Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

57 minutes ago, snywx said:

So i had to take a quick drive to Pine Bush today around 2pm and decided ahh wth ill drive an extra 10 mins and take a weenie drive up to Cragsmoor perched up on the Shawangunk Ridge. Man oh man its deep winter up there. Drove on Sams Point Rd up to about 2100' and roughly 6" throughout the area. That drive on 52 always a nice one. Im sure most of you guys already know but man what a weenie spot Cragsmoor is lol.  

I told you the ridge got hammered, I drove up 44-55 to the top of miniwaska (only about 10 min drive from my house) but the snow totals were atleast doubled

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, snywx said:

I finished with 28" here. My folks over in Highland Mills had 36". That event came in with a solid foot already on the ground too! Snow pack fetish was in full effect that month

That was the best storm ever for me, January 1996 was a close second.

I also live in Highland Mills and had 35" from the Snowicane, the best part was it rained in Boston and most of eastern New England the whole storm. I'm kind of sadistic that way.

Getting more curious if we can take full advantage of the deep arctic air in place Saturday to squeeze out every morsel of WAA snow with a progged very strong warm front approaching. Wondering if high pressure will be in a better position for the cold to leave slowly before being overwhelmed by the southerly flow. Any thoughts on the depth of the CAD setup and if we can get more substantial frozen for everyone, not just elevation folks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

That was the best storm ever for me, January 1996 was a close second.

I also live in Highland Mills and had 35" from the Snowicane, the best part was it rained in Boston and most of eastern New England the whole storm. I'm kind of sadistic that way.

lol.. It pretty much rained most of the event like 15 miles to your east. 

8 minutes ago, sn0w said:

Is the "big" mountain (for around here) that you can see to the West from one of those parking areas off the northern parts of the Taconic Parkway part of the Shawangunk ridge?

That's the Catskill Escarpment you can see from the scenic overlooks along the Taconic. The gunks are comparatively smaller, though I'm pretty sure Skytop in Mohonk is visible from hills in my hood. 

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That's the Catskill Escarpment you can see from the scenic overlooks along the Taconic. The gunks are comparatively smaller, though I'm pretty sure Skytop in Mohonk is visible from hills in my hood. 

Yup you're right...just google imaged that and it's exactly what I meant. Thanks...always wondered.

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Well the bar is set so high now.  Some think that its a bust if there isn't a blockbuster nor'easter followed by bitter cold. 

Also we throw around the word "torch" WAY too much... upper 30s low 40s is AN perhaps... but not "torch"   +15-30 is a torch.. 60s and 70s on xmas is a torch, not 30-40 lol

20 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Also we throw around the word "torch" WAY too much... upper 30s low 40s is AN perhaps... but not "torch"   +15-30 is a torch.. 60s and 70s on xmas is a torch, not 30-40 lol

Agreed.  I've also learned in my 18 or so years on these boards that one often can not appreciate or see whats right in front of them when they are constantly looking for the "big dog" off in the distance.  This is a general comment and not specific to the current pattern. 

10 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Agreed.  I've also learned in my 18 or so years on these boards that one often can not appreciate or see whats right in front of them when they are constantly looking for the "big dog" off in the distance.  This is a general comment and not specific to the current pattern. 

Case in point... not appreciating the possibility of a few inches pre-xmas

2 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Anyone else thinks that radar is looking far better than modeled? 

Also so Nam is showing temps spike to mid 30s yet 850s are -10.... not sure I buy that for a sec, this should be all snow on whatever pushes through

it's a coming,that wicked band/forcing will almost beeline for our area later,also of note there is a weak low just inland from the delmarva coast moving over the ocean soon. energies interacting with above average sst's and a incoming artic explosion will fire up the forcing right along the coast...been preaching this since very early ulster,lets see how it goes.B)

Archived