Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eduardo said:

South Shore has been getting the shaft, especially near me in Lindenhurst.  Only a few drops yesterday for about three minutes.  Big storm that clipped towns just a few miles to my west a few weeks ago offered a glimmer of hope, but then slid southward and offshore. 

My lawn has that brown, crunchy, straw-like texture to it.  Can definitely use some rain!

It's ridiculous. At this point I'd gladly take a low end extreme rainfall event. Only received 0.02" yesterday, and just big raindrops today.

But keep the heat+humidity coming, my banana plant grew about an inch since I watered it at 8 PM.

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Looks like a wet night for areas north of NYC. Been pretty much a bust for areas south of there. All this talk a tropical downpours etc. 

These storms were always supposed to be hit or miss.  I really don't consider this a bust.  The airmass is very tropical.  And where these storms have hit, there's been very heavy rain.

22 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Day 3 of the dew/ heatwave. Today and tomorrow will be the most oppressive days probably all summer.

I have been going through the JFK dew point records. It appears that this is the first 2 days in a row since 2005 and 1995 with the daily average dew point 

of 75 degrees or greater. So far today the average is 75 degrees again. 2 days may be the record but I a not sure if I missed a month here or there.

Other times the highest hourly dew point reached 75 but fell and the average daily dew point dropped under 75. So the guidance looks like we

are on track to set a new 3-5 day highest average dew point streak

Only 2 day 75 or greater dew point streaks at JFK that I could find...could not find any 3 day streaks..

7/25/95...76

7/26/95...76

7/18/05...75

7/19/05..75

8/10/16..75

8/11/16..76

Here are the records if you think you can remember a month with 3 days in a row or more:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/lcd/lcd.html

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I have been going through the JFK dew point records. It appears that this is the first 2 days in a row since 2005 and 1995 with the daily average dew point 

of 75 degrees or greater. So far today the average is 75 degrees again. 2 days may be the record but I a not sure if I missed a month here or there.

Other times the highest hourly dew point reached 75 but fell and the average daily dew point dropped under 75. So the guidance looks like we

are on track to set a new 3-5 day highest average dew point streak

Only 2 day 75 or greater dew point streaks at JFK that I could find...could not find any 3 day streaks..

7/25/95...76

7/26/95...76

7/18/05...75

7/19/05..75

8/10/16..75

8/11/16..76

Here are the records if you think you can remember a month with 3 days in a row or more:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/lcd/lcd.html?_page=1&state=NY&stationID=94789&_target2=Next+>

Pretty darn impressive to say the least and at least 2 more days of it coming up as well. Later today looks like it'll be active. 

Archived