-mingling of those forces bump it one way or the other some completely acceptable amount than FIT gets .10" and PVD 4.75" because of training... 

it's probably going to have a kind of 'all or nothing' about it -

Archived