Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

33 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

This seems to go against the reality that we're seeing.  The west side of the river is showing significantly above avg and where I am is a little less but still above.  Is the long term below to significantly below?  Just east of here dries out a lot and that can be seen when you drive through, leaves are falling and rivers/creeks/lakes are way down.  There are areas in MA and NH where they are so dry brush fires happen frequently and there are serious water restrictions.

I see what you're saying.  That map seems to show you in a green region if I'm not mistaken, and yet it's very dry and crunchy up there as you note.  Here in Northern Morris it's showing me with a deficit, yet everything is still mostly lush and green.  I will say though, signs of dryness are beginning to show up, like dry leaves falling.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

This seems to go against the reality that we're seeing.  The west side of the river is showing significantly above avg and where I am is a little less but still above.  Is the long term below to significantly below?  Just east of here dries out a lot and that can be seen when you drive through, leaves are falling and rivers/creeks/lakes are way down.  There are areas in MA and NH where they are so dry brush fires happen frequently and there are serious water restrictions.

I can't help but think how we got the precipitation is a factor. It's not like we get measurable rain once or twice a week. IMBY, I got a few inches that one day in July with a lot of runoff and then went weeks without any rain. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I can't help but think how we got the precipitation is a factor. It's not like we get measurable rain once or twice a week. IMBY, I got a few inches that one day in July with a lot of runoff and then went weeks without any rain. 

Thats gotta be it i would assume. Lose a lot to runoff or filling the reservoirs (which still arent all that low), whereas had we had the same amount of rain over a week vs a day it would have been more beneficial.

21 hours ago, gravitylover said:

It has been raining lightly for a while now. Won't amount to much but it's dampening the surface a bit. Too bad a few hours of sun and we'll be back to dusty.

We haven't even had morning dew midway down the valley. Very rare for September. 

That's a good point, we haven't either.  I do remember quite a few years where the end of the summer was pretty dry if we hadn't seen a tropical storm but I don't remember it this dry.  Things look mighty green and lush from the early season rains but it's false.  My lawn was getting dry and crackly after the dry spring then greened up again but now it's drying out once more.  The reservoirs are starting to show it and the creeks have been mostly dry for a few weeks now.  Soil moisture is way down and the leaves are already changing and falling.  

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

That's a good point, we haven't either.  I do remember quite a few years where the end of the summer was pretty dry if we hadn't seen a tropical storm but I don't remember it this dry.  Things look mighty green and lush from the early season rains but it's false.  My lawn was getting dry and crackly after the dry spring then greened up again but now it's drying out once more.  The reservoirs are starting to show it and the creeks have been mostly dry for a few weeks now.  Soil moisture is way down and the leaves are already changing and falling.  

Speaking of soil moisture...the lack of.... it's going to allow us to roast through at least late september.  I'm not one to love the GFS beyond hour 6, but wow it looks hot all the way through.  The coldest frame I could find for the NW burbs is Sunday night. And it's not cold.

40s.png

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

yeah, I'm at wits' end with the heat and humidity. Even this morning at 67/67 was pretty miserable on my sunrise hike. It just saps your energy and wears you down after a while.

absolutely.  autumn has apparently been postponed.  woke up to singing cicadas this morning. haha.

the touristy places are attracting the apple pickers on the weekends, but the honeycrisp are the only decent apple before the first frost.  at this rate, we'll have the AC on for christmas again.

I'm 300 feet from the Wallkill River, 400 feet from a small pond/wetland, and 900 feet from a large pond, I usually don't have any trouble doing the dew IMBY, which I have done various mornings recently but not this morning.  I'm with you guys, this weather is painfully boring.  I think most of us knew we were heading into a warm fall but the higher dew points are getting old, especially since it doesn't rain anymore.  Having to use the AC on a regular basis at this point in the year is really starting to grind my gears.    

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'm 300 feet from the Wallkill River, 400 feet from a small pond/wetland, and 900 feet from a large pond, I usually don't have any trouble doing the dew IMBY, which I have done various mornings recently but not this morning.  I'm with you guys, this weather is painfully boring.  I think most of us knew we were heading into a warm fall but the higher dew points are getting old, especially since it doesn't rain anymore.  Having to use the AC on a regular basis at this point in the year is really starting to grind my gears.    

i'm a few hundred feet above lake wallkill... see profile pic. aside from the glancing blow from the big blizzard of 16, and the few severe thunderstorms that dropped a couple inches of runoff at a time, it has been unbearable.

another few months of this, and wells are going to start to run dry.

20 minutes ago, weatherquiz said:

i'm a few hundred feet above lake wallkill... see profile pic. aside from the glancing blow from the big blizzard of 16, and the few severe thunderstorms that dropped a couple inches of runoff at a time, it has been unbearable.

another few months of this, and wells are going to start to run dry.

That's the view from your house? Pretty sweet if so. Which direction does that view face?

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

A low of 74 is warm in July around here let alone the second week of September, it's 20 or so degrees above normal. This is getting stupid. 

Yup, last night was as warm and muggy as you'll ever see during some summers. There's a pretty good shot of cooler air on the GFS for late next week, stay tuned...

Yes please.

Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Northwest wind 7 to 11 mph.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 76.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 55.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 80.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 60.
Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 77.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 68.

Archived