• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sizeable drought affecting SNE

TalcottWx

Many weather models have back off on the rain totals for the weekend and dont count on lot of rain through next tue for sne area . drought will be here through the fall or winter .

most likely the front will move south early next week but low will be move  off the  southern nj area will miss the rain likely . .  I dont see over 1inches or 2 inches  for large area of  sne area  this weekend or next week . Droughts can make their own weather pattern too .

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many weather models have back off on the rain totals for the weekend and dont count on lot of rain through next tue for sne area . drought will be here through the fall or winter .

most likely the front will move south early next week but low will be move  off the  southern nj area will miss the rain likely . .  I dont see over 1inches or 2 inches  for large area of  sne area  this weekend or next week . Droughts can make their own weather pattern too .

Why do the models continue to overdo the precip totals. It's annoying and frustrating not to mention the hit on businesses when people decide to cancel their weekend thinking it's going to rain.

I live up in Central NH so don't follow the radar that closely down in the hardest hit drought areas in E Mass and SE NH.  How much rain feel with this past system?  I know scattered showers/storms passed through but is there a radar simulated map showing rain totals the past couple of days.

Another dry stretch coming with next rain/storm chance around Monday. 

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Have fun paying for water. We don't usually have issues until the 3rd straight load of laundry.

When I bought this house in 1989 as a fixer upper it only had a 25 foot deep surface well.   We spent a huge amount of money  (I think around $8000?) and drilled a deep well.  They didn't hit water till 700 frickin feet.  They kept asking me if I wanted them to go deeper and I was in it for so much money that I just kept saying keep going.  Finally hit water and it replenishes at around 4 gallons a minute.  We drilled the well around the year 2000.   Couple of years ago the pump went bad and they had to pull it and replace it.  I think that was around $1500.  So on one hand I pay for free water now it's going to take my lifetme to recoop the cost.

By the way our neighbors surface well is still very low.  The 2" of rain this past week did not help.  After a dry winter and spring and then only about 7" of rain since June 1 its going to take the ground water a long time to recoop.  We need a couple of tropical systems this fall to really help.

17 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

When I bought this house in 1989 as a fixer upper it only had a 25 foot deep surface well.   We spent a huge amount of money  (I think around $8000?) and drilled a deep well.  They didn't hit water till 700 frickin feet.  They kept asking me if I wanted them to go deeper and I was in it for so much money that I just kept saying keep going.  Finally hit water and it replenishes at around 4 gallons a minute.  We drilled the well around the year 2000.   Couple of years ago the pump went bad and they had to pull it and replace it.  I think that was around $1500.  So on one hand I pay for free water now it's going to take my lifetme to recoop the cost.

By the way our neighbors surface well is still very low.  The 2" of rain this past week did not help.  After a dry winter and spring and then only about 7" of rain since June 1 its going to take the ground water a long time to recoop.  We need a couple of tropical systems this fall to really help.

Bingo.  The water isn't free.  You are paying one way or another for a well to be installed and/or maintained.

it has been extremely dry from Plymouth out onto the Cape...I had hopes this latest pattern would bring thunder storms or even tropical downpours...not much made it past Carver...now i'm hoping for a Tropical system...going to be a while before we hit the season where we will start getting Nor'easters...

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I live up in Central NH so don't follow the radar that closely down in the hardest hit drought areas in E Mass and SE NH.  How much rain feel with this past system?  I know scattered showers/storms passed through but is there a radar simulated map showing rain totals the past couple of days.

Another dry stretch coming with next rain/storm chance around Monday. 

We only got about 0.10 over the past few days around the Lawrence/Methuen/Dracut area  I think we are around 3-3.25" since June 1st.

18 minutes ago, Dan said:

We only got about 0.10 over the past few days around the Lawrence/Methuen/Dracut area  I think we are around 3-3.25" since June 1st.

Thanks for the update.  So it seems in general that the drought continues to get worse in much of New England.  Exceptions with this last system seem to be Northern Vermont and SW NH that got some good rain.   Next chance is with Mondays cold front.

Area of exceptional drought really expanded this week.  I guess its a good thing that so many towns get their water from the Quabbin and Wachusetts Reservoir.  Quabbin is at 87% capacity and Wachusetts is at 91% capacity.   In July the Quabbin watershed received an average of 2.63" inches of rain but Wachusetts watershed got only .83"

Next chance of region wide rain is with frontal passage on Monday.  

As of Wednesday afternoon looks like the drought will continue to worsen over the next 10 days.  Couple of weak systems to give scattered shower/storm chances.  12Z Euro has all of New England getting nothing to 1/3 of an inch over the whole period.  Only N VT gets any appreciable rain.  I don't see how any tropical system could make it this far north with blocking high pressure.  Regardless of anything developing and hitting Florida or the Gulf the moisture looks to make a hard right turn as it gets up towards the Mid Atlantic.  The beat goes on....

Looking at the new drought monitor it looks similar to last week in most areas except SE Mass where severe drought is expanding. Total rainfall expected on the GFS and Euro for the next 10 days looks minimal for SNE.  Nothing to perhaps an half inch.  I would guess next week drought monitor will get considerably worse.  Only caveat would be if we could get some moisture this far north with any tropical system formation down south.  That looks unlikely to me.

5 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Weekly update

20160823_MA_trd.jpg

Wow. Rare indeed. I moved from Central MA (hence the screen name) to CO 6 years ago, and we have only had an inch of rain here since 7/2, and we are hurting but not THAT bad.

I can sympathize about models waaay overdoing QPF in a drought. Integrating/eyeballing the GFS over the past month, we should have had 3-4 inches of rain and we've had 0.17. It will come for you... someday.... hopefully with a good Nor'Easter or four once it's cold enough.

context

.CLIMATE...
As we wind down August, we looked at the annual precipitation to
date. As dry as we have been lately, there have actually been
drier January to August periods. Here is how we rank at each of
the climate sites:

Boston:

1. 16.30" (1965)
12. 20.26" (2016)*
13. 20.28" (1950)
14. 20.45" (1980)

Worcester: