Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sizeable drought affecting SNE

TalcottWx

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup agreed.. How many times have we seen the Euro show massive widespread inches only to see 5 towns get that much while the rest of the area sees scattered showers . This one seems no different and it's even later in year with less forcing, lower dews near 70 and no cooling behind it 

After all these years you must know how convection and the models work by now.

Localized, localized, localized to a scale the models will not resolve.  Like 0.15" in one town and 1.5" in another and the models paint a huge area of 0.75-1".  

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol.  I was thinking the same thing.  I can't remember the Euro printing 2-3" over a large area of SNE except some streaks of convection during that period of "record" dews/heat.  Maybe DIT has some other examples.

There's been 3-4 x at least this summer where the Euro has done this. Once or twice in August and once or twice in July. The July stuff ended being over NJ and the August stuff got some of SNE, but mostly CNE and NNE. Mets remember .  Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen 

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Euro ensembles are reasonably bullish for Monday.

Hope so, but they've looked like that several times this summer. This just reeks of a couple towns doing well while many others get screwed relatively speaking. Certainly nothing pointing to Regionwide rain. Almost looks like NNE and maybe far SW CT down into NYC area as other jack 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hope so, but they've looked like that several times this summer. This just reeks of a couple towns doing well while many others get screwed relatively speaking. Certainly nothing pointing to Regionwide rain. Almost looks like NNE and maybe far SW CT down into NYC area as other jack 

Looks more widespread to me. Think a lot of areas get at least some rain.

On September 15, 2016 at 3:17 PM, OceanStWx said:

This s/wv staying positively tilted as it moves into Canada also gives me pause for widespread welcomed rains. Reeks of forcing petering out as it moves through, and precip staying more scattered. 

I'm in this camp. I don't see the mechanism for widespread 0.5" + rains with this in the exceptional  drought region. The shortwave remains open and runs into confluence in SE Canada. Additionally, we don't even have convective forcing to work with--the atmospheric conditions out ahead of the s/w are relatively stable and cool and dry, and that doesn't change much as it approaches.

I like northern maine and Vermont for wave one. And coastal Connecticut, RI LI/NYC, to cape cod for wave two.

I think those could be good starting points for jacks might even go into eastern NY and western MA, although it's still being worked out. I do think a lot of us get some water though. Maybe not all widespread 0.5"- 1", but it will probably be more widespread than anything we had all summer. There are some dynamics with this acting on high PWAT air, a bit of instability and front moving in. It's just too bad the s/w de amplifies a bit. 

11 hours ago, jbenedet said:

I'm in this camp. I don't see the mechanism for widespread 0.5" + rains with this in the exceptional  drought region. The shortwave remains open and runs into confluence in SE Canada. Additionally, we don't even have convective forcing to work with--the atmospheric conditions out ahead of the s/w are relatively stable and cool and dry, and that doesn't change much as it approaches.

I like northern maine and Vermont for wave one. And coastal Connecticut, RI LI/NYC, to cape cod for wave two.

Sounds like a fat screwgie for a lot in the middle 

I noticed there has not been any posts about the drought for the past 5 days.  Living up here in Central NH its been dry but not like the Boston area.  I don't notice any change in the forest canopy or shrubs up here.  Just some brown lawns and minor stuff like that.  I had to drive down to Boston today and took a quick detour through the western suburbs. Wow....for the average person that really does not notice the natural landscape in detail it really is no big deal. Personally I could not believe how many trees are in obvious distress.  Many large trees starting to turn brownish.  Big dead Rhododendrons and shrubs.  Small planted trees in industrial parks dying.  I think its going to be a very early foliage season with many trees not even going through color but just dropping leaves, especially with no rain in the forecast for at least 10 more days.

It's funny with us weather nerds.  If there is a chance of 2-4" of snow there might be 100 posts but with a slow mo major weather event like a drought no one posts.  Of course it is very boring and not much to say but if this continues it really should be put in context as a major weather event for New England. 

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I noticed there has not been any posts about the drought for the past 5 days.  Living up here in Central NH its been dry but not like the Boston area.  I don't notice any change in the forest canopy or shrubs up here.  Just some brown lawns and minor stuff like that.  I had to drive down to Boston today and took a quick detour through the western suburbs. Wow....for the average person that really does not notice the natural landscape in detail it really is no big deal. Personally I could not believe how many trees are in obvious distress.  Many large trees starting to turn brownish.  Big dead Rhododendrons and shrubs.  Small planted trees in industrial parks dying.  I think its going to be a very early foliage season with many trees not even going through color but just dropping leaves, especially with no rain in the forecast for at least 10 more days.

It's funny with us weather nerds.  If there is a chance of 2-4" of snow there might be 100 posts but with a slow mo major weather event like a drought no one posts.  Of course it is very boring and not much to say but if this continues it really should be put in context as a major weather event for New England. 

Oh it's beyond bad around here.  We need multiple storms that drop 1-3" over the span of a couple days to put any dent in this.  Here is the last 90 days.  Around 25% of normal precip. of about -6" to -8"+

90dPNormNRCC.png

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Drought is one of the two weather phenomena that I'd happily do away with, the other being freezing rain. Inconvenient and even destructive with little or no weenie appeal.

Archived