Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

If we get any TCs up this way over the next couple of months, that could be a problem.

Actually not at all. Maybe a slight boost but upwell down only 20 feet and temps are in the 50s. Especially if the track is a normal recurve which puts us on the offshore wind so e which really really upwells. We need another sandy track 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

I looked through the data from 08 to the present, and the highest reading I saw in any given year was 27.3C, which is just a tad over 81F.  Yesterday beat it.  I posted this data a couple pages back.

Were you able to get any of the data going back to 1975?  I cant figure out how to get it other downloading one year at a time. 

That line just moved through here in northeastern bergen county. Was under the brightest echos on radar. No wind but very heavy rain with lots of thunder and lightning. Hearing lots of sirens now so I guess lightning struck somewhere around here considering there was absolutely no wind. Pretty good storm

18 minutes ago, dWave said:

Most vivid, intimidating lightening I can remember. Whoa. People kind of freaking out on the street.  Its looks like its not just in the sky but all around you. Hard to explain but its a crazy sight  

Yeah the lightning is pretty crazy. I can still see it off to my east and the storm is over the LI sound. I guess that's what crazy high dew points will bring 

4 hours ago, Euripides said:

So much for widespread Thunderstorms for today.

Does Vegas take bets the under each time they call for rain? Take the under and you would have made a fortune this year outside of a handful of losing bets.

Was a steam bath in Manhattan after a brief shower when I left around 5pm.

They only take the money line and it was +145 on no rain.

6 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Central LI force-field is still holding.  Great light show as we watched storm heading right at us and once again it just vaporizes on our doorstep.  That may be premature...there is still a slight chance we get a sprinkle.

Vaporize it did. Of the places I have ever lived, this area gets the least amount of thunderstorms. As soon as storms pass Greenlawn they die a quick death. Even where I grew up in Melville is much better than here. And the few decent storms we got were during the work day. My mother in law made sure to tell me how great those storms were haha

19 minutes ago, doncat said:

Gotta say its been a pretty impressive heat wave...hi's last 7 days here of 90,94,96,98,97,93 and 92...low temps between 73 and 78 during that stretch. Missed todays rain, 0.50" past 7 days...may keep this 90 streak going a little while longer.

Agreed; 7 consecutive days in the 90s with those low temperatures is impressive. We might be able to pull off 90F the rest of the week. Central Park may fall short some days, but EWR/LGA and most of us should continue tomorrow, Thurs, Fri, maybe through this weekend. The disparity between NYC and EWR 90 degree days will be extreme at the end of this season. Here, the stretch of highs has been: 90, 92, 95, 96.4, 94, 90, 90. Lows all 73-78 except day 1.

While the worst of the heat hasn't been nearly as intense as some of the more recent 100+ degree heatwaves, the longevity is starting to approach more rarefied territory. The Central Park record for consecutive 90+ days is most likely out of reach, but you'd think LGA or EWR might have a crack at it. Anyone know their records?

59 minutes ago, masomenos said:

While the worst of the heat hasn't been nearly as intense as some of the more recent 100+ degree heatwaves, the longevity is starting to approach more rarefied territory. The Central Park record for consecutive 90+ days is most likely out of reach, but you'd think LGA or EWR might have a crack at it. Anyone know their records?

NYC missed 90 today EWR had 14 straight 90(+) days in 2010 this one will likely end at 9 or 10.

4 hours ago, masomenos said:

Central Park record is 12 straight.

I believe LGA record is 12 too. That looks safe.  Right now LGA has 6 straight  

(89, 89,) 97, 98, 98, 98, 93, 91.

Lows 75 - 84. 

Hottest day overall was Sat (8/13)

98/84 mean temp 91. 

I've basically been in line with LGA with with one more non consecutive 90+ day

( 91, [87,] 98, 96, 98, 94, 94, 91)

While the second half of Augusts doesn't look as hot as the  first, several regional stations have a shot at yet another 

top ten warmest streak which began in May 2015.

Warmest to coolest monthly departures so far:

POU...+5.3

LGA...+4.9

BDR...+4.8

PHL...+4.3

EWR...+3.8

ISP....+3.8

TTN...+3.8

NYC...+3.7

JFK...+3.4

Archived