Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

despite strong off-shore winds today, SSTs are still around 77° ; I was expecting some up-welling today to bring it down closer to normal but am surprised it's still at 77

Yeah I was watching too. the buoys might not tell the whole story. They are between 10-30 miles offshore. best upwelling happens right along the shore. Take a look at the satellite imagery from today. 

image.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Wxnyc said:

Here in my summer home in the Catskills mountains near Liberty , N.Y. at 1,520 feet ,it was a cool day, only reached 66 with a brisk west/northwest wind. Winds died down this evening and temps are dropping fast , 55 here now with a dew point of 46. I would not be surprised to see it bottom out at 45-48 overnight. I go back to Brooklyn in a week and it could take 3 months to get a temperature reading in the 40s there again.

Pretty much the same temp here 30 miles to your SE... 56/47

38 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

despite strong off-shore winds today, SSTs are still around 77° ; I was expecting some up-welling today to bring it down closer to normal but am surprised it's still at 77

Sandy hook water temp down to 78, after being in the low 80s for quite a while, even touching mid 80s at times. Similar situation down at Cape May, down to 77.

1 hour ago, snywx said:

Pretty much the same temp here 30 miles to your SE... 56/47

It happens to be true that daily highs are chillier here at higher elevations while the coldest lows tend to happen in the valleys. Middletown is at a much lower elevation than here but in a good calm clear night can fall as low as us. 

1 hour ago, Wxnyc said:

It happens to be true that daily highs are chillier here at higher elevations while the coldest lows tend to happen in the valleys. Middletown is at a much lower elevation than here but in a good calm clear night can fall as low as us. 

Areas with lower elevations almost always dominate with radiational cooling type setups. In my particular case im not exactly in a valley. I sit on the east facing slope of the Shawangunk Ridge. Middletown is quite expansive and covers a good amount of real estate in western orange county. 

Currently 51/47 here..

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

37 at Saranac Lake

Wow, they drop quickly up there.  54° was the low here this morning.  I agree Isotherm, it's almost a "tradition" that we get some mornings in the 50s.  August '14 had quite a few low 50° mornings here if I'm not mistaken.  

15 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Wow, they drop quickly up there.  54° was the low here this morning.  I agree Isotherm, it's almost a "tradition" that we get some mornings in the 50s.  August '14 had quite a few low 50° mornings here if I'm not mistaken.  

2014 was a cool summer. I miss it dearly.

16 minutes ago, Morris said:

2014 was a cool summer. I miss it dearly.

It was pretty nice actually.  July had some hot and humid days to make it feel like Summer, but by August it really cooled down.  I do remember some pretty hot days in September though.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Since 2001 LGA has had only 3 cool summers. The only below normal temperature summers were 2004, 2009, and 2014 or about once every 5 years.

2003 kinda cool too

LGA:

2003:
Jun: -3.9
Jul: +0.0
Aug:  +1.8

2004:
Jun: +0.3
Jul: -1.5
AUG: -0.9

2009:
Jul: -2.9
Aug:  +1.4

2014:
Jul: -0.4
Aug: -1.2

32 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

2003 kinda cool too

LGA:

2003:
Jun: -3.9
Jul: +0.0
Aug:  +1.8

2004:
Jul: -1.5
AUG: -0.9

2009:
Jul: -2.9
Aug:  +1.4

2014:
Jul: -0.4
Aug: -1.2

I got -2.3 for June..+0.3..July...and +2.3 for August 2003 and a finish of +0.1 at LGA.

The August heatwave with the famous blackout erased the earlt cooler departures.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-0169270E-00F7-4BD4-AAA8-2BE3FF73A9A4.pdf

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/lcd/lcd.html?_page=0&state=NY&_target1=Next+>

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I got -2.3 for June..+0.3..July...and +2.3 for August 2003 and a finish of +0.1 at LGA.

The August heatwave with the famous blackout erased the earlt cooler departures.

Ill have to recheck my june #'s but Jun 03 was almost record cool if not for the last week heatwave.  The summer overall evened out, but very wet.

Archived