Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Friday Soaking

CT Rain

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Friday could be interesting. Models really bullish on heavy rain (GFS the exception) with a really nice LLJ and anomalously high PWATs.

I'd watch the warm front too on the South Coast or Long Island for a spinup too? 

314 PM EDT WED JUL 27 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...ALL OF
MASSACHUSETTS EXCEPT BERKSHIRE COUNTY...AND RHODE ISLAND.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY NIGHT...

THERE IS A RISK FOR LOCALIZED HEAVY RAIN AND POTENTIAL FLOODING
ESPECIALLY WITH ANY THUNDERSTORMS AS A STORM SYSTEM SWEEPS S OF
NEW ENGLAND.

Seems like a lot of wishcasting for damaging drought from Kevin. 

Also, "Sure hope Ryan is right with this forecast." What forecast? I didn't make any forecast lol. I did say some of the ingredients are there for heavy rain but we'll see. Lots still to figure out as there is a decent amount of spread but odds of good rain on Friday have definitely gone up. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Seems like a lot of wishcasting for damaging drought from Kevin. 

Also, "Sure hope Ryan is right with this forecast." What forecast? I didn't make any forecast lol. I did say some of the ingredients are there for heavy rain but we'll see. Lots still to figure out as there is a decent amount of spread but odds of good rain on Friday have definitely gone up. 

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying. I just have this fear that pattern persistence wins again like these have done all spring and summer. What looks good 48 hours out trends south or has convection to the south rob us. Maybe this one will be different. But I'm still skeptical 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying. I just have this fear that pattern persistence wins again like these have done all spring and summer. What looks good 48 hours out trends south or has convection to the south rob us. Maybe this one will be different. But I'm still skeptical 

Well I don't recall any even that resembles this one... so I'm not sure which events like this have "missed". Even our convection this summer has behaved pretty well and within expectations. 

Just now, CT Rain said:

Well I don't recall any even that resembles this one... so I'm not sure which events like this have "missed". Even our convection this summer has behaved pretty well and within expectations. 

Scooter always cautions us in these setups about Convection to south robbing moisture transport. I always keep that in mind 

Euro already has begun the shift south..Took HFD from 4.2 inches to much less with heaviest south coast and NYC south

Beware of Scooter's rule..Models struggle with convective processes in these setups and generally model the MCS rains too far north. With convection robbing big moisture transport. 

it will rain some..but I'd be cautious with those trying to sell big 1-3"inch + rain amounts over a large area

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks really wet for some in SNE...good PWATS, frontal zone for convergence, I'd say widespread 0.5-1.5" with locally higher looks fine for now.  Probably some spot 2+ amounts but localized.

Hope your forecast here is right. Imo..it's not a slam dunk everyone in SNE see over an inch

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Euro already has begun the shift south..Took HFD from 4.2 inches to much less with heaviest south coast and NYC south

Beware of Scooter's rule..Models struggle with convective processes in these setups and generally model the MCS rains too far north. With convection robbing big moisture transport. 

it will rain some..but I'd be cautious with those trying to sell big 1-3"inch + rain amounts over a large area

Euro still has 4" of rain around Danbury/Waterbury/Middletown. That's not exactly a huge jump south.

The GEFS has a big swath of mean 2"+ amounts in N CT which is almost maxing out the M-Climate. These are big signals for huge rains. 

25 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Euro still has 4" of rain around Danbury/Waterbury/Middletown. That's not exactly a huge jump south.

The GEFS has a big swath of mean 2"+ amounts in N CT which is almost maxing out the M-Climate. These are big signals for huge rains. 

Yeah I think the signal is fairly impressive on most models for 36-48 hours.

Granted DIT is in general dis-belief like NNE posters in recent winters lol.  Always looking for a way for it not to happen.

6z and also 12z nam argue for an MCV developing in LIS I believe... Would have to think that would lead to a sharp cutoff N of the Pike.  6z GFS jumped way N, but I believe in error and 12z will correct S.  h850 vort max stripe is an outlier at this point compared with nam/euro.

I also think the dual precip maxes shown in the 6z nam could come to fruition, with the initial slug of moisture over SENY and NWCT followed by a second one over ECT, RI, and SEMA as the mesoscale complex takes over.

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

12z NAM is a SW All of CT specials with 2-3 inches of rain.

Fixed.

We struggle a bit north of the pike. Dont think we'll get a huge soaking up here but should at least be a needed drink.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Fixed.

We struggle a bit north of the pike. Dont think we'll get a huge soaking up here but should at least be a needed drink.

Really good consensus for a bit soaking here. 

Could it trend south with some type of convective issues... of course. But DIT saying sprinkles and drizzle is ridiculous at this point. 

Archived