joxey
Sizeable drought affecting SNE

TalcottWx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As the past 3 yr dry period has shown.. Droughts do happen in New England

If this is a 3 year drought, then it also demonstrates very well that drought is really no big concern in New England.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As the past 3 yr dry period has shown.. Droughts do happen in New England

Can you explain to me how this can count a year as a drought year that had above normal precipitation?  If 2016 is year three, then 2015 was year two correct?  That makes 2014 year one.  We had almost 50" of precip that year.  How is that year one of the drought?  Please, explain to me how this is year three.

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The deficit of 15-20" goes back 3 years

OK - Let's review...

Drought Year 1: +3.06" for the year

Drought Year 2: -9.05" for the year

Drought Year 3: -4.92" (through 8/1)

So, we are down 13.97" between last year and this year.  How does that deficit go back 3 years?  If I include the first year, I'm only down about 11". 

Again, how does the drought go back three years when the first year had above average precip?

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

OK - Let's review...

So, we are down 13.97" between last year and this year.  How does that deficit go back 3 years?  If I include the first year, I'm only down about 11". 

Again, how does the drought go back three years when the first year had above average precip?

It doesn't. He's just being a weenie.

4 hours ago, MetHerb said:

OK - Let's review...

I love when MetHerb brings actual facts to a DIT conversation...as he's very close to DIT neighborhood.

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But our wx can be vastly different. Specifically mins and rainfall 

True, you are right there... convective rains can vary by the mile.  I just tend to assume his temperature departures are similar to yours in the long-run, even if you two have different cooling environments (radiating vs staying mixed).

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

True, you are right there... convective rains can vary by the mile.  I just tend to assume his temperature departures are similar to yours in the long-run, even if you two have different cooling environments (radiating vs staying mixed).

Lie because he's in a valley he radiates like mad..so his monthly departures are typi9cally several degrees cooler than mine. He was like 0.4 for July whereas most of the hills were +2 or so.

8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But our wx can be vastly different. Specifically mins and rainfall 

So you're saying that you did not have above average precip in 2014 like the rest of SNE?  Summertime convective differences are usually washed out over the fall, spring & winter so the area receives the same amount.  It's only over larger distances that those differences can play out.  You and I are going to be very similar precip wise over the course of a year.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lie because he's in a valley he radiates like mad..so his monthly departures are typi9cally several degrees cooler than mine. He was like 0.4 for July whereas most of the hills were +2 or so.

I'm on a hillside, not in a valley.  That's why I say I'm in an average spot in town.  There are people that live at 1,000-1,200' and people that live at 450'.  I live between them.  How can I be in a valley when I can either drive down hill out of my driveway or up hill?

The actual departures wouldn't matter anyway.  Departures are based on long term averages, not the actual temperature.  For example, my normal 8/3 temperatures are 80/58. This morning it's 53° so my low is 5 degrees below normal.  Your temperature this morning would also be 3-5 degrees below your average.

For the record I was +1.2 for July and that is reflected on regional maps over this area so it's just not my location.

8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You don't seem to understand how departures work.

Your climate is built into your norms...just because he radiates doesn't mean he is cooler than normal relative to you.  

You never radiate any summer, why would this summer be different and why would it change your temp relative to normal?

Archived