SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sizeable drought affecting SNE

TalcottWx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to feel for those of you in the drought areas......you're really snake bit.

Over 2.1 inches here in central NY today and still pouring.

Of course I can't help but think what this would be if only it had come 5 months later.......it would beat our snow total for all of last winter!

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

I'm starting to feel for those of you in the drought areas......you're really snake bit.

Over 2.1 inches here in central NY today and still pouring.

Of course I can't help but think what this would be if only it had come 5 months later.......it would beat our snow total for all of last winter!

Prob would be a nice 35F rain five months from now if last year's rules are used.

5 hours ago, w1pf said:

0.73 here since about 8:30PM yesterday, 0.54 since midnight

I'm not far from Radarman, and I watched him get a downpour yesterday when we didn't get a drop..

Came north over the notch this afternoon, trees are turning brown on the hillside..

Pouring here right now.  Radar looks like we add on another .25" to the 1.05" we got this morning.

Hopefully drought cancel here.

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

In the winter it's funny to laugh and say we got more snow than so and so but in summer drought it's not quite as jocular. 

1.26 today, 1.5" since Friday. 

I hear ya.

Only .2 here in the last 2 weeks.  Basically missed out on any t-storm chances over the last couple of weeks, just north of me and up in Manchester has done better.   Going to be a long August.

74/63 - Mostly Sunny.

1.11 early this morning from about 12:30am to 2am. (slightly less than the closest Personal Weather Station in Dunns Corners) 

Some embedded thunder in the heavier showers as well as distant thunder and lightning from the offshore complex. 

Friday and this mornings total is 2.14

it's an all or nothing pattern ...tho some are getting wicks wet with an inch of relief as of very recently. 

but MD was bombed by FF with some places recording a half foot of rain in 3 to 5 hours, amid a general region of 3 solid inches. 

spatially ... in both geographic and meteorological perspectives that region of the M/A is in the same neighborhood as SNE.  if that were Alberta Canada no, we couldn't say so... but synoptic scale fits both locations pretty squarely in the same pattern - which both are... it becomes a dice roll as to weather x-y-z permutation in the atmosphere trains over Massachusetts or there. 

you could really see the game of crappes taking place with that modeling lead-up to last Friday's quasi-bust.  many higher resolution model types were buck-shot spraying QPF maxes all over the dart board, ...just not quite there in terms of sampling the atmosphere discretely enough.  

forecasting sciences really is nearing a point where it can't really improve without some revolutionary technology ... the momentum moments of each individual molecule (quantum states) is a detection reserved for science fiction - but in a way ..that's what is really needed.  the physical equations that govern the atmosphere are used in the formulae that predicts the state of the atmosphere out in time, and those don't change; but the density and most importantly, the accuracy of every force in the three-dimensional domain space has to be ...essentially, perfectly atoned for, or the 'buck-shot' tendency of solutions is an outcome/aspect of the models we'll never get away from. 

but i digress.  

Archived