Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

23 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We had zero zero of that rain or any of the convection before it. We can handle drought better then you guys though. As we are far more prone climatilogically. But this is ubsurd. The few tulip trees we have left will be gone if we do not get a good soaking soon. The part of Nassau I live in is a sliver of the north shore hard wood forests due to good soils. We lost huge groves of old growth tulip trees (by far the tallest and biggest trees native to the island that live 500+ years and grow 150' plus) during the 98 late summer drought. There are still a few standing skeletons but for the most part there are no traces. There are a couple groves left that are in a wetter area water table wise. These trees are magnificent for our area just look up the queens giant the largest and oldest tree in nyc. I'm afraid we loose what little we have left in wantagh

Walked across my yard to pick up the newspaper today and noticed that my shoes were caked in dust when I got back inside the house.  Definitely the driest we have been here in recent memory...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drought is very noticeable along the Southern State Pkwy, it looks like a highway out west, the grass has been dead pretty much all summer, you'll see sand blowing around with a good gust of wind.

Meanwhile the vegetation along the LIE is very lush, you'd never know both highways were within 10 miles of each other.

18 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Walked across my yard to pick up the newspaper today and noticed that my shoes were caked in dust when I got back inside the house.  Definitely the driest we have been here in recent memory...

We need rain asap. And a good slow soaking. As our sandy soil will just discharge any high rate event

4 hours ago, Cfa said:

Drought is very noticeable along the Southern State Pkwy, it looks like a highway out west, the grass has been dead pretty much all summer, you'll see sand blowing around with a good gust of wind.

Meanwhile the vegetation along the LIE is very lush, you'd never know both highways were within 10 miles of each other.

The south shore drought is a pretty frequent occurrence in the summer because of the sea breeze effect that kills storms at the coast. It usually evens up by the fall once the effect disappears. My parents told me the same-lawns around Long Beach are mostly brown. And unfortunately any interesting trees there were wiped out by Sandy, Irene and the 2010 nor'easter. There's been replanting around town over the last year but it'll be sad for a long time still. 

In addition to the warmest August at several stations, a few stations are experiencing one of there warmest months on record

Bridgeport CT

Warmest months

78.5...JUL 13

78.4...AUG 16..JUL 94

78.0...JUL 10

LGA

82.8...JUL 10

81.9...JUL 99

81.5...AUG 16

53 minutes ago, bluewave said:

In addition to the warmest August at several stations, a few stations are experiencing one of there warmest months on record

Bridgeport CT

Warmest months

78.5...JUL 13

78.4...AUG 16..JUL 94

78.0...JUL 10

LGA

82.8...JUL 10

81.9...JUL 99

81.5...AUG 16

wow at BDR.   It's been a torch here, but didn't know we were that close to warmest month ever.  

15 hours ago, jm1220 said:

The south shore drought is a pretty frequent occurrence in the summer because of the sea breeze effect that kills storms at the coast. It usually evens up by the fall once the effect disappears. My parents told me the same-lawns around Long Beach are mostly brown. And unfortunately any interesting trees there were wiped out by Sandy, Irene and the 2010 nor'easter. There's been replanting around town over the last year but it'll be sad for a long time still. 

I'm actually surprised the south shore "forest" isn't more pine/evergreen dominant, considering the prevalence of drought conditions. Evergreens are typically found in dry locations. If I owned a house here I'd definitely choose xeric/Mediterranean style plants over trying to maintain a lawn.

I've noticed Long Beach is mostly devoid of large trees, and many look sickly. I hope whatever they choose to plant can stand up to hurricane force winds, salt water, drought, snow, and ice.

6 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I'm actually surprised the south shore "forest" isn't more pine/evergreen dominant, considering the prevalence of drought conditions. Evergreens are typically found in dry locations. If I owned a house here I'd definitely choose xeric/Mediterranean style plants over trying to maintain a lawn.

I've noticed Long Beach is mostly devoid of large trees, and many look sickly. I hope whatever they choose to plant can stand up to hurricane force winds, salt water, drought, snow, and ice.

Well now this Is getting fascinating!!! If you go back in time today Robert Moses days they actually did plant the most salt and drought torrent tree. The Japanese black pine. They were everywhere escaping and becoming an invasive species. Anyone that went to jones beach in the 80s will never forget them. It was literally a Forrest. They got hit by a blight in the 90s and very very few a left. 

Central Park will finish with a mean August temperature of 79.2°. That is the third warmest figure on record. The warmest was 80.3° in 1980 and the second warmest was 79.7° in 2005. Just below 2016 was 2015 with a figure of 79.0°. 2015 went on to have the warmest September on record with a mean temperature of 74.5°.

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Central Park will finish with a mean August temperature of 79.2°. That is the third warmest figure on record. The warmest was 80.3° in 1980 and the second warmest was 79.7° in 2005. Just below 2016 was 2015 with a figure of 79.0°. 2015 went on to have the warmest September on record with a mean temperature of 74.5°.

Looks like Aug 2016 will be warmest on record at LGA.

Its been hot but based purely on impressions it doesn't strike me as being all time hottest territory. I think I'm getting acclimated to a new standard of whats considered hot. 

17 minutes ago, dWave said:

Looks like Aug 2016 will be warmest on record at LGA.

Its been hot but based purely on impressions it doesn't strike me as being all time hottest territory. I think I'm getting acclimated to a new standard of whats considered hot. 

Persistent warmth rather than a period of extreme warmth produced what appears to be a record warm August at LGA and 3rd warmest on record at Central Park.

9 hours ago, Cfa said:

The large trees in Long Beach (lots of sycamores) were largely knocked out by the storms I mentioned, and new trees have been planted, but it'll be years before they really grow. What Sandy's winds didn't blow down, the salt water and chemicals in the water killed. And yeah, the summers without as much rain as north of the Southern State doesn't help. Hopefully Hermine or remnants can give a nice soaking. On July 25th in Long Beach we had some very nasty storms that flooded streets, but nothing since. 

Archived