Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It's a very pretty scene outside with 4.3" of relatively wet snow. Power was out until just a few minutes ago. Real nice event imby given expectations, and especially since it was still 50F when I went to bed at 11:30 last night. 

Either the 50 degrees or the 4" of snow is a lie man, we know snow cant accumulate after warmth. Stop it.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Animal said:

so I checked the Mt Holly snow reports. They did not post it.

I called and spoke with a guy on the phone and was told they are not going to post it as they don't believe it. no way I got that much snow I was told. They are reviewing other reports as a priority.

What the heck is going on there....

That's because others are reporting much less in the 6 inch range .  I have many friends up there and all there photos show between 5,5- a little over 6 . Elevation in those people I know are between. 1200-1350. Either way it's a nice storm but sorry no way it's as much as you say .   

I measured 4.0 inches here, Highland Mills, central eastern Orange County, and I'm only at elevation 600 feet, and I think some compression had already started when I measured at 8:00 am.

Anyhow shades of two years ago, November 26 2014 when we received 9 inches the night before Thanksgiving and the coast was shut out. Hopefully this is a sign we're reverting back to the winter of 2014/15 anything to wipe  out the nightmare of last winter.

5 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

That's because others are reporting much less in the 6 inch range .  I have many friends up there and all there photos show between 5,5- a little over 6 . Elevation in those people I know are between. 1200-1350. Either way it's a nice storm but sorry no way it's as much as you say .   

Not sure what to say about post.

I got 9 inches and have plenty of additional photos if I need to post them.

Just now, rgwp96 said:

It sucks beause it switched over really fast but my temp at 400 ft stayed about 35 the whole time .  

Yeah, I dropped to 33° early on and I thought that was a good sign.  Unfortunately it switched back and forth between sleet and snow, which created a slushy mixture.  By the time the snow really came down it just didn't have enough time to grab and accumulate.

From what it seems at least, elevation looks to have been slightly more important in NJ.  Here you really wanted to be at 1,000' or more, but 850' was probably the threshold for decent accumulations.  Anyone around my area that was under 400' was lucky to get a sugar coating, whereas Rob and HudsonValley both got over an inch and are at 385' and 125' respectively.  Interesting setup with this one.

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:
I measured 4.0 inches here, Highland Mills, central eastern Orange County, and I'm only at elevation 600 feet, and I think some compression had already started when I measured at 8:00 am.

Anyhow shades of two years ago, November 26 2014 when we received 9 inches the night before Thanksgiving and the coast was shut out. Hopefully this is a sign we're reverting back to the winter of 2014/15 anything to wipe  out the nightmare of last winter.

I hope so. 14/15 was a great winter for the coast too with snowfall 175% of normal 

Archived